Kraton What did I break?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5mall5nail5

Reaction score
Hey all - just got a Kraton 6s v5 for xmas for my son and I. Is great. Have the speed gear in it and swapped on a heatsink from a Mojave that I had laying around - temps are so low in SE PA, USA that it's had no issues with heat, etc.

However, we took it out in the snow and loaded the wheels up with snow/ice. I could tell they were super off balance. Well, we took the Kraton out today with my 3 y/o and noticed it was throwing the front wheels all over the place. Thought they had water in the tires, nope - totally dry. Turns out I broke this area on both sides:

i.php

It's flipped out toward me, but I can't tell for sure what I actually broke. Avoiding taking it down because I won't have time to put it back together for a bit so figured I'd like to order the part in advance if possible.

Thanks!

The cold weather makes the plastics brittle. This is a high stress area/ part. Driver error usually to blame. But the Cold temps works against you even more so.
You need this:

https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR330379

Hot Racing makes an Alloy version. I use this on my Kraton. For some reason, of all my 6s rigs, my Kraton was only eating the stockers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1936934749...1291&msclkid=c6dfc8c10eaa1fcd4a66a9259b67c75b

You need to break out the manual and start wrenching. Much has to be disassembled. Basically, to get to the Steering Top Plate where it is attached to.
take your time. Need to remove the whole ST Top plate to install a new upper mount. No getting around this. Not one of my favorite things to replace. Its why I went with the HR alloy upper hinge pin mount.
Since you will be in this area while all apart, now is the time to replace the 4 Steering Brass bushings and replace with 4 sealed BB's. What I would do if you haven't already. Your servo will thank you. A stitch in time saves nine while you have the Steering Top plate apart and removed.
My recommendation. Everyone upgrades to the BB's out the box.. Get rid of the brass bushings while you are there.:cool:

https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA610050

Important:
Make sure the Hinge Pin did not get bent!!! Might need a new one. Don't get caught short without one. Disassemble everything first, so you know what you will need to order.
I would look over much else very closely while apart. You may have other broken parts. But usually, the Upper Hinge Pin might be bent.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I THOUGHT it was the upper arm plate but wasn't sure since the part is broken and spun around.

Great idea on the bushings to BB. Ironically, I have a Mojave 6s v2 that we've beat the crap out of without any issue up front at all. I did M2C hub extensions and Vitavon hubs and it's been flawless, but now I wonder about the steering bushings.

Thanks again all - will grab bearings, metal upper arm mount, pins just in case, and check into that screw.

This forum is great! Long live forums.

That calls out v2,3,4 of 6s, but I think my Kraton 6s is v5. Does that matter?
That part will fit the V5 it has remained unchanged since V1, it however will not work on the EXB models at least not without the upper hinge pins from a V5.

It does say not compatible with v5.
I have no personal experience with this brace in the V5.

View attachment 193315
The only thing different in that area between a V4 and a V5 is the shock tower and not sure if those are different enough for it not to work. 🤷‍♂️

On my Kraton 6s I have the Hot Racing hinge pin mounts on all four of the lower hinge pin mounts. I haven't replaced the top front mount you broke with the Hot Racing mount yet, but I will do that if or when the stock mount breaks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back