Outcast What did you do with your Outcast today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Repaired two Backflips, replaced custom wheelie bar with original wheelie bar
Changed punch back to 6

the ESC-fan died on me.
I was just checking last things to make the car bash ready... :(

So I just ordered a new fan....
FYI, with a little bit of soldering, these fans seem to work well:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0782RHV3T

Get 3 for near the price of 1.

I put new ends on 2 for my buddy who breaks a lot of fans, repaired a broken lead on one of his, he's been through 4 fans this year. I have one more as a spare, which I may need for my outcast.

Busted my first ESC fan in my eJato this weekend. Different size of course, 30x7mm vs 35x10. I was able to by 4 alternate fans to replace it for $11 vs the $15 I paid for the traxxas fan in the first place. Kind of lame they don't include fans with all their esc's...

Repaired two Backflips, replaced custom wheelie bar with original wheelie bar
Changed punch back to 6

the ESC-fan died on me.
I was just checking last things to make the car bash ready... :(

So I just ordered a new fan....
Bummer dude! Which fan did you get to replace it? Another hobbywing fan or a WTF?

Installed Tekno ball ends (TKR6140B, TKR5049A) on my rear outcast shocks.

I guess one was stretched a bit:
2018-0814-Outcast-ShockEnds-vs-TeknoTKR6140B-TKR5049A.jpg

Vs the dubro monster 3mm ball links I put on the front last week:
2018-0806-Dubro2319Monster3mmVsArrmaAR330338-01.jpg

Was going to install a 14T pinion instead of the 15T to help with temps on 4S. Took the center brace out, center diff/motor assembly out, took the pinion off, put the new one on, then realized I was shipped another 15T.

Took my outcast out for the first run on 4s

Man is this thing awesome!!! Wheelies across the yard. Turns on a dime. Seems to fly right off the ramp. I think Im going to drive it a lot more than my kraton!! 6s batteries on the way, I hope I don't break too much stuff

Last edited:
Wrenched on it. Put a new ring/pinion in the front. I reused the old cup/output drives because there wasn't anything wrong with them and I didn't feel like fussing with the 100k oil I had in it. I think I figured out why I blew the diff, one or two of my diff front cover screws were stripped. One for sure wasn't biting into anything. I tried putting a shim behind the pinion, but the ones I had were too thick, so I used 3 shims on the ring gear bearing vs the two I had before. Still spins ok with a bit of a high spot, but that will wear in, or should.

Going to pick up a set of brushless e-maxx tires/wheels for it tomorrow to try and lighten the load a bit, will also lose some tire diameter over the trencher 3.8's I have on it, so going to lose a bit of speed. Maybe it will run cool enough that I can gear back up a little to 15/50 vs the 14/50 I'm running. Will see how it does.

I also left the front sway bar off. 90% because it's annoying to deal with, 10% because I want to see how it handles. I still have the one on the rear.

Let us know how it handles without the sway bar
For me, it's weird to have them as every other truck I own doesn't. So, I'm used to the chassis pitching to the left/right. Especially my savage flux hp, savage x, nitro revo's and brushless revo.

Combined with smaller/lighter tires, it should be fine to drive, especially with what I do. This thing will never see a track... except if I'm lucky, a BMX track once in a while. ;)

Installed Tekno ball ends (TKR6140B, TKR5049A) on my rear outcast shocks.

I guess one was stretched a bit:
2018-0814-Outcast-ShockEnds-vs-TeknoTKR6140B-TKR5049A.jpg

Vs the dubro monster 3mm ball links I put on the front last week:
2018-0806-Dubro2319Monster3mmVsArrmaAR330338-01.jpg

Was going to install a 14T pinion instead of the 15T to help with temps on 4S. Took the center brace out, center diff/motor assembly out, took the pinion off, put the new one on, then realized I was shipped another 15T.

Would you recommend using the tekno ball ends on both front and rear?

Ran the truck pretty hard last night and had a "hold my beer" moment.

