What do you do for a living?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

Bash Break Repeat!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Outcast 6s
Seeing where some of you live in photo's, videos and the RC's that you have, things you build and whatnot had me a bit curious what you all do for a living.

I have a fairly boring job. Been working for the same company since college, 23 years, which is in the trade show registration/sales lead retrieval business. I have had 7 or 8 different positions since I started, each was growth in one way or another. My first was a traveling technician. I'd fly to trade shows, setup computer networks for people to register/pay for/attend the show, train typists to key the forms and then maintain/monitor the network for a week or so. The network would range from 3-4 terminals to over 100 and could be spread to 1-10 locations in any given city. I traveled all over the US the first 2-3 years and was on the road around 250 days a year. During the off time when I wasn't traveling, I'd repair printers, terminals credit card embossing machines and whatever else that was used at a show.

Then I went in house and was part of the database setup team. I'm now in software development QA. More or less the gate keeper for what gets released out for our clients.

I picked up RC 20 years or so ago, shortly after I stopped traveling as I stopped working on hardware at work. So I wanted something to do with my hands instead of just typing on a keyboard all day.

I'm a professional slacker :D

Seriously though, I worked from the time I was 15 to 42 doing all kinds of stuff from lifeguarding, public relations for a chiropractors office, pre-flight technician for a large graphic design firm (no, that has nothing to do with planes), and in-store tech for example. Been on medical disability for the past four years for some health issues I'm pretty much stuck with for life now, but I'd much rather still be working. I needed something fun to do so and to keep me occupied so I picked up an rc after not being in the hobby for 25 years for my bday last year. Went to Hillside raceway track on a practice day just to be able to do some jumps and have some fun in the dirt and ended up meeting a great group of people and joined the sportsman class the next race day and have been hooked on that aspect of the hobby since.
RC stuff is really the only thing I get to spend money on that's "for me." Everything else goes straight to doctors and medical bills at this point, :LOL: They always say "everyone needs a hobby" and this is it for me.

I’m an independent IT / Security consultant. My focus is SMB IT support and commercial IP surveillance systems. I also do some commercial audio video work, but it’s a small part of my business.

I make sure your poop goes down the drain properly and safely!... Plumbing for me. RC's are my mental outlet from work, life and some serious stress with my kid for the last two years.
Sounds like a sh!tty job ??‍♂️

I'm a father of 4, been married 25 years this year. Started in IT back in 1990/91. A range of different roles inc apps development, infrastructure, networking, project management, change management. Been now working in the Healthcare IT sector for 24 years now, a bunch of different rolls including CIO in different hospitals in Queensland as well as over the ditch in New Zealand. Then took senior roles with large multi-nationals like CSC/DXC before heading out on my own a couple of years back. Got in to RC a few years back and bought my first Arrma at the end of last year. Other hobbies include shooting, fishing, camping, woodworking.

I now run my own Management Consulting business that sadly is looking like it's got me travelling almost as much as I was back when I ran with the big boys ?

I’m a machine tool design engineer. 6-Axis EDM, 5-Axis Waterjet, 5-Axis Vision Inspection. Starting to get my feet wet in robotics.

I got into Hobby grade RC once I was able to afford it. I loved RC growing up but my parents didn’t have the money to buy quality RC’s and my dad wasn’t into it. I got into it steadily about 7 years ago but didn’t go all out until I found Arrma. Arrma pretty much rocked my world lol.

RC is a way for me to tinker. I live in an apartment with no garage...I’ve always had a garage growing up and would work in it with my dad either wrenching on cars or building different things for the house or land. It allows me to get my tinkering fix inside my apartment and I really enjoy the mechanical systems of the different RC’s and trying to understand some of the design decisions based on what I know from manufacturing.

I love my job, it provides real world design engineering experience across multiple areas under the machine tool umbrella but I would love to work for Arrma. I really appreciate what Arrma has achieved so far and I admire them as a company and their responsiveness to their customer, the changes they make year after year are difficult to implement at the rate they do. I’d imagine it’s a pretty tight ship in that respect.

Last edited:
Im currently a vinyl sign maker/vehicle wrapper but im going to be going into a building inspector program this summer. Been doing signs for the last 5 years, time for a change. Just got back into rc last month with a v4 kraton. Just talked my bro in law into a 2018 orange outcast last week. Cool topic, its always fun to see what you guys do

I do furniture repair.
PtnlHTw.jpg
YB3uvjf.jpg
kVVjW2g.jpg
Sn3McGG.jpg
SKq81oB.jpg
qx2s0tq.jpg

I used to work construction mostly until a broken back forced me to stop at the ripe old age of 37. Worked a few manufacturing jobs after that until I got sick a couple years ago. Now I do what I can for a little cash, mess with rc cars and smoke myself stupid.

I am in the natural gas compression repair industry. I have been ther about 9 years started as a temp and worked my way up the ladder to high ups asking my opinion to see if we can fix something’s. Very tedious work dealing with tens of thousands of an inch and some parts no room for a mistake. Then I have a lawn mowing business when I am not working their keeps me busy. My dad go me in to rcs when I was about 6 and been in 15 years and counting Arrma,axial,red cat, and sorry Traxxas

Last edited:
Air Force vehicle mechanic by trade...but have progressed or better yet, regressed into sitting behind a desk with the big whigs.

Recently got addicted to the rc thing again. Got a few redcats, an outcast v3, and then got a kraton v4 yesterday. Only running the kraton on 4s for my 6 year old to drive it...only in big fields though!

Nothing too exciting.

I own a chain of brick and mortar storefronts on the east coast selling bicketybams high end line of adult toys. The 50cc 2stroke powered Bam-HaMMer3000™ has been our most profitable product so far this quarter.

I own a chain of brick and mortar storefronts on the east coast selling bicketybams high end line of adult toys. The 50cc 2stroke powered Bam-HaMMer3000™ has been our most profitable product so far this quarter.
Better be an outdoor toy! Sounds dangerous in an enclosed environment...

I've been an industrial mechanic/ electrician for the last few years. I basically fix machines, wiring (up to 640v 3 phase), program VFDs, do installs and tell the operators how stupid they are. I work 12 hour days but only 4 days a week and 5 minutes from my house.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back