Granite What Did I Do Wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The blx100 on my granite works fine in nimh mode. Just doesn't have lvc. Tested with a lv alarm plugged into the balance connector while running it.

The only thing nimh mode does on my esc is disable lvc.

So if the problem is still there when running a lipo in nimh mode. It isn't a lvc problem. Maybe faulty esc, bad connections. Or new batteries that are going to take some breaking in before they deliver the required current (10-15 cycles)

The blx100 on my granite works fine in nimh mode. Just doesn't have lvc. Tested with a lv alarm plugged into the balance connector while running it.

The only thing nimh mode does on my esc is disable lvc.

So if the problem is still there when running a lipo in nimh mode. It isn't a lvc problem. Maybe faulty esc, bad connections. Or new batteries that are going to take some breaking in before they deliver the required current (10-15 cycles)
They are not having lvc issues. Everyone is thinking it is lvc because they are losing throttle. It's a brown out scenario. The esc isn't able to handle the amp draw. Cheaper made Fets I'm guessing on this newer batch.

Yeah that's why I figured mine would have problems because I bought it new from tower hobbies and it just arrived this week.

Made me nervous so I bought a new max10 sct to replace it. But now I might have to be sure the max10 sct is good

Yeah that's why I figured mine would have problems because I bought it new from tower hobbies and it just arrived this week.

Made me nervous so I bought a new max10 sct to replace it. But now I might have to be sure the max10 sct is good
I hit up jennyrc for a blx185 and have had zero issues and I never have to worry about the esc ever getting hot.

I’ve ran a 5000 mAh 50C LiPo, a 3500 mAh 100C LiPo, and a 7000 mAh 65C LiPo. All of them 3S. All of them lost power after wide open throttle for 5-10 seconds.

If this is all on 3s have you tried 2s? Is this doing this on the bench when testing too or just when out when you actually drive it?

Maybe try doing the transmitter to esc calibration process again too just to rule out it being a weird transmitter issue

I ran it on the bench and had the same issue with both large 3S packs, but I haven’t tried 2S. I ended up getting a stock motor from the hobby shop (thinking maybe it was drawing too much amperage), but that didn’t seem to be the fix. They ended up keeping the truck and they’re going to warranty it out.

My voltage never dropped below 3.9V on any battery. I’m assuming there’s a low voltage cutoff that’s set way too high, or as others have mentioned, they used cheaper components as of late and they aren’t handling the power as well.

I really appreciate all of the help you guys have offered though ?

I ran it on the bench and had the same issue with both large 3S packs, but I haven’t tried 2S. I ended up getting a stock motor from the hobby shop (thinking maybe it was drawing too much amperage), but that didn’t seem to be the fix. They ended up keeping the truck and they’re going to warranty it out.

My voltage never dropped below 3.9V on any battery. I’m assuming there’s a low voltage cutoff that’s set way too high, or as others have mentioned, they used cheaper components as of late and they aren’t handling the power as well.

I hope the new one doesn't have the same issues. If it does you can find cheap esc on Jenny's rc good luck. Keep us posted

Resting voltage means nothing. You need a voltage reading under load to determine whether or not your voltage is infact sagging.

If someone gets a warranty claim and horizon replaces the esc. I would gladly pay shipping costs for one of the faulty esc's. Just to check it out and tear it down.

They may have changed fets, capacitors or diodes.
Nice to reverse engineer it. Yes. But these ESC's are "Potted" pretty well. (PCB is waterproofed/encapsulated) I don't know how you will be able to see much. But a decent idea. I tried taking my bricked blx 185 apart, to no avail, except destructing it. All you can see visible are the caps. and whether they visibly popped.

Man that sucks, sorry to hear you’re having problems with a brand new Arrma. But it happens, they mass produce these items and there will be bad parts not caught by QC. I was looking at grabbing a granite with tax money, but I may end up waiting or just get one and swap out the esc.

Everything the OP describes is exactly what I'm experiencing with a new Typhon 3s, same battery spec and same blinking light. There's definitely something wrong with the QC as I know these aren't isolated incidents, I still don't know if it's the ESC or some else like tight drivetrain causing too much strain? I need to test on the weekend as I've stripped and rebuilt the drivetrain and it now feels much smoother, just my luck if they want to warranty the whole truck as I've spent £20 and 3 hours putting upgraded bearings in.

If you’re having issues with the BLX100, get a Lipo alarm and run it in NiMH mode and report back please.

So as of late this evening, my hobby shop got back with me.

He told me that he spoke with his Horizon rep about the warranty and he told me that he asked about an issue with the trucks. He said, “She didn’t say there was an issue with the ESC, but she didn’t say there wasn’t. You know what I mean?” So it would appear that there may be an issue regarding quality control of the ESC. That is just unconfirmed speculation though

The current solution is no longer a brand new truck. He mentioned the larger ESC some of the other members have mentioned, and the Horizon rep agreed with it. So since I’ve already replaced the Stock motor and ESC, they’re actually sending a BLX120 ESC for my truck.

I will update everybody in about a week when the part gets delivered, but regardless I’m excited to see what the truck drives like.

Thanks for all of the input fellas ?

He told me that he spoke with his Horizon rep about the warranty and he told me that he asked about an issue with the trucks. He said, “She didn’t say there was an issue with the ESC, but she didn’t say there wasn’t. You know what I mean?” So it would appear that there may be an issue regarding quality control of the ESC. That is just unconfirmed speculation though

The current solution is no longer a brand new truck. He mentioned the larger ESC some of the other members have mentioned, and the Horizon rep agreed with it. So since I’ve already replaced the Stock motor and ESC, they’re actually sending a BLX120 ESC for my truck.

I will update everybody in about a week when the part gets delivered, but regardless I’m excited to see what the truck drives like.

I'm going to say it's safe to assume that they know there is a problem with the escs but they aren't admitting to it yet. But at least it's only affecting the BLX100. And good to know that they are sending you a BLX120.

Last edited:

Horizon is sending me a replacement ESC but it’s back ordered till the end of March due to the Coronavirus scare and China basically shutting down. I don’t know if it’s gonna be another BLX100 or a 120. I grabbed a BLX120 from Jenny’s today so I should be rolling without issue by next week. I figured for $50 it was worth buying one instead of waiting for a month for the Horizon one to get here. Atleast I’ll have a backup incase something else happens. ?

Horizon is sending me a replacement ESC but it’s back ordered till the end of March due to the Coronavirus scare and China basically shutting down. I don’t know if it’s gonna be another BLX100 or a 120. I grabbed a BLX120 from Jenny’s today so I should be rolling without issue by next week. I figured for $50 it was worth buying one instead of waiting for a month for the Horizon one to get here. Atleast I’ll have a backup incase something else happens. ?
That just mean that now you have to buy a car for the spare esc to go in ?

Warranty the esc trough HH, they are really good. My BR esc behaved exactly the same as you are describing. They sent me a new one, problem solved.

I tried mine in NiMH mode with lipo alarm (set to 3.4v per cell) today and got a good 20 minutes before it beeped, I need to try again in lipo mode now though as I stripped and rebuilt everything with rubber sealed bearings since my last outing which leaves the possibility that it was the drivetrain causing the issue rather than the ESC.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back