Typhon What are some reasonable numbers for doing speed runs on dirt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Today I looked around at a dirt parking lot where I bash and realized another side lot that I don't usually drive back to has a crazy long, straight, somewhat smooth dirt/gravel stretch that looks perfect for off road speed runs. Don't have a gps but thinking about getting one just to be able to do an occasional speed run. Would be fun to see what my rig can do.

What kind of speeds could I expect with a Typhon? Its a basher with m2c chassis and multiple aluminum upgrades, so its a little heavy and I'm not planning to build it specific for speed but curious what would be possible as is. Currently running a new Max6 with a Hobbystar 1600kv 4082 motor with 25/46 gearing. Was thinking anything over 60 off road is probably pretty respectable especially without building specifically for it.

Should have pinions 26t-30t delivered tomorrow so I'll be able to gear up a fair amount more. The Powerhobby belted buggy tires are actually more like a SCT tire on a buggy wheel, 4.48in outer diameter, almost a quarter inch shorter than the current buggy tires I'm running so I know that will change what gearing I can run a little.

Any input from off road speedsters would be great!:cool:

Screenshot_20220923-203619.png

eBay has the best price on the gsm020. Everyone else usually wants around $80. Bet they'd take $60 shipped. Happy hunting.

Today I looked around at a dirt parking lot where I bash and realized another side lot that I don't usually drive back to has a crazy long, straight, somewhat smooth dirt/gravel stretch that looks perfect for off road speed runs. Don't have a gps but thinking about getting one just to be able to do an occasional speed run. Would be fun to see what my rig can do.

What kind of speeds could I expect with a Typhon? Its a basher with m2c chassis and multiple aluminum upgrades, so its a little heavy and I'm not planning to build it specific for speed but curious what would be possible as is. Currently running a new Max6 with a Hobbystar 1600kv 4082 motor with 25/46 gearing. Was thinking anything over 60 off road is probably pretty respectable especially without building specifically for it.

Should have pinions 26t-30t delivered tomorrow so I'll be able to gear up a fair amount more. The Powerhobby belted buggy tires are actually more like a SCT tire on a buggy wheel, 4.48in outer diameter, almost a quarter inch shorter than the current buggy tires I'm running so I know that will change what gearing I can run a little.

Any input from off road speedsters would be great!:cool:
All I know is that YT'er Earl Moorehead has recently been trying for 100mph with his modded 8s Mojave, and having trouble with tires and terrain. Seems those supposed Belted MethodRC Mojo tires suck for traction, are too soft and got stretched out beyond use quickly, and way worse than the Stocker wheels. He is peaking out on dirt or grass at 73 mph last I heard, any faster and he is always flipping and crashing. He can't make a clean pass over 73 mph. No matter what he does. Yet his rig is geared for over 100mph. With an XLX2. His CC data logs show that the power and speed is there. Just no traction. Won't hook up on grass or dirt.:rolleyes:
I give him credit for trying everything possible.

Last edited:
All I know is that YT'er Earl Moorehead has recently been trying for 100mph with his modded 8s Mojave, and having trouble with tires and terrain. Seems those supposed Belted MethodRC Mojo tires suck for traction, are too soft and got stretched out beyond use quickly, and way worse than the Stocker wheels. He is peaking out on dirt or grass at 73 mph last I heard, any faster and he is always flipping and crashing. He can't make a clean pass over 73 mph. No matter what he does. Yet his rig is geared for over 100mph. With an XLX2. His CC data logs show that the power and speed is there. Just no traction. Won't hook up on grass or dirt.:rolleyes:
I give him credit for trying everything possible.
Tires exploding seem to be the big issue when getting anywhere near the 100mph mark off road. Zagert got into the 90s with his Losi DBXL-E as did KT with his snowboard sausage build. 100mph off-road really seems to be a serious milestone when it comes to speed running.

