What 1:1 car should I buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a loaded question. Seen the price of cars these days. :rolleyes:
Having been a Toyota tech, and I still drive only Toys.
But dam all are expensive. And you don't always get what you pay for. No matter the brand. The used car market is still also a mess. All that is left is the garbage, with high pricing. Still. I get people wanting and offering to buy my 2006 Highander. Just its Not for sale. I find notes on it with their phone numbers. Even though its value has almost doubled, if I sell it now, what would I buy?????? I would get raped anyway.
Tough time to buy any new or used car, New might be better however. Avoid a lease or financaing at all costs IF possible. Look at those Interest rates now. I want to puke.:rolleyes: But if you need a car, Good luck. I recommend is a NEW Toyota, any New model. Be very careful with used ones. They are all a mixed bag. Much are just "cleaned up" and tired garbage. I am currenty helping out an elderly man purchase a used car. On the phone with dealers etc. I am like WTF is going on here with the industry in the last 3 years. I saw it unfolding, and now trying find one for an old friend, is crazy. What garbage they have left. There are few Used cars on the market left. Go New if anything, if you can afford it. Only for the Factory warranty. Hyundai, Honda , Toyota's. That's all I would look at. New or Used Nissans aren't all that. Bad tranny's etc. Especially their CVT ones. Hybrids add a premium that you will never recoup with any gas savings in the long run.
GM is hurting, QC is Horrible. Same with Ford and Chry. These big 3 are sending off to auction last years models that never sold. Too expensive for buyers. Mfr wont replenish with the new models until Dealers sell off last years inventory. So Now even last years new cars are going to auction. Times are really bad for that to happen.
Totally agree..I was at a auction last month in Connecticut with my ex boss from the shop I used to work in and he asked me to go with him because of my experience and knowledge and I'll tell ya .we saw only 2 Toyotas for sale .one was a camery.2010 and a Tacoma 2000 .the camery sold for 14,000k with 162,k on it and the Tacoma had 189k so yeah used Toyotas are highly sought after regardless of miles..why? Because they are the best when it comes to reliability and hold there value well.at the auctions the Spanish guys all over them and none of us can even bid on them because they will out bud you in a heart beat no matter the price..they know they won't last long on the lot.

CarFAx has always been and remains a Scam. Nothing new here at all. Looked over tons of them over the years. A dealer knows what they are selling. A Carfax is what they push. Yet it tells you very little. And never correct. Many cars are severely damaged. What remains as used cars. And many owners pay cash to repair. Don't use insurance. Carfax can only reveal when there is an insurance claim. Many dealers "clean up" severly damaged cars that an insurance company would just assume total it out for Salvage. No one knows, and def. not CarFax or the other ones.. Need a keen eye of a professional to look over any used car. I looked over 6 cars in 2 weeks. All were tired clapped out jalopy's, and they are asking premium prices. Leaking and burning oil, Headgaskets blown out. Yet many look nice and shiny. They were just reconditioned for the eye appeal. For the sale. Then you are stuck with repairs costing more than the car is even worth.
I worked for dealers at auction before. Its a dirty business. Now more than ever.

Better bring a OBD Scantool with you when shopping used cars. Plug in to every single car, it will filter out much of the garbage you see and quickly, so you don't waste time. How I fly. I rather spend 5 or 10 min Scanning it before climbing underneath and checking the frame and other stuff first. Many dealers roll back the Odo's too. They will usually roll it back to the last known CarFax reading, whatever it was. A dirty business.:rolleyes: Here in NY at least. If you never read many carfax reports, you would miss alot. Need to read between the lines. Dealers offer it like it is gold or something. Like they are so honest. It's a selling game. Carfax was created for the industry not the consumer. Caveat Emptor applies. ( "let the buyer beware") Look for Private sale used car. What I would do for used one. That why I find notes on my car. Most buyers figured it out and don't trust the garbage at car dealers, especially since there are so few used ones. Might take months to find a good one IMHO.
Totally agree..I was at a auction last month in Connecticut with my ex boss from the shop I used to work in and he asked me to go with him because of my experience and knowledge and I'll tell ya .we saw only 2 Toyotas for sale .one was a camery.2010 and a Tacoma 2000 .the camery sold for 14,000k with 162,k on it and the Tacoma had 189k so yeah used Toyotas are highly sought after regardless of miles..why? Because they are the best when it comes to reliability and hold there value well.at the auctions the Spanish guys all over them and none of us can even bid on them because they will out bud you in a heart beat no matter the price..they know they won't last long on the lot.
+1

