Outcast What are all of the different RC Brands known for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious on why you say that?
If you look at what TA was doing 10 yrs ago they have cut their market in half. At this point they basically have 1/10 2wd buggy market on lock down for racing, but thats it. You don't see their 1/8 stuff win championships, and all of their "fun" basher trucks are long gone. I loved the MGT and the Rival, but solid and durable trucks. But they killed production of both of them.
Axial and Arrma were created at the same time. By Dragon Star RC Of China. And sold to Hobbico 10-11 years ago.
Axial is no "newer" a company than Arrma. HH bought both when Hobbico filed chapter. Saved both brands. HH knew they were popular and scooped them up.

Guys thanks for the discussion, I know understand why all roads lead to hobbico. find a better kit, hell how about just as good as Tekno and I'll buy it.

Traxxas: apple. Overpriced, but easy to use

Horizon Hobby: Traxxas disguised as multiple brands. At least, they're starting to become that.

team Corally: makes sure their parts are in stock before their cars are. In a LHS I was talking to the owner, and he told me that while ARRMA didn't have stock for months (during the great takeover), Corally reached out to him and made sure he had all the spares before letting him sell their trucks. So basically, never out of stock. For some reason, I've seen more corallys than ARRMAs. If they grow enough, they can become a good competitor, wich would drive ARRMA and other competitors to improve even more

Adding 7 more to the bottom of the list and edited comments on some.

Arrma - RTR brand, took the bashing and speed run sections of the hobby by storm.
Team Associated - Race brand and RTR models
Team Losi - Race brand and now playing in the basher RTR market also
Tamiya - Toys, very good at realism though
Kyosho- Race brand
Traxxas - Brought RC to the masses, then seemed to crush hobby shops will to live in recent years.
HPI - Competed with Traxxas and associated for RTR's. Made the savage stronger and easier to work on, then went bankrupt. Trying to come back though.
Axial - cheap crawlers that rivaled integy quality, but now makes pretty good ones.
Mugen Seiki - race oriented
Tekno - Race oriented nitro and electric buggies/truggies. Makes a good MT kit for bashers too.
XTM - cheap rtr's, no longer around
CEN - cheap rtr's
Duratrax - cheap rtr's, now just tires
Hot Bodies - cheap rtr's, a couple racing kits, not sure if still around or not
OFNA/Jammin - cheap rtr's, nice racing kits, no longer around
Hobao - cheap rtr's, not sure what else
Redcat - cheap rtr's that used to be flat out garbage. Seems to now have a few that are somewhat worth buying for bashers and crawlers
X-Ray - Race brand high quality
WL Toys - Cheap Chinese brand but reasonably quality for the price. Focuses mostly on small scale buggies and trucks.
Buri Racer - 1/8 scale 4wd pan cars. Absolute monsters if you have a smooth surface to run on.
FG - extremely expensive but beautiful 1/5 scale cars gas and electric
MCD - another 1/5 scale brand, no first hand knowledge of them.
Rovan - Large scale 1/5 ripping off others designs lately like the Losi 5b and MCD cars.
Schumacher - Race brand RC from Europe

Adding 7 more to the bottom of the list and edited comments on some.

Arrma - RTR brand, took the bashing and speed run sections of the hobby by storm.
Team Associated - Race brand and RTR models
Team Losi - Race brand and now playing in the basher RTR market also
Tamiya - Toys, very good at realism though
Kyosho- Race brand
Traxxas - Brought RC to the masses, then seemed to crush hobby shops will to live in recent years.
HPI - Competed with Traxxas and associated for RTR's. Made the savage stronger and easier to work on, then went bankrupt. Trying to come back though.
Axial - cheap crawlers that rivaled integy quality, but now makes pretty good ones.
Mugen Seiki - race oriented
Tekno - Race oriented nitro and electric buggies/truggies. Makes a good MT kit for bashers too.
XTM - cheap rtr's, no longer around
CEN - cheap rtr's
Duratrax - cheap rtr's, now just tires
Hot Bodies - cheap rtr's, a couple racing kits, not sure if still around or not
OFNA/Jammin - cheap rtr's, nice racing kits, no longer around
Hobao - cheap rtr's, not sure what else
Redcat - cheap rtr's that used to be flat out garbage. Seems to now have a few that are somewhat worth buying for bashers and crawlers
X-Ray - Race brand high quality
WL Toys - Cheap Chinese brand but reasonably quality for the price. Focuses mostly on small scale buggies and trucks.
Buri Racer - 1/8 scale 4wd pan cars. Absolute monsters if you have a smooth surface to run on.
FG - extremely expensive but beautiful 1/5 scale cars gas and electric
MCD - another 1/5 scale brand, no first hand knowledge of them.
Rovan - Large scale 1/5 ripping off others designs lately like the Losi 5b and MCD cars.
Schumacher - Race brand RC from Europe

Hobao also has a crawler and those on raod semi race trucks. Most of their vehicles are available as rtr or a 80% roller, you have to paint the body, glue the tires and provide your own electronics.

Hot Bodies is still around they rebranded themselves as HB Racing. They are still strong in the race scene, no more rtrs since they parted ways with HPI and they just recently released updated versions of their 1/8 platform. I hear their 1/10 stuff is rather fragile though.

We also have these brands.

HSP Racing Chinese company that makes budget low end rtrs they are the OEM of most of the Redcat and Exceed 1/10 entry level rcs. Also they are the OEM for the 1/5th scale Redcat and Exceed cars.

FS Racing is another Chinese company that makes budget rcs in all scales, they are the OEM for companies like Reely and FTX, although both Reely and FTX do make some of their own vehicles. FS Racing was the OEM for the Force Rc Outbreak and Muckracker.

Acme they were the OEM for a lot of the Hobbyking cars like the Basher Saber tooth, the Nitro Circus Basher Mt and the Turnigy Nitro 1/16.

Last edited:
team Corally: ...If they grow enough, they can become a good competitor, wich would drive ARRMA and other competitors to improve even more
If they grow enough Horizon will show them the money and they’ll join Arrma under that umbrella. If you think altruism will win out over the dollar, well, no.
FAC4BAAF-F0C0-4CF7-9256-1748D2111CB4.gif

Hobao also has a crawler and those on raod semi race trucks. Most of their vehicles are available as rtr or a 80% roller, you have to paint the body, glue the tires and provide your own electronics.
Hobao is the old Ofna.

Hobao is the old Ofna.
Technically Ofna was the US distributor for Hobao and Hong Nor. Hobao now does their own distribution and Hong Nor went the way of the Dodo.

I think at the end of the day, very few if any of these hobby RC companies own the means of production. So likely regardless of where the vehicles are engineered, they are all built in a factory in China somewhere.

This has been a very entertaining topic!

I think at the end of the day, very few if any of these hobby RC companies own the means of production. So likely regardless of where the vehicles are engineered, they are all built in a factory in China somewhere.

This has been a very entertaining topic!
Most yes but some are made in Japan or Taiwan and iirc Xray is made somewhere in Europe.
Then we also have to consider the quality of the parts brands like HSP, FS Racing, ZD Racing do not have the same quality or qc as brands like Losi, Team Associated or Tamiya.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back