What are you using for grease in your diffs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to be trying Permatex Ceramic Brake Lube when I do my diffs shortly but don't know if it's a good recommendation or not. Got the idea from some guy on the internet and given that it makes sense, figured it was worth a try just just for the hell of it.

Brake lube only withstands high heat which is not present in a diff. It will work just like any other grease but there is a speciality for a reason and this is not it. I have not heard anyone complain about a grease issue. Feel free to experiment but set yourself some guidelines as to what you want to improve and see if it actually does. If it does improve, share the experience. There is always the odd application where it does matter.

How are people melting their center diff cups?
Keep in mind that 'high temps' is a relative terms. Brakes are easily in the 800F (400C) range while center diffs melt at lower temps, maybe 250F(?).
They melt from the inside (low fluid or some other issue) and external grease will do nothing. Other possibility is a rock or something else getting caught.

You never use any grease on the center diff anyway.

Just came across this comparison video of Lucas red and tacky and some general purpose grease. Very informative.

OH NO YOU DON'T!!!! I'M NOT CLICKING ON THAT!!!!

Ever time I click on one of that guys videos, the next 4 hours of my life flash before my eyes as I keep watching his videos!

Going to be trying Permatex Ceramic Brake Lube when I do my diffs shortly but don't know if it's a good recommendation or not. Got the idea from some guy on the internet and given that it makes sense, figured it was worth a try just just for the hell of it.
I’ve used SuperLube brake grease before and it has always worked well for me. I now use RnT as it was recommended, but either would surely be fine

I’ve used SuperLube brake grease before and it has always worked well for me. I now use RnT as it was recommended, but either would surely be fine
That guy's tests say that Red N Tacky is better in all respects. SuperLube might be fine, but given the low cost of grease, might as well get the Red N Tacky.

That guy's tests say that Red N Tacky is better in all respects. SuperLube might be fine, but given the low cost of grease, might as well get the Red N Tacky.
Yep thats why I switched too. Just wanted to note I never had any issues with SuperLube either.

One thing I have learned, if you do not define the actual meaning of 'it's better' it really is a mute point and not a meaningful point of discussion.
There is always something 'better' out there but it might really make no meaningful difference with respect to your application.
Nothing wrong with any of them, even the cheapest grease, that comes stock, does it's job.

I'm going to pull the diffs this weekend and check the fluid levels. I'm glad I found this thread. I was curious what everyone used seeing a picture in another thread of the diff.

So my question is are you supposed to really clean the diff and car housing before adding (Red & Tacky since I already have it)? How R&T should I use?

I'm going to pull the diffs this weekend and check the fluid levels. I'm glad I found this thread. I was curious what everyone used seeing a picture in another thread of the diff.

So my question is are you supposed to really clean the diff and car housing before adding (Red & Tacky since I already have it)? How R&T should I use?
Hey kantonburg.

Take the time to wipe the grease out of the bulkhead (diff housing) and off the diff itself each time you are in there. There's a good chance some dirt or debris worked its way in between the bulkhead and chassis unless you've added some gaskets. Link to gaskets

As far as how much to add I just pack grease into the teeth on the main drive gear and then enough to cover the input gear. Ill try to find a picture and add it to this post later.

Here's how much I like to put on the gears in my diffs.

20210122_170654.jpg

Last edited:
One thing I have learned, if you do not define the actual meaning of 'it's better' it really is a mute point and not a meaningful point of discussion.
There is always something 'better' out there but it might really make no meaningful difference with respect to your application.
Nothing wrong with any of them, even the cheapest grease, that comes stock, does it's job.
Me being snarky and pointing out your error is a moot point.

F01528EE-C9DC-4663-AE31-E40DF2CC1154.png

Back