Last edited:
Did 85 w/ the Kraton do all that center diff damage??!!
Idk I’m partialy death so I couldn’t hear it if it was grinding just found it after a full speed jump breakage repair

Idk I’m partialy death so I couldn’t hear it if it was grinding just found it after a full speed jump breakage repair
Just partially?? I'm more of a majority 🤨😬🤕😕
Edit- did you mean "death" or "deaf"??😆🤣😆

Just partially?? I'm more of a majority 🤨😬🤕😕
Oh sorry to hear that I’m just partially (it’s not that bad The voices in my head keep telling me) mainly from band stuff hopefully it’s not permanent

Oh sorry to hear that I’m just partially (it’s not that bad The voices in my head keep telling me) mainly from band stuff hopefully it’s not permanent
I'm surprised my hearing still works as well as it does. I played in heavy metal bands all through high school, I went to tons of metal concerts, I used to do what I called "speaker freaking" where I would dance with my face 3 feet from the speakers and sitting with my back leaned up against the subwoofers in techno clubs for years, I've been producing electronic music for over 25 year and I used to listen to my stuff at stupid volume levels on headphones for 24-48 hours straight (I actually got to a point where I would use a scarf tied around my head to press my headphones even closer to my ears...yes...I'm that retarded...). I'm 48 years old now and my hearing is still good up to >18.5kHz. I have no idea how my ears survived.

No, I was just joking 😉 you said "partially death" & I thought I'd crack a joke. But, not so seriously, I have what some would call selective hearing. I tend to just ignore most white noise 🤷‍♂️🤣

No, I was just joking 😉 you said "partially death" & I thought I'd crack a joke. But, not so seriously, I have what some would call selective hearing. I tend to just ignore most white noise 🤷‍♂️🤣
1664004265401.png

Sorry...I suffer from typing Tourette's and selective reading.

Tires exploding seem to be the big issue when getting anywhere near the 100mph mark off road. Zagert got into the 90s with his Losi DBXL-E as did KT with his snowboard sausage build. 100mph off-road really seems to be a serious milestone when it comes to speed running.
I think you need some really good groomed long distance terrain ( golf course) and a 1/5 large scale rig to get there. Smaller lighter chassis's with small wheels no good.
The 1/5 Kraton has done 100 on pavement with Foams. (XLX2) Think Innovation RC.
I feel on dirt or grass that it would even be a stretch.
The most I can get with my kraton is around 85 mph but what really helps is the Arrma fireteam tires they don’t balloon much
I heard there aren't even any foams in those FT wheels. :rolleyes: Is that true?
I always wanted to try them out. Are they durable as wheels go?
I'll see if Jennys has any available.

Last edited:
I think you need some really good groomed long distance terrain ( golf course) and a 1/5 large scale rig to get there. Smaller lighter chassis's with small wheels no good.
The 1/5 Kraton has done 100 on pavement with Foams. (XLX2) Think Innovation RC.
I feel on dirt or grass that it would even be a stretch.

I heard there aren't even any foams in those FT wheels. :rolleyes:
I always wanted to try them out. Are they durable as wheels go?
The ultra long wheelbase on KT's snowboard sausage build helps a lot to smooth out bumps and moguls on off-road terrain. Normal wheelbase vehicles tend to get upended pretty easily at speed if they hit a few ill-timed bumps. Zagert was running on a perfectly manicured football field (might have been astroturf? can't recall exactly off the top of my head...to my mind that would make it a non off-road run; I think to count as off-road it needs to be actual natural terrain).

I think the fastest X-MAXX I've seen on pavement was right around 120mph (+/- 1-2mph) on GoneBananas foams.

I have no idea, sorry. I couldn't tell ya.

What counts as "dirt"?
There is packed dirt harder than asphalt...would that count?
The offroad speed running thing is very intriguing but leaves for a huge grey area of what would count. imo
That's one of the things that makes it so difficult. My personal take is that a natural grassy area should be the metric. Nothing manicured, something with bumps and divots. I know it's impossible to make something homogenous but even the roads speed runners run on are all different and we don't get too in the weeds about it.

That's one of the things that makes it so difficult. My personal take is that a natural grassy area should be the metric. Nothing manicured, something with bumps and divots. I know it's impossible to make something homogenous but even the roads speed runners run on are all different and we don't get too in the weeds about it.
Yep like a park. Too bad most parks with open fields don't allow RC's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back