What color/colour..??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bad, I was rinsing my stomach with the IPA.

Wouldn't scuffing it make the finish dull?

My first coat was actually a Spazz Stix pearl coat, so my best guess is incompatibility between that and the two brands. I let the pearl coat dry for days. They say recoat is 24h on the Spazz Stix. Either way, I've used Tamiya in the past and it always seem to be very thin / transparent, then scuffs off easily.
Different IPA haha. ?? No the scuffing isn’t visible after the first coat is laid down. I was surprised as well. Worked out nicely.

I'm done with Tamiya paint. It coats thin and does not stick as well as others. I just painted one and they don't list a recoat time. I generally wait 15-30 minutes between coats, but this one wrinkled up as the second coat dried, so I had to do quite a few more coats to fill in the wrinkled parts, allowing a full 24h dry between coats. Last body I used the Duratrax paint and I think it's stronger.
Tamiya is considered the best and most expensive. I tried many, but some times its just matter of conditions and prep work. I have had some bad Tamiya results too. Humidity is the worst enemy of any lexan paint job, no matter the brand paint. and when a paint job fails, I always recall Humidity was too high. A heat gun is you friend even in perfect ambient conditions while painting. Don't overlook prep as a causal factor. Some guys don't scuff up the lexan after a cleaning and then clean again after scuffing and before painting. Now I always do. Results are always better.

Some guys don't scuff up the lexan after a cleaning and then clean again after scuffing and before painting. Now I always do. Results are always better.

You say scuff up what do you mean exactly..??

When doing mine I always just wash inside the body with a neutral soap and warm water then dry off properly, I then move onto paint I do multiple light coats building up gradually until I get a solid color letting it dry in-between.
I'll also leave it at least 24hrs before putting on a backing coat too using the same method as above.?

When doing mine I always just wash inside the body with a neutral soap and warm water then dry off properly, I then move onto paint I do multiple light coats building up gradually until I get a solid color letting it dry in-between.
I'll also leave it at least 24hrs before putting on a backing coat too using the same method as above.?
Scuffing refers to you using a scouring pad to rough up the body. Use one of the green pads that you use to scrub dishes with. Scotch brite pad I believe is the name of them

Does the scuffing not show through the body once finished.??
I was gonna guess it was a scotch brite but held back..?

Yeah it's Scotch brite pads and you won't see any scratches.

Does the scuffing not show through the body once finished.??
I was gonna guess it was a scotch brite but held back..?
Yeah it's Scotch brite pads and you won't see any scratches.
You can also use 0000 steel wool. Super fine. You just want micro scratches to get the paint to have more surface area to grab on to. You won’t be able to see them. It may look slightly cloudy before your first layer of paint, but lay down that first light coat and they disappear. Try on some lexan sheets to make sure your method work before doing it on a body.

Also, rinse the body with IPA and allow it to dry. You can also preheat it with a heat gun prior to spraying to help it adhere and dry better. ????

I have a GT body to paint but it’s way too cold out right now. My plan is to knock it out when the weather is in the 60s again.

Neon (Translucent) Green, White and Gunmetal looks absolutely killer (paint of my Stampede 2wd). :cool:
Green and Black might look sweet too.

IMAG2.jpg

IMG-20190523-WA0000.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back