What did you work on today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard that... I put those trenchers on 4.3’s... oh man.. workout...

no doubt... but they sure are puuuuurty

461B3CF6-8210-4D68-908E-0E111F84DC8A.jpeg

8C74EB19-3FE0-4637-885B-C36C9CC60685.jpeg

Put two sets of beadlock wheels together .... yeah, I hate little screws with a passion now.
Yeah, speaking of little screws....
20210407_220937.jpg

20210407_220943.jpg

The Taco Truk lives! Swapping out the chassis rails ended up causing many more cusswords than expected (tiny screws suck bigly), but it runs again, and cheats it's way up lines that make other mini's tremble. 355g of mayhem, very slow moving mayhem. 😆

So, have ya ever mucked up simple maintenance so bad that you ended up with an extra wire?
View attachment 138103
I had to take my smoker apart to clean out the cement in the auger tube (left it uncovered in last week's blizzard & filled the hopper with snow). When I put it back together, this yellow wire with green stripe fell out the bottom. Here's the frustrating part. I can't tell what I broke. Everything works fine! My son said it would likely burst into flames. I said it was supposed to. We don't know what to expect now...
Maybe an earth ground tying pieces together so if it shorts out you don't get electrocuted by touching the big metal thing anywhere.

Ok finally got the K6s wing mount replaced with the new RPM mount. Had a bad bearing in the center diff so got the switched out as well, and oh figured what the hell the TP 4070 seems to function ok still so slapped it in the K6s if anything I'll kill it on my terms. Just had to tap the back plate back into place so the bearing is straight again, seems to run fine going to run it for a bash here in a bit and see if it holds up🤷 and also got the Spektrum 2050 back in the Typhon 👍
IMG_20210408_113719891.jpg
IMG_20210408_110413861.jpg
IMG_20210408_113142974.jpg
IMG_20210408_104216836.jpg

Broken fan on the Castle MMX8S. Couldn't find a direct replacement anywhere locally. Castle uses a proprietary plug on some of their fans so I had to do some splicing. 40 x 40 original size but I have a bunch of 30 x 30 high power ones lying around. Made a plate to cover the top of the esc with a giant hole in the center. Attached it then attached my 30 x 30 on top. Spliced the Castle connector and done. Notice no screws on the plate on the right side. Capacitors under there. Gotta cut down a couple of screws for that side. Tested and works great. I'll be hunting for the right fan, but for now, this is how it has to be.
20210409_071500.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same issue, no stock of castle fans anywhere locally 😩 so, I've just carried on with a castle fan with missing blades 🤣
I was actually able to order some right from Castle today. Part number is 011-0151-00. Still gonna run my set up until I get the new one.
https://www.castlecreations.com/en/esc-cooling-fan-mamba-monster-x-8s-011-0151-00
My Castle fan stops randomly 🤷‍♂️
Depending on the model, my understanding is they are designed that way to save power. Not sure which models it applies to, but it's definitely a thing.

Broken fan on the Castle MMX8S. Couldn't find a direct replacement anywhere locally. Castle uses a proprietary plug on some of their fans so I had to do some splicing. 40 x 40 original size but I have a bunch of 30 x 30 high power ones lying around. Made a plate to cover the top of the esc with a giant hole in the center. Attached it then attached my 30 x 30 on top. Spliced the Castle connector and done. Notice no screws on the plate on the right side. Capacitors under there. Gotta cut down a couple of screws for that side. Tested and works great. I'll be hunting for the right fan, but for now, this is how it has to be.View attachment 138430

I had the same issue, no stock of castle fans anywhere locally 😩 so, I've just carried on with a castle fan with missing blades 🤣
I just put a standard connector on the ESC so I could use normal 40mm fans.
My Castle fan stops randomly 🤷‍♂️
The MMX8S and XLX2 only turn their fans on when needed.

rebuilding diffs for the bigrock. Going with metal crowns inputs and new composite case! Adding super basher front bumper to the notorious. Upgraded the cvds on my senton so it'll stop pulling my ujoints apart. So much POWA! LOL

MMX does the same. I put a 30mm alloy fan on mine in my savage and ran it to a splitter that goes to a motor fan I put on it. I know they do that for power/need only, but I like to look at my truck while bashing and instantly know my fan is good without having to power cycle it. If I see a fan stop, I stop... well, I do now. lol!

Replaced the bearings in my new Rocket 4092 with some TRB hybrid's. While doing that, I noticed I had a good ding/nick in the chassis from where the one of the rear motor cap screw heads hit it:
2021-0409-outcast-4092-ChassisImpactDent.jpg

Since the motor floats about 3mm above the chassis, I put a thin layer of rubber under the entire motor and used VHB to adhere it to the chassis:
2021-0409-outcast-4092-ChassisProtectCushion.jpg

Not sure if it will help, but I didn't want to squirt a bunch of silicone in there like KT does. The outer shell of the heat sink bottom touches it and the motor can sits about .5mm above it now, so at least it will have some cushion the next time it bends enough. Guessing the HR mount is flexing.

Also changed the pinion from 18 to 19.

While spinning the wheels to check the mesh, I noticed my rear motor side dog bone had a nasty bend in it, so I took that out and straightened it as well.

Will likely rain all weekend, but at leas they will sit on the shelf in working order.

I was actually able to order some right from Castle today. Part number is 011-0151-00. Still gonna run my set up until I get the new one.
https://www.castlecreations.com/en/esc-cooling-fan-mamba-monster-x-8s-011-0151-00

Depending on the model, my understanding is they are designed that way to save power. Not sure which models it applies to, but it's definitely a thing.
I just put a standard connector on the ESC so I could use normal 40mm fans.

I know the MMX does but the fan on the MM2 plugs into the receiver.
View attachment 138523
Lowered it some more, stole some batteries from @ABabyEater, and posted up some video. So addictive!

What wheels are those? And I need to get me 3 sets of Mudslingers, some for my SCX24, some for my SCX10-II and some for my Summit.

Back