Typhon What are some reasonable numbers for doing speed runs on dirt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not trying to do anything official, just curious, so I get to make all the rules. šŸ¤£ I consider anything that isn't a paved surface to be fair game. If my tires are throwing dirt, rocks, and/or grass, it counts as off road to me.
That sounds good to me!
I'm not a speed runner by any means but like to see how fast my rigs are
and all of them are off road rigs.

My rough guess is that on 25/46 gearing & 4082 1600kv motor I'm getting to 40mph on hard pack dirt on 4s, just a guess, not an opinion based on experience. Using the Radiocontrolinfo online speed calculator, I should be getting around 50mph on road with that set up. I'm guessing -10mph for the reduced traction. Maybe it loses more or less than that, I'd like to see. I'm sure fine dusty dirt on rock hard packed dirt will cause a different amount of reduced traction than grass for example, but grass could create more rolling resistance, tire selections become pretty important.

I've spent way too much on unnecessary rc upgrades lately so I'm laying off for a couple of weeks (I hope šŸ¤£). I'm putting a gps speed tracker in the top 3 on my list of things for my typhon. Looking forward to getting some real numbers on where and what setup I can run fastest off road. Not doing a speed build, just want to find out how fast I'm running when its geared up with everything else setup the way I like it for off road bashing.

The ultra long wheelbase on KT's snowboard sausage build helps a lot to smooth out bumps and moguls on off-road terrain. Normal wheelbase vehicles tend to get upended pretty easily at speed if they hit a few ill-timed bumps. Zagert was running on a perfectly manicured football field (might have been astroturf? can't recall exactly off the top of my head...to my mind that would make it a non off-road run; I think to count as off-road it needs to be actual natural terrain).

I think the fastest X-MAXX I've seen on pavement was right around 120mph (+/- 1-2mph) on GoneBananas foams.

I have no idea, sorry. I couldn't tell ya.
Yeah i've been watching KT's off-road speed running build with some interest, more for just sheer comedic entertainment. He has the funds and time that he could easily accomplish it, IMO. But he's much like Jeremy Clarkson from TG, "SPEEEEED, POOOWEEEERR!" and applies less thought that most serious speed runners. Then again, it is an entertainment channel :LOL: In his latest, he kept blowing tires and thinking it was the diffs diffing out and causing the tires to spin super fast. But failed to realized that (it's clear in his videos) the car spends a large portion of it's time bouncing through the air when his throttle is probably still pinned or close to it (and he doesn't have a center diff). Plenty of time to spin front or rear up.

I know OP isn't talking about speed running, but I think the topic is rather fascinating.

I'd say you'll run into 3 big hurdles as you go for off-road (grass) speed runs.
1) temps and heat: With anything but a super powerful setup, you'll be needing working on heat management.
2) power: you can partially solve #1 by going crazy big power. But ramming that into your truck may be an issue. Finding the right balance between weight (more batteries, large ESC and motor) and power will be key.
3) Tires: your final and ultimate hurdle will be finding an off road tire that can get you up to those speeds without exploding.

Dirt off-road speed runs likely won't need as much power (scaled back slightly), but i suspect handling and stability/control will become a much bigger issue.

Not the same as an Arrma but I did a speed run on grass with an Axial SMT10.
Again not the same as an Arrma but handling was a huge factor.
Hit 40mph with moderate gearing. I know with a gear change I could do better but IF I decide to run it again
it wont be for awhile. (too much on my plate)

So it sounds like 60ish might be a reasonable goal for a beginner doing off road speed runs? I know I'll probably need to gear up to 32-34t with the shorter Powerhobby tires.

Im on that quest. Grass Speed Running.
Man it's tough on the cars!
Get to know your "field" because little ruts and bumps you pay no attention to can send the car flying into cartwheels at 50+ savagely so!
And Grass or Dirt fields are full of ruts and bumps.
I find heavy springs and very heavy oil is necessary.

