What did you print today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't have too much! I have more printing too. 🤣
PXL_20210604_204053983.jpg

Try to hone in on your quality when the prints are how you want them design and fit wise.. your filament looks moisture soaked.. try drying the spool in a dehydrator for a couple days or throw it in the oven for a few hours at like 170 degrees Fahrenheit.. dry filament is a more precise filament..👍

Try to hone in on your quality when the prints are how you want them design and fit wise.. your filament looks moisture soaked.. try drying the spool in a dehydrator for a couple days or throw it in the oven for a few hours at like 170 degrees Fahrenheit.. dry filament is a more precise filament..👍
I never did let it get wet. Always in a sealed bag with disectints. I guess it wouldn't hurt to dry it out too. Do you have a link to a dehydrator I should get?

Any cheap dehydrator will work... Just cut the centers out of the racks.. leave one complete for the bottom rack to hold the spools..

Issue with sealed bags is you open them.. filament instantly starts to absorb water even right off the machines from the factory.. the small packets don't really work once it's been opened to air several times.. I dry all my tpu before using it..

Any cheap dehydrator will work... Just cut the centers out of the racks.. leave one complete for the bottom rack to hold the spools..

Issue with sealed bags is you open them.. filament instantly starts to absorb water even right off the machines from the factory.. the small packets don't really work once it's been opened to air several times.. I dry all my tpu before using it..
Okay, thanks, but i'm not using TPU. I'm using a different "secret" material.

Rookie here. What are the signs that filament needs drying?

There are a couple signs of moisture soaked filament that you can look for..

Excessive fine stringing..

Popping noise from the nozzle, listen carefully as it is extruding

Physical steam release while popping. Seen more in the nylon side of materials.. abs,asa will react the same

Brittle material, pla is most common for this.. once moisture soaked it becomes brittle and will snap very easily.. sometimes pla will not come back from this state if it's had major moisture uptake..

Airy looking prints.. looks more like a under extrusion.. nylon based material is more prone to this and will be quite obvious..

Extremely poor over hangs, given your print settings are correct, overhangs will suffer more while moisture soaked..

It's best to dry any and all filament before use.. the desiccant in the bags is typically already spent by the time it gets to you..👍

Last edited:
There are a couple signs of moisture soaked filament that you can look for..

Excessive fine stringing..

Popping noise from the nozzle, listen carefully as it is extruding

Physical steam release while popping. Seen more in the nylon side of materials.. abs,asa will react the same

Brittle material, pla is most common for this.. once moisture soaked it becomes brittle and will snap very easily.. sometimes pla will not come back from this state if it's had major moisture uptake..

Airy looking prints.. looks more like a under extrusion.. nylon based material is more prone to this and will be quite obvious..

Extremely poor over hangs, given your print settings are correct, overhangs will suffer more while moisture soaked..

It's best to dry any and all filament before use.. the desiccant in the bags is typically already spent by the time it gets to you..👍
Thanks foe the detailed response! I think I have some drying to do.

Over the last couple of days I've had both printers running non stop. Finished up these Jerry cans today. Need to do a little clean up.

Got a roof rack printing now that will be finished by 9am on Sunday. Probably going to have to reprint it with a raft or a hellatious brim.

All going on my scx 6.

20211112_230401.jpg

20211114_004558.jpg

Hahaha. The first one I printed suffered from moisture in the filament.....a LOT. So I broke the top off of it and stood on it with one foot in the kitchen holding onto the island and counter top. It did not break.....I'm not sure how.

This is my 3rd and final, giving me two fully functioning jack stands. Got to remember to toss my filament in the dehydrator the night before a marathon.

download_20211114_010108.jpg

20211114_015455.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back