What did you work on today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all good, I know what you meant..?? I much prefer a clean look too rather than it all stickered to death..??
Yup. I even remove a lot of the stickers from the stock bodies sometimes.

Got some running in yesterday. Lawn darted my outcast from 10+ feet a couple times... bad timing on my part. Cracked the front bulkhead where the bumper mount screws go into it, then my hinge pins worked themselves out.

Replaced the bulkhead with my last spare one. Got another on order. Also replaced the 5x11 bearing on the input as the one in it was a bit loose. Otherwise, the diff seemed good. Cleaned the grease off it and inspected the ring/pinion, then regreased and put it back together.

The max6 got warmer than I thought it would though. It was about 80F out, super humid, grass was tall. I spent most of the run jumping out of the skate park, not a lot running in the grass. After about 15 minutes, I checked the temps. The motor was around 140F but the esc was 155F. It would likely be fine... but I decided that running the 14T pinion (which is why I got the max6) may be too much with the 2050kv motor regardless what esc is pushing it and went back to a 13T. Really though... there was only 1 jump I couldn't easily clear with 13T...

One of the fan blades on the esc also broke off... guess bracing the center of the fan from the bottom wasn't enough. I had a spare 35mm fan, but it was just a cheap pc fan. Didn't have quite the RPM's of the original fan and after comparing it to the Hobbystar 30mm alloy framed fan, the smaller fan pushes a lot more air. So, I finagled a way to put the 30mm fan in instead. Just egged out a couple of the holes int he fan and mounted it to the esc after countersinking the top side of the screw holes. Then I put the esc top peice over it and uses the other two screws to secure it to the esc. I think it will hold up... time will tell.
2020-0525-Outcast-max6-Hobbystar30mmFan.jpg

I also didn't put the cap pack I made back in. Figured it wasn't all that necessary with the max6. I had to remove it to replace the bulkhead.

The hobbystar 3665 3100kv in my stampede was acting weird. Or the blx185 was acting weird. The motor may have gotten hot, but my IR said it wasn't too bad (140F motor, 99F esc), but something odd was happening. It would roll on low throttle input, then chatter and stop when I applied full throttle. Still did it when I got home after it cooled. I didn't find any weak/broken solder connections as it kind of acted like one of the motor leads came loose.

I pulled the motor and put in the old 2200kv motor from my ERBEv1, which is a 4074. Biggest mod .8/5mm pinion I had was 19T, I think I need a 20 or 21 to make up the difference of lost kv's. Got them on order. Still need to finish the wiring on it. The motor wire casing at the motor is frayed, not a lot I can do about that I don't think... maybe I could try and cut around the plastic plug, remove it, then put a couple layers of heat shrink on each wire, then plug the hole with silicone. Guessing this motor may be about on it's last leg anyway and I just wanted to see how it reacted on the bench. Will tidy up the wires a bit and run it in the parking lot after work if it's not raining to see how it does. Hoping 3S is enough. Seemed to be in my hands on the bench. Pizza cuttered the tires... lol!

2020-0525-Stampede-Traxxas-Castle-2200kv-4074-InstalledTest.jpg

Got some running in yesterday. Lawn darted my outcast from 10+ feet a couple times... bad timing on my part. Cracked the front bulkhead where the bumper mount screws go into it, then my hinge pins worked themselves out.

Replaced the bulkhead with my last spare one. Got another on order. Also replaced the 5x11 bearing on the input as the one in it was a bit loose. Otherwise, the diff seemed good. Cleaned the grease off it and inspected the ring/pinion, then regreased and put it back together.

The max6 got warmer than I thought it would though. It was about 80F out, super humid, grass was tall. I spent most of the run jumping out of the skate park, not a lot running in the grass. After about 15 minutes, I checked the temps. The motor was around 140F but the esc was 155F. It would likely be fine... but I decided that running the 14T pinion (which is why I got the max6) may be too much with the 2050kv motor regardless what esc is pushing it and went back to a 13T. Really though... there was only 1 jump I couldn't easily clear with 13T...

One of the fan blades on the esc also broke off... guess bracing the center of the fan from the bottom wasn't enough. I had a spare 35mm fan, but it was just a cheap pc fan. Didn't have quite the RPM's of the original fan and after comparing it to the Hobbystar 30mm alloy framed fan, the smaller fan pushes a lot more air. So, I finagled a way to put the 30mm fan in instead. Just egged out a couple of the holes int he fan and mounted it to the esc after countersinking the top side of the screw holes. Then I put the esc top peice over it and uses the other two screws to secure it to the esc. I think it will hold up... time will tell.
2020-0525-Outcast-max6-Hobbystar30mmFan.jpg

I also didn't put the cap pack I made back in. Figured it wasn't all that necessary with the max6. I had to remove it to replace the bulkhead.

