What are you working on today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck winning the tires!.

Sunday I went to my model boat clubs pond cleanup day, I picked up trash while those guys were setting up the buoys for our race course.I brought my Yeti along so I could climb the washed out banks around the pond.I was climbing/jumping it up 80-90* banks and all of that abuse stripped the rear axle.

I tore the truck apart on Monday and ordered the HD Bevell gear kit.After thinking about it all day today I decided to order a V2 Vanquish axle housing kit with the oversized pinion bearing.It just doesn't make any sense putting $30 gears in a $10 housing.I still need lockouts and a few other items but at least I got the expensive part out of the way.

image.jpeg

Installed my stock Mega motor and ESC into my original Tamiya Blackfoot. Can't wait to run it tomorrow! Even if it's not faster at least I got rid of the mechanical ESC!!

View attachment 2088
Installed my stock Mega motor and ESC into my original Tamiya Blackfoot. Can't wait to run it tomorrow! Even if it's not faster at least I got rid of the mechanical ESC!!
A "mechanical" ESC? Got pics?
I know I'm guilty of slammin' that Arrma Mega 15T motor but with those wheels, if not higher top end, you'll definitely have some nice torque!

Trying to make me some hex pin for my 17mm adapters. I think I got it geared so high I'm snapping the arrow pins. So I drilled out my stub axle and got some steel roll pins and going to cut them. I'll see how this works out!

Attachments

• 1467808680103-1340136945.jpg
    1467808680103-1340136945.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 43
image.jpeg
A "mechanical" ESC? Got pics?
I know I'm guilty of slammin' that Arrma Mega 15T motor but with those wheels, if not higher top end, you'll definitely have some nice torque!

There was a second servo with linkage to the esc to control the arm.
Also eliminated the 4 aa batteries on board the truck, as well as the ceramic resistor. With the second servo and all that gone, it was a good bit of weight.
It was cool in the 80's but technology has sure come a long way!

View attachment 2091

Also eliminated the 4 aa batteries on board the truck, as well as the ceramic resistor. With the second servo and all that gone, it was a good bit of weight.
That is so kewl @Rdub, thx for sharing.
A long way indeed.
The brushless motors and LiPos really emphasize that.

That is so kewl @Rdub, thx for sharing.
A long way indeed.
The brushless motors and LiPos really emphasize that.

Ran it today in the backyard. Maybe a touch faster but much more responsive, and will be much more reliable in the long run!

View attachment 2091

Just realized I kept typing ESC. The mechanical "old one" was just an SC. Lol.

image.jpeg
So I had the old Blackfoot out again today with my mega 15 turn installed and found out the hard way that 25 year old rims and curbs don't mix. Took that turn into the driveway a little too sharp!! eBay here I come!

On a good note - I fully discharged and recharged the 7.2 volt stick pack- and this motor definitely has it quicker than the ole Tamiya 540 (or should I say "had" it quicker til I broke the wheel.

View attachment 2106 So I had the old Blackfoot out again today with my mega 15 turn installed and found out the hard way that 25 year old rims and curbs don't mix. Took that turn into the driveway a little too sharp!! eBay here I come!

On a good note - I fully discharged and recharged the 7.2 volt stick pack- and this motor definitely has it quicker than the ole Tamiya 540 (or should I say "had" it quicker til I broke the wheel.
Sure are nice looking tires. Think you can salvage them from the brittle rims?

Hi

You might be able to boil the rims to make then more pliable or you can get new ones from tower. And as for what I did today I had to replace a turn signal switch assembly on a 83 Chevy S10, not a fun thing to do.

Hi

You might be able to boil the rims to make then more pliable or you can get new ones from tower. And as for what I did today I had to replace a turn signal switch assembly on a 83 Chevy S10, not a fun thing to do.
Imagine how much more hellacious that would have been if it were not a pre-airbag vehicle.

I'm sorry that I haven't been posting lately, I'm knee deep in a Beast 6x6 build so I haven't been getting online very much the past few weeks.

The roof is installed with 5mm magnets, I can drop it on the cab and it lines itself up tight.The machine gun will also function, I already modified it to hold fiber optics in the brass barrel, I just need to install the led that powers it on the roof.

The interior is also magnetic, I can remove the seats and dashboard to keep improving them over the years.

