Typhon What are some reasonable numbers for doing speed runs on dirt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had big dreams of going 100+ on ice, never quite got around to it tho. It’s a very small window when the the lakes freeze with no snow, if that even happens.. sometimes it snows just enough to make it a slushy/bumpy mess. Other times we can ice skate on sheets of clear glass.
Just talking about it makes me want to get a rig ready! My limited window is coming soon if I want to try. 🤔
As long as you don't sink it again 🤣 I can see it now the U.S.S Hammertanic

Def need 500k at a minimum and even higher for straight speed running on off road where the front end gets very loose. Diffing out etc. Will tax the center diff every time approachingthose high speeds.:cool:
It does tax the center diff but I found higher center diff creates an uncontrollably car at speeds. Just wants to wheelie

Not sure if I would enjoy 500k+ in the center diff for general bashing. Thought of getting a spare center diff so I can run 500k-1m when I want with a quick diff swap, anybody else swap diffs instead of changing fluid weights? Seems more convenient for going back and forth on diff weights.
I swap diffs, but found that 500k gets me the best overall durabilty. Diffs and tires last longest. Along wth 60k F and 30k Rear. I played around with 200k, 300k. 500k seems about right. I run 6s lipos FWIW. I also have a spool to swap on occasion. But for off road, No.
I keep a spare diff or 2 at times, just for quick swaps when the diffs wear out.
It does tax the center diff but I found higher center diff creates an uncontrollably car at speeds. Just wants to wheelie
It's all in your throttle finger. And if wheelies pose that much of an issue, Lower the ESC punch if you haven't already. Need to dial in your ESC's. Often overlooked. But overall for bashing, The Arrma 6s "OPEN" diffs need thick oil at the center if anything. Too thin and you get diff power bleeding off from the rear and this over spins the front wheels. Every time. More damage and wear resuts. Even Blown out tires etc. Less efficient when running. You can always run a 4s lipo. I do on occasion. Runs great and more controllable. May even want to increase pinion size if you do, to get it dialed in nice.
My thoughts.

Last edited:
Today I looked around at a dirt parking lot where I bash and realized another side lot that I don't usually drive back to has a crazy long, straight, somewhat smooth dirt/gravel stretch that looks perfect for off road speed runs. Don't have a gps but thinking about getting one just to be able to do an occasional speed run. Would be fun to see what my rig can do.

What kind of speeds could I expect with a Typhon? Its a basher with m2c chassis and multiple aluminum upgrades, so its a little heavy and I'm not planning to build it specific for speed but curious what would be possible as is. Currently running a new Max6 with a Hobbystar 1600kv 4082 motor with 25/46 gearing. Was thinking anything over 60 off road is probably pretty respectable especially without building specifically for it.

Should have pinions 26t-30t delivered tomorrow so I'll be able to gear up a fair amount more. The Powerhobby belted buggy tires are actually more like a SCT tire on a buggy wheel, 4.48in outer diameter, almost a quarter inch shorter than the current buggy tires I'm running so I know that will change what gearing I can run a little.

Any input from off road speedsters would be great!:cool:
Out the box as a RTR with the speed gear installed, it will do around 60mph give or take.. Most definitley on pavement.
I'm doing 58mph with my TLRT on 4s. (22pin/50spur)

View attachment 245479

eBay has the best price on the gsm020. Everyone else usually wants around $80. Bet they'd take $60 shipped. Happy hunting.
A good price. I've seen them upwards of $100. even. $80. is about average going price. Funny how the prices for this are all over the place. This Analyzer is not worth $30. The markup must be very high. Too high IMHO. But its the only game in town unfortunately. App can be tempermental and the internal lipo sucks. Extremely delicate considering what their intended purpose is for. Hard RC use. Always Crapping out. Never holds a charge long enough after it is charged. I need to charge it and use it immediatley, Goes dead just from sitting and powered OFF. After an hour it is down to 59% capacity. All of them I've had. I always make sure it is powered OFF. Doesn't matter.
My rant. Have wrecked many of these 020's and the 015's while speed running. But I keep replacing them. Seems to be a necessary RC evil. :rolleyes:
But a flawed product. Poor QC. Made for a quick money grab. And repeat sales.

Edit.
The last one I got from AMZ at $80. I got the extended warr. replacement/ refund if broken. I am waiting for this one to break, which is technically shot anyway. I expect a AMZ refund, before I purchase my next one. They don't ask for the old one back. It is garbage anyway. Not serviceable. These are rather expensive throwaways.

Last edited:
I run at night for this reason also. Not that I want to here in NYC these days.

I had big dreams of going 100+ on ice, never quite got around to it tho. It’s a very small window when the the lakes freeze with no snow, if that even happens.. sometimes it snows just enough to make it a slushy/bumpy mess. Other times we can ice skate on sheets of clear glass.
Just talking about it makes me want to get a rig ready! My limited window is coming soon if I want to try. 🤔
I'd love to see more people doing this. Zagert took his sawblade Limitless to 89mph on a frozen lake last winter. Looked like an absolute blast (punctuated by moments of sheer terror as a car with saw blades for wheels bears down on you at 80mph+). :LOL:
He's going airborne half the time with the throttle pinned -- and then wonders why his tires keep spinning up and blowing apart. I think he's totally missing the bigger issue...

He destroyed those aluminum wheels, that should be case and point he has no idea what he's doing :LOL:
I don't think that anyone who is even an enthusiast entertains any notion that Kevin knows what he's doing. But he's entertaining (to some or a lot of people depending on who you ask) and he has fun doing what he's doing. I enjoy his enthusiasm and his willingness to spend his money building, destroying, rebuilding and improving things that I never would. I enjoy watching him, but I don't take him too seriously (which, incidentally, I don't think he does either which makes him all the more likeable).

I mean, he does and he doesn't. He's kind of like someone who knows a little bit of magic. Enough to do damage, but not enough to change the world :LOL:

Last edited:
I'd love to see more people doing this. Zagert took his sawblade Limitless to 89mph on a frozen lake last winter. Looked like an absolute blast (punctuated by moments of sheer terror as a car with saw blades for wheels bears down on you at 80mph+). :LOL:

I don't think that anyone who is even an enthusiast entertains any notion that Kevin knows what he's doing. But he's entertaining (to some or a lot of people depending on who you ask) and he has fun doing what he's doing. I enjoy his enthusiasm and his willingness to spend his money building, destroying, rebuilding and improving things that I never would. I enjoy watching him, but I don't take him too seriously (which, incidentally, I don't think he does either which makes him all the more likeable).

I mean, he does and he doesn't. He's kind of like someone who knows a little bit of magic. Enough to do damage, but not enough to change the world :LOL:
This beast would be pretty f'n scary coming at you too!:eek:
full

@Hammer Down

only pain:ROFLMAO:
This...this is why I love coming here so much. It's the perfect mix of technical autism and digression.

That whole cave scene was so freakin' funny.

"Lot on your knife. I mean...not...on your life."

"Now you ready...to take on anybody! Excuse me...I must get up now..."
(falls over drunk)

This...this is why I love coming here so much. It's the perfect mix of technical autism and digression.

That whole cave scene was so freakin' funny.

"Lot on your knife. I mean...not...on your life."

"Now you ready...to take on anybody! Excuse me...I must get up now..."
(falls over drunk)
Great minds think alike. (so how is it that I fit in?):ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back