I just had my 3S Typhon out with Mojave Tires for the first time.
Damn dear killed the car with excessive HEAT. Damn!!
Big tires make this car run very hot geared the way I have it. 20t
Hit 67 over grass. Same on Pavement with these tires.
With smaller Duratrax CT it'll do 85 on pavement. The bigger tires slow it down on pavement and overheat it.
Also, it ATE 1 1/2 3S 8000mAh Lipo's in like 15 min. Thats crazy bad. Wires hot, Motor so hot you could hardly touch it and ESC shut down from the heat, took a while to cool too. Close to burning that one out this time. But thats what they're for ;)

IMG_3736.jpeg

IMG_3651.jpg

Last edited:
Getting Cold up here in the North East US. :rolleyes:

Had to wait till the School "Open House" let out LOL

Stretched Kraton Buggy just did 71+ on slippery cut grass, gets wet once the sun goes below the mountains.
Ive been getting mid+ 70's when it dry.

18t pinion with Kraton gearing and Backflip tires. 20t gets a bit faster. I have larger, just gets VERY HOT.
But Im finding its less about pinion than you think. Gotta get the car planted and keep the nose down so the energy can be utilized. More speed.
Im liking these tires for the grass runs.

But you can do this all day long. 85-100 is just crazy hard to achieve on grass and 6S. Less weight can help, I guess, but theres nothing much left to loose. The Kraton body and brackets are worth loosing. That Typhon shell is very light. Lighter battery but this one rocks and gives long run times.
TP Motor. Thats whats next and a better ESC. (y)

Cant wait to see how the OP does.

I'll say im NOT building a 12S Kevin Sausage, thats for sure! But I love watching him try. He hit 98 with that ugly red Frankenstein.

IMG_3742.jpeg

IMG_3737.jpeg

Last edited:
Getting Cold up here in the North East US. :rolleyes:

Had to wait till the School "Open House" let out LOL

Stretched Kraton Buggy just did 71+ on slippery cut grass, gets wet once the sun goes below the mountains.
Ive been getting mid+ 70's when it dry.

18t pinion with Kraton gearing and Backflip tires. 20t gets a bit faster. I have larger, just gets VERY HOT.
But Im finding its less about pinion than you think. Gotta get the car planted and keep the nose down so the energy can be utilized. More speed.
Im liking these tires for the grass runs.

But you can do this all day long. 85-100 is just crazy hard to achieve on grass and 6S. Less weight can help, I guess, but theres nothing much left to loose. The Kraton body and brackets are worth loosing. That Typhon shell is very light. Lighter battery but this one rocks and gives long run times.
TP Motor. Thats whats next and a better ESC. (y)

Cant wait to see how the OP does.
I've been wondering how good a Typhon will stay planted in grass with buggy tires. Do you think something like Mojave tires would be better for speed on grass?

Get to know your "field" because little ruts and bumps you pay no attention to can send the car flying into cartwheels at 50+ savagely so!
Lol, yeah those little bumps are bad news! Did a run on 6s with 25/46 today and a small bump at full throttle sent me on a cartwheel that seemed to last 10 seconds! šŸ¤£ Upgrades must be helping because at least this time everything held up fine. I put the Tekno orange springs on a couple of weeks ago and it made it handle 10x better at faster speeds off road. Are those stiff enough or would even stiffer be better?

I've been looking at the dirt parking lot I want to run and noticing there are very limited stretches that don't have some bumps that look like they could be a problem. Will take some effort finding the best stretches to try.

I've been wondering how good a Typhon will stay planted in grass with buggy tires. Do you think something like Mojave tires would be better for speed on grass?

Lol, yeah those little bumps are bad news! Did a run on 6s with 25/46 today and a small bump at full throttle sent me on a cartwheel that seemed to last 10 seconds! šŸ¤£ Upgrades must be helping because at least this time everything held up fine. I put the Tekno orange springs on a couple of weeks ago and it made it handle 10x better at faster speeds off road. Are those stiff enough or would even stiffer be better?