The hobbystar 3665 3100kv in my stampede was acting weird. Or the blx185 was acting weird. The motor may have gotten hot, but my IR said it wasn't too bad (140F motor, 99F esc), but something odd was happening. It would roll on low throttle input, then chatter and stop when I applied full throttle. Still did it when I got home after it cooled. I didn't find any weak/broken solder connections as it kind of acted like one of the motor leads came loose.

I pulled the motor and put in the old 2200kv motor from my ERBEv1, which is a 4074. Biggest mod .8/5mm pinion I had was 19T, I think I need a 20 or 21 to make up the difference of lost kv's. Got them on order. Still need to finish the wiring on it. The motor wire casing at the motor is frayed, not a lot I can do about that I don't think... maybe I could try and cut around the plastic plug, remove it, then put a couple layers of heat shrink on each wire, then plug the hole with silicone. Guessing this motor may be about on it's last leg anyway and I just wanted to see how it reacted on the bench. Will tidy up the wires a bit and run it in the parking lot after work if it's not raining to see how it does. Hoping 3S is enough. Seemed to be in my hands on the bench. Pizza cuttered the tires... lol!

2020-0525-Stampede-Traxxas-Castle-2200kv-4074-InstalledTest.jpg

Very nice! But.. Whoa hey you cant put a big motor in that! How dare you! :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Very nice! But.. Whoa hey you cant put a big motor in that! How dare you! :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:
I have an HPI Flux 2200kv as well... but I think the fins on it make it bigger, so it would be less likely to fit without shaving off some of the fins. The traxxas/castle motor seemed to fit fine, but I couldn't go down lower than 18T I don't think or it would hit the chassis near the end of the motor. I can go bigger though. Will see how the 19T does, but math would suggest I need to go to 21T... then again, the 4074 may have the torque to make it go faster anyway than the 3665 could with the gearing it had.

I have an HPI Flux 2200kv as well... but I think the fins on it make it bigger, so it would be less likely to fit without shaving off some of the fins. The traxxas/castle motor seemed to fit fine, but I couldn't go down lower than 18T I don't think or it would hit the chassis near the end of the motor. I can go bigger though. Will see how the 19T does, but math would suggest I need to go to 21T... then again, the 4074 may have the torque to make it go faster anyway than the 3665 could with the gearing it had.
I think I need a new power system for my Monster Slash, the last time I was out the motor was a bit toasty I had a reading of 160* after 1 pack. Esc was only at like 104 or so.

Wanted to try something different so I changed out the fluid in all 3 diffs of the infraction. I started with the front, finished that up, buttoned it up and on to the rear.

As I was working on the rear, I realized that I forgot to put grease on the front ring gear... ??‍♂️

So after I finished the rear, I had to open the front back up... I’ll just say it’s a lot more work than the other 6s rigs, with all the bumpers and diffusers. ?

All good now tho, finishing up the center now and I’m done, on to testing!

Last edited:
I think I need a new power system for my Monster Slash, the last time I was out the motor was a bit toasty I had a reading of 160* after 1 pack. Esc was only at like 104 or so.

You should put a BIG boy in there and make the little boys cry in here :ROFLMAO: You hit the head exactly too BTW! Large systems in smaller trucks don't thermal quite as easy (if any at all) have plenty of power on reserve and you can actually bash a whole pack or 5 with nothing to worry about except landing wrong like I recently seen in a vid.

You should put a BIG boy in there and make the little boys cry in here :ROFLMAO: You hit the head exactly too BTW! Large systems in smaller trucks don't thermal quite as easy (if any at all) have plenty of power on reserve and you can actually bash a whole pack or 5 with nothing to worry about except landing wrong like I recently seen in a vid.
I'm running a Max10 SCT and a 3100kv 3665 motor already. I'm thinking of sticking a MM2 and a 4068 2650 motor in it.

ARRRRGH!!

Spent most of the day getting this PC migrated to a newer version of the Operating System I run. The previous one wasn't a "Long Term Support" version, and since I missed the window to upgrade it to this version, I stopped getting security updates.

Anywhoo....slowly getting PC service restored here.

I got the grub screw out of the input cup... now if I could get the stupid cup and gear out so I can install into my new hot racing gear box, that’d be great.

I got the grub screw out of the input cup... now if I could get the stupid cup and gear out so I can install into my new hot racing gear box, that’d be great.
Smack the pinion thru the cup with a hammer and punch, it should pop out into the case.

You know, I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that. Thanks!
No problem, that’s what this place is all about! ?

