What charger are you using for 6s 5000mah?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any charger will do if you do not care about time.
If you want to charge at the recommended 1C charge rate you will need a charger that can supply (6S=24V at 5000mA = 24V*5A=120W)
That would be minimum 120W per channel (dual), higher is ok lower will just take longer.
Will a 50W charger work? - yes it will just take longer. No that won't cause damage to the battery.

Hota will do it, others will as well. Pick one that gives you the right connector options.
I've opted for the Hota and not looking back.
I always figured these high powered chargers would damage packs because they push so much power in such a short amount of time.
Got blinded by it - I got 4S 5000mah smart batteries but the charger is heavily underpowered my PL8 is much better / with smart receivers you can get the battery detail just fine but even that seems to be a bit off at time I tend to set the alarm 10/15% higher than expected to be sure
What would you say about the Spektrum smart batteries themselves? How do they perform? Any issues compared to other packs you use?

What would you say about the Spektrum smart batteries themselves? How do they perform? Any issues compared to other packs you use?

I only have 4S 5000mah 100C packs and can only compare those to other packs I have - they seems to have good punch especially compared to my 6S 5000mah 50C/100C Optipower Ultras (probably one of the best packs I know) - longevity cant say not enough cycles - Optipowers will give me ~400 cycles starting to slowly degrade from ~280-320 cycles - I can get more cycles out of them no doubt but not at the same power delivery thats what I am highlighting here ...

I always figured these high powered chargers would damage packs because they push so much power in such a short amount of time.
You set the charge current, the charger only outputs what you specify.
As @CrashBoom stated, you set the current limit on the charger for your battery. If you set a higher current, the next limit is the power of the charger itself i.e. you can set 6S/5A all day long on a 50W charger and it will end up in the ~ 2A region as a max current going to the battery.
If you do this on a higher powered charger or set a higher limit it will deliver to it's capability.
Most batteries are capable of charging at higher rates i.e. I wouldn't be too worried to charge at higher power ratings but it will stress the battery more than usual. It's a balance of cycle life and immediate need.

I rarely am in such a hurry to need to charge more than one 6s pack at a time. If I were running 2x3s I would probably use both ports. I've wanted a power supply forever but can't justify the cost of one that's already set up and I'm not confident enough in my skills to build my own from a server power supply ....which would easily save me more money.

I rarely am in such a hurry to need to charge more than one 6s pack at a time. If I were running 2x3s I would probably use both ports. I've wanted a power supply forever but can't justify the cost of one that's already set up and I'm not confident enough in my skills to build my own from a server power supply ....which would easily save me more money.

It's not difficult to convert a $20 server power supply. I have an HP DPS-600PB that I will probably get around to converting in the next few weeks - I can post the build instructions if you'd like. Mostly a matter of soldering on some banana jacks and shorting out a few pins.

It's not difficult to convert a $20 server power supply. I have an HP DPS-600PB that I will probably get around to converting in the next few weeks - I can post the build instructions if you'd like. Mostly a matter of soldering on some banana jacks and shorting out a few pins.

This would be extremely helpful. ?I've watched videos (Bardwell etc) and read a lot about it but still nervous. I'd love to have a 24v power supply at the cost of some soldering and connecters and a $20-30 server supply. In fact, I bet I can get some friends that run an ISP to give me a server power supply or at least hook me up with a new one at their bulk buying prices.

This would be extremely helpful. ?I've watched videos (Bardwell etc) and read a lot about it but still nervous. I'd love to have a 24v power supply at the cost of some soldering and connecters and a $20-30 server supply. In fact, I bet I can get some friends that run an ISP to give me a server power supply or at least hook me up with a new one at their bulk buying prices.

24V is a little more difficult as there are some additional steps needed to connect the PSUs in series, I'm just doing a single.

It's generally much cheaper to get a used PSU than new, even with a bulk discount.

I wouldn't recommend the D6+ anymore. Mine died yesterday while using it for the second time.
This doesn't mean anything, remember it is a mass produced electronic device they aren't perfect. What is their warranty like?

Thanks for ALL the suggestions guys,I appreciate it.

Last edited:
This doesn't mean anything, remember it is a mass produced electronic device they aren't perfect. What is their warranty like?
12 month from date of purchase.
I agree, electronics break. That will never be a decision maker for myself, unless reviews show high rate of fail and I wouldn't buy it. Different story if the warranty is meaningless.

6s 5000mAh 22.2v 50c-100
I'm pretty sure he was asking for the charging 'C' rate, easily to confuse, typically overlooked and not always shown on the battery. Manufacturer would have that data. Standard is 1C.

I agree, electronics break. That will never be a decision maker for myself, unless reviews show high rate of fail and I wouldn't buy it. Different story if the warranty is meaningless.

I'm pretty sure he was asking for the charging 'C' rate, easily to confuse, typically overlooked and not always shown on the battery. Manufacturer would have that data. Standard is 1C.

5C,2C is recommended. They are HRB bateries.
Batteries

I'm leaning towards the Hota D6+.Does it have any sort of memory function? I would like to be able to save settings for individual batteries and then just have to pull up that setting to charge.

I'm leaning towards the Hota D6+.Does it have any sort of memory function? I would like to be able to save settings for individual batteries and then just have to pull up that setting to charge.
I don't see why it wouldn't, my $23 Imax 6s clone had battery memory profiles.

Good,just didn't see it in the specs and couldnt find a manual.

Good,just didn't see it in the specs and couldnt find a manual.
I've been trying to find a manual and so far all I have found is a quick start guide.

Where did you get the info regarding the 12 months warranty?
I ordered mine at Banggood a few weeks ago and I am still waiting for a reply if I get a new charger or a refund, if anything.
The charger was used 3 hours max.
Another newer review @ Bg reported the same problem.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back