Granite What are the best replacement shocks for the Granite 3s BLX?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeachMeCars

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Talion
I saw the thread for the HSP shocks, but they don't appear to be a direct replacement. What shocks can I get that are ready to go? I don't really care if the price is higher than the HSP ones if the quality is there.

Did the typhon 6s shocks work? I thought I saw someone use those before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-BORE-A...e6d:g:lMkAAOSwHMJYLnYG:rk:2??1&frcectupt=true

I have this version for my Senton but using the factory springs its the best setup I could find. HSPs were too long in my book, gave way too high ride height and too long of distance on the springs. Maybe give these a try.
I have shocks from these guys on my Stampede 4x4, other than the springs being a little on the stiff side and the rod ends being a tad weak they work really well.

I am using shocks from my v1 typhon on my Granite 4x4. They work very well. I did need to reuse the rod-end balls from my Granite shocks for the upper end.

The kit breakers are staying pretty sold out of the typhon shocks, though. The Senton6s and Talion shocks are both about the same size, and could fit. However, the Senton shocks don't come with boots ( if you care) and the Talion shocks have very stiff springs.

Also, all these shocks are slightly different length. I had it all written down, but best I remember, they were all close enough to work. (+- 5mm).

I am using shocks from my v1 typhon on my Granite 4x4. They work very well. I did need to reuse the rod-end balls from my Granite shocks for the upper end.

The kit breakers are staying pretty sold out of the typhon shocks, though. The Senton6s and Talion shocks are both about the same size, and could fit. However, the Senton shocks don't come with boots ( if you care) and the Talion shocks have very stiff springs.

Also, all these shocks are slightly different length. I had it all written down, but best I remember, they were all close enough to work. (+- 5mm).

I see the typhon shocks are both 5mm longer. Would this just make the ride height 5mm taller overall?

Depends on the springs. With the v1 springs, and the collars all the way up, my arms were parallel to the ground. I added about 10mm of preload to add a bit of ride height, but still have some droop.

Depends on the springs. With the v1 springs, and the collars all the way up, my arms were parallel to the ground. I added about 10mm of preload to add a bit of ride height, but still have some droop.

Hmm, I'm fairly new to all this so I don't understand what preload and droop mean. I'd like to get shocks that are as compatible as possible. I'm willing to get different springs if needed too. Should I get typhon/talion/kraton v3 shocks and change the springs/oil?

Preload is moving the top of the spring down, with either the plastic clips on the stock shocks, or the threaded collar on the 6s shocks. This "preloads" the spring, and generally makes the ride height taller.

Droop- if your car is sitting, and you pick it up, does the suspension extend a bit before the tires come off the ground? This is droop- i.e. How far down can your tire move (droop) if you drive over a hole. Droop is good, without it any small depression will make your tires come off the ground.

Re:Kraton shocks- the fronts are the same length as the Typhon rear, but I think they have stiffer springs. Kraton rears are too long for the 4x4 cars.

Typhon shocks are plug and play. Senton 6s shocks probabaly are pretty close too, also. Others will need tuning.

The only bolt on option is the ebay shocks @esowins posted above. Everything else is going to require some creativity.

The only bolt on option is the ebay shocks @esowins posted above. Everything else is going to require some creativity.

Thank you for the help everyone! I've decided to go with the eBay shocks after all.

What do you guys think would be good shock oil weights? Stock or a bit heavier? I generally take this rig to the skatepark for some air time.

I am new to this so it is possible I am doing something wrong, but these shocks are not bolt on. There is extreme slop in the post where the top part of the shock screws in. Does anyone know how to rectify this?

There is also no rubber pad in the top of the shock like there has been in my traxxas shocks. Do I need them?

Any help is appreciated because I am supposed to take my car out with a buddy later today.

Try a piece of fuel tubing when you start the screw in the shock tower, then stick the shock in there and push the screw through the shock cap and screw it in as usual. I am working on getting mine to fit tonight. Another issue you are going to have is the bottom of the shock rubbing the drive shafts. For this I am going to try spacers/washers.

Try a piece of fuel tubing when you start the screw in the shock tower, then stick the shock in there and push the screw through the shock cap and screw it in as usual. I am working on getting mine to fit tonight. Another issue you are going to have is the bottom of the shock rubbing the drive shafts. For this I am going to try spacers/washers.

I fixed the spacing issue for the most part with some #6 washers because I didn't have any tubing around. The shocks are a bit away from the drive shafts so I am not worried about them touching.

My most recent issue is that one of the rear shocks is much harder to compress than the other, and it rebound much slower as well. If anyone has some advice I would love to hear it!

I fixed the spacing issue for the most part with some #6 washers because I didn't have any tubing around. The shocks are a bit away from the drive shafts so I am not worried about them touching.

My most recent issue is that one of the rear shocks is much harder to compress than the other, and it rebound much slower as well. If anyone has some advice I would love to hear it!
You have to fill and bleed them properly.
Skip to step 6 http://vintagerccars.com/how-to-rebuild-team-associated-team-shocks-2/

Thank you for the info, but it's not that. There is a manufacturing issue with these shocks. I took it into the LHS and they confirmed that the shock has something wrong internally.
Well that blows.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back