It needs weight to flex properly, I've been making pallets, ammo cans and ammo crates assembly line style.Im expecting a custom adress stamp for the crates that will read

"2 CARTRIDGE 120MM HE
FOR USE IN M1 MBT"

I've been using empty 5.56mm shell casings and thumb tacks to make scale sabot rounds.

I'm basically trying to build this thing nice enough that I can fit in with the high dollar tanks that end up at club events.It will end up woodland camo if I don't screw up.

Attachments

• 20160710_000634.jpg
    20160710_000634.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20160710_000658.jpg
    20160710_000658.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20160710_000712.jpg
    20160710_000712.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20160710_000811.jpg
    20160710_000811.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20160710_001552.jpg
    20160710_001552.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20160710_001858.jpg
    20160710_001858.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20160709_013745.jpg
    20160709_013745.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 42
My 1/18th 25A ESC/4800kv motor arrived today.
The 3S 1200mAh LiPos and Fly Sky Tx/Rx are en-route.
Dropped the quarter in the pic for size ref.

IMG_1667.jpg

image.jpeg
View attachment 2106 So I had the old Blackfoot out again today with my mega 15 turn installed and found out the hard way that 25 year old rims and curbs don't mix. Took that turn into the driveway a little too sharp!! eBay here I come!

So I finally got some wheels off eBay and the tires were not glued well at all so they came off easy!!! The gold plated are half the price of the original yellow wheels (even though they are all from the re- releases). Anyway.... She's running again and before I destroy the original hard plastic body, I dug my old Parma body out of the attic (I think I was 16 when I painted that - lol). What was I thinking with those decals? Lol

IMG_1656.jpg
What vehicle will those goodies be going into Steve?Thanks for sharing

Dromida 4.18MT, brushed.

Here's my post from the "what did you by today" thread:

I decided, at the encouragement of @Afro Samurai , to blow out my Dromida 4.18 MT.
The MT has been sitting on a shelf because, *sigh* it's just too slow to be fun.
Soooooooooo.......
Ordered a 25A ESC/4800kv motor combo, 3S 1200mah LiPos, some cheapie 1/10 drift wheels [all the same size so it doesn't force the gears to strip from over-driving/under-driving the front].
Still to order:
8mm to 12mm adapters, 10T pinion gear [brushless motor ought to spin way faster than the granny-brushed motor] and a fly Sky Tx/Rx.

I have no idea if the existing Dromida Tx can be paired with another Rx. I do have to change the Rx, because on the brushed editions, Dromida integrated the ESC/Rx into a single unit and there are threads all over the 'net warning LiPos will blow it out.

It will take, what? 3 to 4 weeks for all the components to arrive.

This will be my "trunk RC", so when I am out and about and feel the need to bash, I'll be set to go!

Till then, stay tuned!

View attachment 2482

So I finally got some wheels off eBay and the tires were not glued well at all so they came off easy!!! The gold plated are half the price of the original yellow wheels (even though they are all from the re- releases). Anyway.... She's running again and before I destroy the original hard plastic body, I dug my old Parma body out of the attic (I think I was 16 when I painted that - lol). What was I thinking with those decals? Lol

Those were probably the best looking graphics available at the time lol.Nearly everything had a Turbo sticker on it when I was a kid.

View attachment 2483

Dromida 4.18MT, brushed.

Here's my post from the "what did you by today" thread:

Sweet, please let us all know how it performs.

Sweet, please let us all know how it performs.

Hey @Micromodder ,
I'm sure it will go much faster, but the handling, meh, will go from bad to krappy, most likely.
It's 1/18th so bounces all over the place. Heck, it's hard to line up on a 2 foot wide ramp.
Maybe the Dromida Tx/Rx is weak, maybe the servo is lame, or both, IDK...
Either way, I enjoy modding.

Hey @Micromodder ,
I'm sure it will go much faster, but the handling, meh, will go from bad to krappy, most likely.
It's 1/18th so bounces all over the place. Heck, it's hard to line up on a 2 foot wide ramp.
Maybe the Dromida Tx/Rx is weak, maybe the servo is lame, or both, IDK...
Either way, I enjoy modding.

Have you driven it yett, how does it run?

I built a Harbor Freight work bench last night.

Attachments

• 20160818_224134.jpg
    20160818_224134.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 36
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back