Last edited:
Tacoma sold for 13k
CarFAx has always been and remains a Scam. Nothing new here at all. Looked over tons of them over the years. A dealer knows what they are selling. A Carfax is what they push. Yet it tells you very little. And never correct. Many cars are severely damaged. What remains as used cars. And many owners pay cash to repair. Don't use insurance. Carfax can only reveal when there is an insurance claim. Many dealers "clean up" severly damaged cars that an insurance company would just assume total it out for Salvage. No one knows, and def. not CarFax or the other ones.. Need a keen eye of a professional to look over any used car. I looked over 6 cars in 2 weeks. All were tired clapped out jalopy's, and they are asking premium prices. Leaking and burning oil, Headgaskets blown out. Yet many look nice and shiny. They were just reconditioned for the eye appeal. For the sale. Then you are stuck with repairs costing more than the car is even worth.
I worked for dealers at auction before. Its a dirty business. Now more than ever.

Better bring a OBD Scantool with you when shopping used cars. Plug in to every single car, it will filter out much of the garbage you see and quickly, so you don't waste time. How I fly. I rather spend 5 or 10 min Scanning it before climbing underneath and checking the frame and other stuff first. Many dealers roll back the Odo's too. They will usually roll it back to the last known CarFax reading, whatever it was. A dirty business.:rolleyes: Here in NY at least. If you never read many carfax reports, you would miss alot. Need to read between the lines. Dealers offer it like it is gold or something. Like they are so honest. It's a selling game. Carfax was created for the industry not the consumer. Caveat Emptor applies. ( "let the buyer beware")

+1
I have a snap on scanner .bought it back in 2015 and I just finished paying it off last summer.cost me just a little over 3k plus interest due to financing.guess what I had to update the soft ware on it cost me more money and most of the vehicle's over 2018 I can't even use it in.only dealers have the right plug and soft ware .it's all made that you have to go back to the dealership pay 200 or so for the diagnostic fee .a few years ago I had to put in a ecm.the brain of your car and I bought one cheap on eBay.installed it and when I tryed to reprogram it my scanner would not allow me to..why? Because only dealerships can..it's a joke I swear.

Last edited:
So many options

IMG_7600.png

IMG_7599.png

IMG_7598.png

Tacoma sold for 13k

I have a snap on scanner .bought it back in 2015 and I just finished paying it off last summer.cost me just a little over 3k plus interest due to financing.guess what I had to update the soft ware on it cost me more money and most of the vehicle's over 2018 I can't even use it in.only dealers have the right plug and soft ware .it's all made that you have to go back to the dealership pay 200 or so for the diagnostic fee .a few years ago I had to put in a ecm.the brain of your car and I bought one cheap on eBay.installed it and when I tryed to reprogram it my scanner would not allow me to..why? Because only dealerships can..it's a joke I swear.
There is no special plug needed for any Car. The OBD2 port is standard across all makes, all years. It is universal by Law. It has not changed. Software updates required is an issue with the scan tool maker. They want you to keep paying $$$. A subscription fee thing. Or you can get locked out of the menu sometimes, getting that pester screen to update, depending on the model.. Some SnapOns are this way. Sucks.
Sure there are software changes required, but you don't need them to do a cursery scan for codes and sensor data. Depends how deep you want to get into the System data. If you need to correct and find the issue., you may need to have the latest software. I agree. But it s the Tech's Experience not which scantool that matters.

my youngest just turned 18 last October and for full coverage and under my policy I'm still paying 325 a month from progressive.
Progressive will jack you over in a hard way, I'm 16, got my insurance from Allstate. Insurance only covers me and not the truck, bare minimum basically, and it's $110/month. Dad and mom paid the upfront and I do the monthly payments. Look around, shouldn't be too hard to get something cheaper. I'm in Washington state also

