What do you guys do with your old wheels with destroyed tires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut the tire off and turn them in ice wheels 🐄
1632159624962.png

For the Outcast/Notorious?
Yeah
If anyone wants 3 slightly worn Copperhead 2's, a blown out Copperhead 2, and one blown out Backflip LP they are welcome to them for the price of shipping. I don't expect to go back to Copperhead 2's, if I want more air control I'd run 6S backflips. Otherwise LP's are superior in everyway.
I don't understand how lps are superior i have them didnt try them on my 6s because they look punny

Yeah

I don't understand how lps are superior i have them didnt try them on my 6s because they look punny

They don't balloon hardly at all, come tire vented, and are tough as nails. Less rotating mass meaning less heat and they increase control and overall make the rig more nimble. I also think they are very visually appealing. Some people say they run better foams than the 6S BF and Copperheads too.

Only thing they lack is some air control due to the lack of rotating mass, but that's all personal preference and what you use the rig for.

I use to throw them all away, but last couple years be holding onto them for possible backup.

Yeah

Its Not about the size. They seem to work for so many myself included.
But I could see wanting the 6s BF, being taller. Or a much bigger tire. Depends where and how you bash?:unsure:
I can gear up with the Lp's no issue. From a performance standpoint.

I boil them to get the tires off and then buy new foams and tires to glue on. Am I the only one that does this lol?

I would, but the going rate for my free time is roughly $50/hr. So if it costs less than $50 to buy new wheels and save an hour worth of free time, I'll choose option A. Back in my younger days, I had less cash and more time. Now, the shoe is on the other foot. Time is what's in short supply.

It's honestly not all that worth it if you have a lot of tires to take off. It's a decent amount of work.

Does boiling them loosen the glue?

Yea I think it helps to boil them. Some tires come off pretty good but some do not. That requires a lot of cutting, scraping and filing to get the rubber off.

I just did two sets of wheels. Stock V2 Typhon wheels and some AKA's. They are all clean and ready for some new Prolines :)

I boil them to get the tires off and then buy new foams and tires to glue on. Am I the only one that does this lol?

View attachment 170359
Well that's the problem barely anyone sells unmounted tires anymore other than truggy or buggy. Sure I can get some Backflip LPs but I want normal Backflips or some Badlands 3.8s.

Well that's the problem barely anyone sells unmounted tires anymore other than truggy or buggy. Sure I can get some Backflip LPs but I want normal Backflips or some Badlands 3.8s.

Ah yea I guess that can be a problem. I have a buggy so I have a few options.

I would, but the going rate for my free time is roughly $50/hr. So if it costs less than $50 to buy new wheels and save an hour worth of free time, I'll choose option A. Back in my younger days, I had less cash and more time. Now, the shoe is on the other foot. Time is what's in short supply.
I couldn't have said it best.
I fly the same way. At some point $$$ and time invested in acetone bath or Boiling or even Baking in the oven, then still cleaning left over CA and all is counterproductive and impractical for me. Just buy a new set. There are exceptions to this. Like a brand new tire that went south immediately. Crap happens like that. I may give it once over if I can salvage it. But at some point we end up with bins full of bricked wheels/tires that can be mixed and matched if disassembled Some will say it is worth the effort. I usually buy 6 or 8 of a wheel/tire that I know I like to use. I always have matching spares out in the field, so I can keep rolling.
I don't like to be a slave to fixing them. Stuck because I only have 3 shoes and cant get out there.

View attachment 170359
I have been working on removing and gluing a single set of tires since... April 2021 and finally glued them last night! It was on a set of brand new trenchers that i stripped out the non-removable hex. I left them suspended above acetone and reused the foam and tire. It was my first time gluing and it was actually fun just watching tv last night after several drinks and glued them up. Its a time killer and wouldnt waste my time salvaging a set of (stock) wheels just because the tires are worn. If i do that on some prolines id take the time.

I always keep the first set of factory wheels once they're worn to use as stands, and some as obstacles for my SCX24. I've cut up a few soft unbelted ones to use the rubber and foams as shims (work great under battery trays and motors to keep debris from getting lodged or wrap-around heatsinks from moving). The rest get the rubber separated from the wheel and the wheel goes in the recycling bin.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back