Granite What are the best replacement shocks for the Granite 3s BLX?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Traxxas servo saver splines on the Arrma metal shock caps to keep them in place. Two per shock cap. I then used spacers from Traxxas 1937 to keep the shocks away from the drive shafts at the bottoms. This may not be perfect buts it’s a start. Shocks are snug now.

I used Traxxas servo saver splines on the Arrma metal shock caps to keep them in place. Two per shock cap. I then used spacers from Traxxas 1937 to keep the shocks away from the drive shafts at the bottoms. This may not be perfect buts it’s a start. Shocks are snug now.

Thats a really good idea!

Can I see a picture of this?

Yes, I will get a few pictures tonight and post them.

This Granite 3S has Typhon 6s Shocks front and rear from Jennys RC, aprx $65 shipped. Arrma metal shocks caps, $22 for two pair, Traxxas servo saver plastic splines TRA3744 in the shock caps to keep them tight. You will need 8 of them, 2 per cap. Cost for these is $12 for 3 servo savers. The servo savers each come with 3 splines. To keep the front shocks from rubbing the drive shafts, I used to 4mm spacers that come with Traxxas 1937, this part is $2. I used 20mm screws in the front lower shocks to make up for the 4mm spacers. The stock screws are 16mm. I used 32.5 weight oil in the shocks. The shocks are almost perfect and I have had no issues with them since installing them a few months ago. Also installed are the Hot Racing steering bellcrank, Hot Racing pillow ball set and Tbone Racing wheelie bar for the Typhon 3S.

Attachments

• Granite Five.jpg
    Granite Five.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Granite Four.jpg
    Granite Four.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Granite One.jpg
    Granite One.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 147
  • Granite Six.jpg
    Granite Six.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 139
  • Granite Three.jpg
    Granite Three.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 136
  • Granite Two.jpg
    Granite Two.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 128
Well that blows.
I had similar issues with these on my Typhon even after bleeding. The rebound on them was very slow. I drilled a 2 small holes in the valve (small disc inside the shock) since I didnt have any laying around that fit. It made the shocks perform great. I'm guessing the spare valves that come with almost any Traxxas vehicle will work.

Update: I got my hands on some typhon 6s shocks. They are very close to a perfect bolt on and perfect setup without making any changes. I've added a couple small washers to the front shocks in both attachment points, and a couple washers to the top attachment point in the rear. So far they have held up really well to the abuse of a skatepark.

I agree with Typhon 6s shocks, but if you can't find those you got get a mix of Senton 6s shocks and Talion 6s shocks. I first bought the 81002/3N shocks, went through the trouble of shortening up as needed, but overall they didn't seem to perform as well as the stock shocks did (my stocks were leaking with prompted the upgrade). They were a good buy for $18 though, and the good thing about those shocks is that they fit 6s springs. They worked ok, but then I bought v3 Talion shocks and they are so much better. The size is very close to the Typhon 6s size so I didn't need to try to do anything to lengthen or shorten the shocks. The only issue was the oil and springs. The springs are very stiff for the talion, so I bought the Typhon springs to swap out the Talion springs and put in lighter shock oil. Now it works perfectly. I can drop it from about 5 feet without bottoming out and it's still plush. If I want it stiffer I can always put the Talion springs back on. Wish I hadn't wasted time with the 81002/3N shocks

I fixed the spacing issue for the most part with some #6 washers because I didn't have any tubing around. The shocks are a bit away from the drive shafts so I am not worried about them touching.

My most recent issue is that one of the rear shocks is much harder to compress than the other, and it rebound much slower as well. If anyone has some advice I would love to hear it!
Did you have much success with drilling additional holes into they pistons? I've got 4 holes in my rears and they're still difficult to compress from a 1" drop.

Did you have much success with drilling additional holes into they pistons? I've got 4 holes in my rears and they're still difficult to compress from a 1" drop.
My fix was getting new shocks. The eBay shocks are fine if you use the stock springs. Typhon 6s shocks are the perfect replacement though.

My fix was getting new shocks. The eBay shocks are fine if you use the stock springs. Typhon 6s shocks are the perfect replacement though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QZXJR2P/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A1YLD6DK9B7ZV6&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QXT83JV/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A1YLD6DK9B7ZV6&psc=1

I'm thinking about trying these out. I want bleeder tops and these use all the factory components but give you an aluminum body with threads and a bleeder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QZXJR2P/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A1YLD6DK9B7ZV6&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QXT83JV/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A1YLD6DK9B7ZV6&psc=1

I'm thinking about trying these out. I want bleeder tops and these use all the factory components but give you an aluminum body with threads and a bleeder.
Well I purchased these, i'm going to install them next week when they arrive and report back with photos for those interested.

i have V2 senton 6s shocks ill be installing on my BRCC this weekend. They appear to be the same length as the stock. Ill have to do some tweaking to take the slop out of the top mount, forward, back and up and down. The bottom fits fine, you just want to move the top of the shock all the way forward to keep the shock from hitting the driveshafts

I saw the thread for the HSP shocks, but they don't appear to be a direct replacement. What shocks can I get that are ready to go? I don't really care if the price is higher than the HSP ones if the quality is there.

Did the typhon 6s shocks work? I thought I saw someone use those before.
Zd racing
Zd racing

Attachments

• 16363129228459078577959617534393.jpg
    16363129228459078577959617534393.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 40
Hmm, I'm fairly new to all this so I don't understand what preload and droop mean. I'd like to get shocks that are as compatible as possible. I'm willing to get different springs if needed too. Should I get typhon/talion/kraton v3 shocks and change the springs/oil?
Zd racing

163632989574556765382437198805.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back