Progressive will jack you over in a hard way, I'm 16, got my insurance from Allstate. Insurance only covers me and not the truck, bare minimum basically, and it's $110/month. Dad and mom paid the upfront and I do the monthly payments. Look around, shouldn't be too hard to get something cheaper. I'm in Washington state also
Sorry I should have mentioned that's my toatly amount I pay per month for 4 cars with full coverage on each.for adding my son on my policy it's 170 a month.and that's with a student credit and a high honor student credit.so 325 for 4 full coverage is a deal .I also have tons of credits like multiple car credit house insurance credit and good driving credit. My house insurance isn't part of that payment that's separate .but if your parents get a policy from them that credit will be giving also I get a loyalty credit.been with progressive for 15 years.i also have my son under part time driver which brings it down a little

Sorry I should have mentioned that's my toatly amount I pay per month for 4 cars with full coverage on each.for adding my son on my policy it's 170 a month.and that's with a student credit and a high honor student credit.so 325 for 4 full coverage is a deal .I also have tons of credits like multiple car credit house insurance credit and good driving credit. My house insurance isn't part of that payment that's separate .but if your parents get a policy from them that credit will be giving also I get a loyalty credit.been with progressive for 15 years.i also have my son under part time driver which brings it down a little
O I see. Cause this is what progressive quoted me a month ago🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Screenshot_20230520-133750.png

@kspitters get somethin that feels fast but tops out at 90. Also get a manual, they are way more fun to drive!! They aid in the "feel fast" part. I learned to drive stick in about 3 weeks, but it helps if you understand how a clutch works, and how the trans and the engine work together. How are gas and diesel prices out in Michigan?

@speeding_Infraction .you mentioned your insurance only covers you not your truck?? I think you meant that you have only liability..just enough to get on the road.. and covers medical and the other drivers vehicle if damaged by you which is ok if your vehicle is to old and no value.but you'll be at a loss if it's totaled.due to expenses worth more than the value of the truck.in my son's case he is only 17 and his car is a 2015 and it's still worth good money and since he is young although he is a very responsible I don't trust others and if he gets into a accident and the other party decides to sue me for my house I decided full coverage is best..I have freinds at work that has happened to them and full coverage coverd them well.
@speeding_Infraction how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

@speeding_Infraction .you mentioned your insurance only covers you not your truck?? I think you meant that you have only liability..just enough to get on the road.. and covers medical and the other drivers vehicle if damaged by you which is ok if your vehicle is to old and no value.but you'll be at a loss if it's totaled.due to expenses worth more than the value of the truck.in my son's case he is only 17 and his car is a 2015 and it's still worth good money and since he is young although he is a very responsible I don't trust others and if he gets into a accident and the other party decides to sue me for my house I decided full coverage is best..I have freinds at work that has happened to them and full coverage coverd them well.
Yeah but it was gonna be north of $300 a month to cover the truck, I figured liability would be good enough for now, my truck's a 1989 and not worth much so I don't have much to lose.
how old are you if you don't mind me asking?
17 as of Wednesday

Definitely get full coverage!

Last time I jumped my Sledge into a steel fence the insurance company said the other party was uninsured/underinsured and I would have to pay out of pocket. WTH! Expensive lesson for sure.

O I see. Cause this is what progressive quoted me a month ago🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

View attachment 300935
@kspitters get somethin that feels fast but tops out at 90. Also get a manual, they are way more fun to drive!! They aid in the "feel fast" part. I learned to drive stick in about 3 weeks, but it helps if you understand how a clutch works, and how the trans and the engine work together. How are gas and diesel prices out in Michigan?
A manual transmission can save you in sales and in miles per gallon . vehicle's with automatic transmissions are more expensive than manual. But on saving gas in manual transmissions it depends also on the driver.so someone who loves to high rev and not shift when your supposed to at the right RPMs you'll use more gas.