IMG_7485.JPG

IMG_7486.JPG

Ordered a Voltage Hobbies rear chassis brace, WTF fan, and whole new diff case for the rear this morning

I need to know how it happened!

I had a 4' high wooden ramp out in this horse jumping ring late last night, and was clearing the horse jumps from 40' to 50' out like a football clearing goalposts..... until.... I came off the ramp at a weird angle and landed ass end onto one of the horse jumps.

IMG_7490.JPG

I had a 4' high wooden ramp out in this horse jumping ring late last night, and was clearing the horse jumps from 40' to 50' out like a football clearing goalposts..... until.... I came off the ramp at a weird angle and landed ass end onto one of the horse jumps.

View attachment 21560

That’s an awesome way to smash your Outcast! Go big or go home!

Would you recommend using the tekno ball ends on both front and rear?
I'm not sure yet. I have a couple sessions on the tekno rears and one more session on the dubro fronts. The tekno rears didn't require shims like the dubros. I'll see how they hold up after a few more bash sessions.

Putting washers behind/in front of the dubro's made installing them a bit of a pain, but without them the ball end had enough slop to move around a few mm, forward and back, on the pin that goes through the ball. Getting those washers to stay in place while inserting the pin was a pain.

So, if the tekno's hold up over time, that's what I'd stick with. So far, neither have any noticeable wear or slop.

Got some new tires/wheels for my outcast, Traxxas emaxx 17mm 0 offest. They are a bit smaller diameter than the trenchers and 1oz lighter than the stocks while being 2oz lighter than the trenchers. I'm keeping the 14T pinion for now to see how it does. Will probably need to put the 15T at least in now that I'm losing diameter. Hopefully they work ok and I can bump up to 16T for a bit more speed. Supposed to get up around 85F tomorrow, so should be able to see how it does.

2018-0825-Outcast-EmaxxWheelsTires-side-BodyOn.jpg

2018-0825-Outcast-EmaxxWheelsTires-side.jpg

I bought a wheel balancer, but I'm not sure it will do any good. At least one out of the 4 tires/wheels is a bit misshapen. I have them all balanced pretty good though. Took what I think is a lot of putty to get them "balanced".
2018-0825-Outcast-EmaxxWheelsTires-balancePutty.jpg

Spent over an hour spinning, adding putty, spinning, adding putty... That was after I cut out the little nubs in the hexes that are specific to traxxas wheel hubs.

Got some new tires/wheels for my outcast, Traxxas emaxx 17mm 0 offest. They are a bit smaller diameter than the trenchers and 1oz lighter than the stocks while being 2oz lighter than the trenchers. I'm keeping the 14T pinion for now to see how it does. Will probably need to put the 15T at least in now that I'm losing diameter. Hopefully they work ok and I can bump up to 16T for a bit more speed. Supposed to get up around 85F tomorrow, so should be able to see how it does.

2018-0825-Outcast-EmaxxWheelsTires-side-BodyOn.jpg

2018-0825-Outcast-EmaxxWheelsTires-side.jpg

I bought a wheel balancer, but I'm not sure it will do any good. At least one out of the 4 tires/wheels is a bit misshapen. I have them all balanced pretty good though. Took what I think is a lot of putty to get them "balanced".
2018-0825-Outcast-EmaxxWheelsTires-balancePutty.jpg

Spent over an hour spinning, adding putty, spinning, adding putty... That was after I cut out the little nubs in the hexes that are specific to traxxas wheel hubs.
I just take out the rear dog bones to balance my wheels works perfect.

IMG_7509.JPG
IMG_7510.JPG
IMG_7513.PNG
Tore it completely down and straightened the rear of the chassis back flat today. Only had 3-1/2 packs on this one before I introduced it to a hammer :D

As much as I've tried to avoid it up to this point, I suppose it's time for me to fab up a tower to tower brace.

Id like to see a thicker 7075 milled chassis for these. Lighter and stronger. Milled out in all the right places.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back