I've been looking at the dirt parking lot I want to run and noticing there are very limited stretches that don't have some bumps that look like they could be a problem. Will take some effort finding the best stretches to try.

I picked up the Mojave tires due to many here liking them. They are definitely my new 6S buggy tire! They don't balloon much or do the pizza cutter thing. Nice Diameter, not too wide. The stretched Typhon loves them. Perfect match for that one.

For grass, im learning and breaking things less! Heat is an issue, tall pinions cog and the Spektrum electronics are likely not helping. But once its going it Screams! The Longer chassis's were the single best thing I did. As Im seeing it, the width is then just a ratio of the length that depends on the behavior you want. But longer helped keep the car planted and allowed for full throttle runs in shorter distances. Less punch and timing in the ESC helped too.

Longer, stiffer springs on the shocks with heavy weight oil made them stiff and not bouncy, absorbed the bumps without bouncing up. That helped allot. Bouncy was not good. Too soft and it lifted too easily and dragged and bounced off the earth too much and too hard. Also not good. Thats how I bent one of the BLX chassis and cartwheels. Hahaha.

For me, at first I was reading and trying track setups. But thats not what im doing and it was brutal for the cars. Bashing that is. I just kept trying different things and seeing how it reacted and tuned around my environment (that Damn Manhole cover!) Now both the 6S Buggies sail over them, catching just a bit of air sometimes. The 3S takes offs Into the air, dangerously. I crindge every time I get close to it. The bigger 6S buggy doesn't even notice it.

A Stock 6S Typhon BLX is more like a 3S Typhon. Different than what I built. Better for a RC Track Im sure but not for what im doing which is just being an idiot and having fun.

Im on that quest. Grass Speed Running.
Man it's tough on the cars!

I'll probably get chewed for saying this, but try a pass without the antisway bars.
When my Kraton was still a Kraton grass was pretty much all I ran on. Stayed super flat even hitting ruts at speed.
Never measured her speed with this setup but she boogied!
Mojave tires have killer traction on grass.
again1.jpg

Last edited:
Gras - 45-50mph is a very good speed.
Above 60mph, you will sporadically blow out tires unless you lock your diffs. 50k doesn't cut it.
You will also need to perform additional work on your tires going above 65'ish, otherwise they will quickly blow up.

I had big dreams of going 100+ on ice, never quite got around to it tho. Itā€™s a very small window when the the lakes freeze with no snow, if that even happens.. sometimes it snows just enough to make it a slushy/bumpy mess. Other times we can ice skate on sheets of clear glass.
Just talking about it makes me want to get a rig ready! My limited window is coming soon if I want to try. šŸ¤”

I had big dreams of going 100+ on ice, never quite got around to it tho. Itā€™s a very small window when the the lakes freeze with no snow, if that even happens.. sometimes it snows just enough to make it a slushy/bumpy mess. Other times we can ice skate on sheets of clear glass.
Just talking about it makes me want to get a rig ready! My limited window is coming soon if I want to try. šŸ¤”
That would be sick!

True, but he did have extremely loose diffs. It appeared to get better after he "locked" them up with silicone ear plugs.
He's going airborne half the time with the throttle pinned -- and then wonders why his tires keep spinning up and blowing apart. I think he's totally missing the bigger issue...

He destroyed those aluminum wheels, that should be case and point he has no idea what he's doing :LOL:

Idk Iā€™m partialy death so I couldnā€™t hear it if it was grinding just found it after a full speed jump breakage repair
Def need 500k at a minimum and even higher for straight speed running on off road where the front end gets very loose. Diffing out etc. Will tax the center diff every time approaching those high speeds.:cool:

Last edited:
Not sure if I would enjoy 500k+ in the center diff for general bashing. Thought of getting a spare center diff so I can run 500k-1m when I want with a quick diff swap, anybody else swap diffs instead of changing fluid weights? Seems more convenient for going back and forth on diff weights.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back