A manual transmission can save you in sales and in miles per gallon . vehicle's with automatic transmissions are more expensive than manual. But on saving gas in manual transmissions it depends also on the driver.so someone who loves to high rev and not shift when your supposed to at the right RPMs you'll use more gas.
Yeah I need to learn how to shift so it's nice on gas. My truck gets 11 mpg on a good day, thankfully I know where to get gas cheap but it's gotta get better. Was looking at a couple diesel VW's....

Definitely get full coverage!

Last time I jumped my Sledge into a steel fence the insurance company said the other party was uninsured/underinsured and I would have to pay out of pocket. WTH! Expensive lesson for sure.
Exactly.full coverage is almost a must now a days.youll have the protection of uninsured motorist.plus your damages are covered.if you get hit and it's the others party's fault you put a claim on there insurance not yours.your insurance is never even needed .other than you need to notify them that you were in a accident .if the other insurance doesn't claim responsibility then you sue the other party for medical and your vehicle's damages .
Yeah I need to learn how to shift so it's nice on gas. My truck gets 11 mpg on a good day, thankfully I know where to get gas cheap but it's gotta get better. Was looking at a couple diesel VW's....
Shifting is pretty much by feel and sound.youll know when to shift at that sweet spot.and trust me you'll know when you over reved it.on some newer cars there is a indicator on your instrument cluster that shows a arrow or light when to shift.don't get me wrong when I was a teen or actually in my twentys when I bought my LX mustang 5.0 sure I loved over reving .made my flowmaster exhaust sound beautiful.on nice long road I loved keeping it on 2nd gear doing 35 to 40 and just lightly tapping the gas pedal .it would make my front end jump and it sounded sweet .was it good for my transmission? Nope but at that age what did I care lol.then I stuck in 373 gears and yup got my self in a lot of trouble with the local cops 🤣🤣 they all knew who I was.after a bunch of tickets I learned to chill .
Oh and don't ride your clutch lol.i had a bad habit on that.went through 3 clutches on my mustang.nothing like the smell of a burned clutch 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
There is no special plug needed for any Car. The OBD2 port is standard across all makes, all years. It is universal by Law. It has not changed. Software updates required is an issue with the scan tool maker. They want you to keep paying $$$. A subscription fee thing. Or you can get locked out of the menu sometimes, getting that pester screen to update, depending on the model.. Some SnapOns are this way. Sucks.
Sure there are software changes required, but you don't need them to do a cursery scan for codes and sensor data. Depends how deep you want to get into the System data. If you need to correct and find the issue., you may need to have the latest software. I agree. But it s the Tech's Experience not which scantool that matters.
Yes your correct.not the plug OBD2 is standard.but I did have to update software.thinking it would work to program the ecm.but I couldn't because only the dealer can.

Yes! That is part of what I’m hoping for. Def looking for a manual. Gas is around 3.60. Diesel around 4.20

Yea, I love studying how cars work. I’ve learned a good bit. I learn pretty quick at most things too.

Jetta TDI and Passat diesel both get 45mpg.
Ya I know, precisely why I was looking at them. Problem is I don't like fwd.
Yes! That is part of what I’m hoping for. Def looking for a manual. Gas is around 3.60. Diesel around 4.20

Yea, I love studying how cars work. I’ve learned a good bit. I learn pretty quick at most things too.
Dang we got gas for 4.49 at my closest station. I can find it for 4.17 if I try hard tho. There's a diesel station right by my school that has diesel for 4.15, which is unbelievable around here.

Ya I know, precisely why I was looking at them. Problem is I don't like fwd.

Dang we got gas for 4.49 at my closest station. I can find it for 4.17 if I try hard tho. There's a diesel station right by my school that has diesel for 4.15, which is unbelievable around here.
I work at a marina. On the water gas is 5.44 a gallon, diesel is 4.60

I just meant have someone look at it and see if there is any problems like leaking fluids and other things that could be potential problems down the road. Maybe get it on a lift and look underneath. I bought a car several years ago from a dealership that when they pulled the carfax for me it showed minor front damage, they replaced front bumper and called it good. Why would I doubt a Carfax report? Went to trade it in and what do you know it had frame damage.
We all know car fax sucks lol .only what gets reported by insurance companies.most of the time you'll only see maintenance that was done or when it was registered and sold and so on ..never go by car fax.again it's a joke

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back