What are u guys filming your bash sessions with ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3x9rtse

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
  4. Senton 6s
  5. Talion
Watching the youtube videos of RC bashing , filmed from either on you looking at the car/truck or videos with them mounted right on them , the videos look great !!!! What is the common device used ? I have an older Gopro ( I think Hero 3) , but when mounted on my RC's , it is so bad ( shakey ) you can't even watch it . Looking to upgrade , thanks !!!

I think most use a GoPro Session. I have used my Hero6 with EIS enabled, but if you crash, you risk breaking a $300 camera. I no longer mount on my rigs because I did trash one.

I was using a Go Pro Hero4 but recently upgraded to a Hero7 black. The hyper smooth would be perfect for on board footage and just keeping the vid smooth overall! Great quality too if using protune! :cool: ?

Last edited:
Session for whatever and mount it wherever plus a 7 black for head mount. I made some stuff today with the session on a small tripod near the ramps and action. I'd put the session on the truck and maybe the 7 black if I was only on-road and didn't expect to roll it. Session cam I think can be picked up dirt cheap and I got a refurb three years ago for $75. I just picked up the new 7 black for $270 on ebay by watching auctions. I also want to use my phone over time. The more the merrier and there are many capable action cams out there. Greatest support from aftermarket software, tools, instructional vids will be for GoPro brand imo. Whatever you choose, just keep em all filming in the same parameters for seamless / easiest mesh at edit.

There is a new tool coming out. I hope to be using this to film.

1573527507497.png

I have a Hero 7 Silver. Have only used it for some Speedway style RC and it makes some very stable on car footage, but will get it mounted on my son's Outcast when he gets it.
If I was doing it again, I would look at a camera that has replaceable lens covers. The Hero 7 Black does but the Silver and White don't.

I have a hero5 black that I wear on a lanyard around my neck and a hero 5 session I use for onboard. It's too heavy though and tends to destroy anything it's mounted to when you land jumps. I only use it once in a while these days and I use it for PIP only as it makes me nauseous to watch/edit it.

I tried quite a few mounting scenarios, all but one failed to handle landing jumps. The only one that can take it is the little sled mount I made on a T2T brace on my stampede 4x4 to point it out the windshield. Unfortunately, the distance between the hood and the roof is only about 2/3's of the camera view, so the bottom 1/3 of the footage is just under the body.

The second most successful was a sled/L bracket on my outcast. But it put so much strain on teh body that it nearly broke in half at the door seams within the first bash session. Also, it fell off a lot anyway when landing jumps.

I went through 20 plastic mounts before I gave up on using those. They just shatter, and they add a ton of leverage so every impact just hammers the body to death.

Here's the mount on my stampede:
2019-0714-Stampede-BodyBraceLeft.jpg

I have velcro on the mount and the front lip locks/holds the camera into place. I also wrap it with a velcro battery strap.

Here's a PIP type video I did with it:

@1:26, the onboard is the primary camera for a bit. I have everything turned off on the camera, just set to 1920x1080@60fps. The camera is essentially even with the roof, so every time I land on the roof, I land on the camera. I have it in an aluminum cage though.

This is the outcast body with the mount on it:
2019-0504-Outcast-OriginalBodyBeatUp.jpg

That didn't work the best. It worked better after I screwed a little L brace on it for the camera to sit in, also with a bent up front lip to lock the camera in better. Ran a velcro strap around it to help keep it in place. The velcro on the truck did nothing but add a bit of cushion and grip to keep it from sliding. It still popped out of that quite a bit. If I end up trying to run a camera on the outcast again, I'll do like I did on the stampede and mount it to a T2T brace then point it out of the windshield.

This is some footage from that:

I like that view better, but it's harder on everything. Seeing the wheel/arm/shock articulation kind of puts you in the video a bit better. But having the body stationary in reference to the camera helps the perspective as well.

On the hero5 I wear, I have everything shut off on it as well, but I record in 1920x1080@120fps, which allows me to slow things down quite a bit and have it still be smooth.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back