I'm running a Max10 SCT and a 3100kv 3665 motor already. I'm thinking of sticking a MM2 and a 4068 2650 motor in it.
Well, the 2200kv 4074 traxxas/castle motor with the blx185 seems to work well in my slampede 4x4. I ran a couple packs through it, had some odd issues, will start another thread for that to see if anyone else has had the issue. When it worked, it went like stink!
2020-0526-Stampede-Traxxas-Castle-2200kv-4074-Installed-19TPinion.jpg

It was hot out, 85F, super humid and the grass at the park was up to the top of the shock towers... so basically the worse possible scenario. Motor got to 155F, esc got to 137F. No fan on the motor. I wasn't being nice to it. Lots of WOT rips. The first pack lasted 23 minutes, 5200mah 45C hobbystar 3S. I changed it out with a 7400mah SMC 3S and continued to pound on the thing. Spent a good 10 minutes going as fast as I could around a decorative circle thing made of brick, it had just rained, so it was drifting all over the place. Mosquito's came out and I had had enough, so I walked it back home. It was at 20 minutes on that pack when I picked it up to carry inside.

I don't think I will need to gear it any higher... so the $14 I spent on pinions is likely a waste.

Anyway, I tried putting my old hobbywing 50mm cooler/fan on it I had in my outcast, but the thing is too big and hits the chassis or blocks the motor mount bolt so I can't tighten it down. I may hack the crap out of it with a dremel as I likely won't use it for anything else anyway.

I put some more RTV on the back side of the wires coming out of the motor as the insulation at the motor is nonexistent, only the rubber bung the wires go through keeps them separated.

I also made a titanium skid for it on the rear as I split open the bottom of the rear bulkhead skid when the rear caught a brick sticking up 3/4". While replacing the rear skid, I increased my center diff to 500K.
2020-0526-Stampede-titaniumRearSkid.jpg

If it's nice out today, I'll take it out again maybe... kind of screwed up my sleep schedule for today... so may end up on the couch most of "today" as it's my furlough day.

Well, the 2200kv 4074 traxxas/castle motor with the blx185 seems to work well in my slampede 4x4. I ran a couple packs through it, had some odd issues, will start another thread for that to see if anyone else has had the issue. When it worked, it went like stink!
2020-0526-Stampede-Traxxas-Castle-2200kv-4074-Installed-19TPinion.jpg

It was hot out, 85F, super humid and the grass at the park was up to the top of the shock towers... so basically the worse possible scenario. Motor got to 155F, esc got to 137F. No fan on the motor. I wasn't being nice to it. Lots of WOT rips. The first pack lasted 23 minutes, 5200mah 45C hobbystar 3S. I changed it out with a 7400mah SMC 3S and continued to pound on the thing. Spent a good 10 minutes going as fast as I could around a decorative circle thing made of brick, it had just rained, so it was drifting all over the place. Mosquito's came out and I had had enough, so I walked it back home. It was at 20 minutes on that pack when I picked it up to carry inside.

I don't think I will need to gear it any higher... so the $14 I spent on pinions is likely a waste.

Anyway, I tried putting my old hobbywing 50mm cooler/fan on it I had in my outcast, but the thing is too big and hits the chassis or blocks the motor mount bolt so I can't tighten it down. I may hack the crap out of it with a dremel as I likely won't use it for anything else anyway.

I put some more RTV on the back side of the wires coming out of the motor as the insulation at the motor is nonexistent, only the rubber bung the wires go through keeps them separated.

I also made a titanium skid for it on the rear as I split open the bottom of the rear bulkhead skid when the rear caught a brick sticking up 3/4". While replacing the rear skid, I increased my center diff to 500K.
2020-0526-Stampede-titaniumRearSkid.jpg

If it's nice out today, I'll take it out again maybe... kind of screwed up my sleep schedule for today... so may end up on the couch most of "today" as it's my furlough day.
I don't want to use a rtr esc and the MM2 is cheaper than a Max8, the Mamba X and the Mamba Monster X.
Don't run 6s. Gear it up a bit and run 4s.
I just changed out a bunch of stuff so I could run my 3s batteries in it though ?

Just got done installing my yeah racing fan system on my new motor. Took a minute getting everything fitting well with each other but I think I got it situated pretty good. Also, this fan came with risers to put under the fan to raise it up. You could use those or just fasten it right to the heat sink. I opted to fasten it directly to the heat sink.. What do you guys do? the way I was thinking about it, it seemed to make more sense to put it right on the motor because it'll get better suction? Please let me know if my logic is flawed ??
15906213341782647797319634247008.jpg
1590621364507245757563539050286.jpg

Back