What do you guys use for GPS/Camera?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerd

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Reaction score
I have wanted to buy something so I can see my top speeds on my cars. Being new to the hobby don't know whats the best out there. I don't need like top of line I'm not breaking any records just think It would be cool. So I can tell my coworkers how fast it is actually going in the parking lot.

Also what camera do you guys use to record, I have noticed people putting something on their hat? I would like to find something a little more affordable than a go pro.

Thanks!

Yep either get the GSM020 or try to find a used Garmin unit. The other GPS units made for RC are outdated and won’t be accurate.

Using GSM-015, pain in the :bear:. It works and is ok for immediate satisfaction but I wouldn't recommend it. Battery sucks and is always empty when you need it.

GoPro is what you see on everyone's head. Can get pricey, I'd use a GoPro8 or higher for it's build in stabilization. GoPro9 has horizon leveling which is what you want as well or you do all that in postprocessing. If you get those you need to learn some basic to advanced video editing.

For the occasional run for video. Do not use your cellphone for speed and strap it to your rig, guaranteed crash, it's Karma.

I use an old garmin GPS that tracks max speed. For camera, I use a gopro hero 5, hero session 5 and Runcam v2 for onboard. I quit using the session for onboard, the run cam has a lower profile and can fit in between a roof and hood a bit better.

Thinking about getting a hero7 black, they are pretty cheap now ($250). When I got my 5, it was $300 (April 2018). With the 7 black, I could run 1080p@240fps vs 120fps to make the slow mo better when editing.

I don't use the app or stabilization as it's on my chest and I don't move much when jumping and whatnot. I'd want it if I used it as an onboard, but for an onboard cam, I want something that stays attached when doing a 20 foot launch repeatedly. I have yet to find a gopro mount that can stand up to one jump, let alone an entire bash session. The best I got with the session was making a sled and strapping it down with a T2T brace on my stampede. But it was so tall that it touched the roof and any time I crashed, it was basically landing on the camera...

The runcam v2 isn't a ton better, but at least I get the entire camera above the hood. With the session, more than 1/3 of the view was below the hood and it was still touching the roof.
2021-0408-stampede-PureTechBatteryStrap-side-low-body.jpg

I should have moved it back more... but I was tired and it was late by the time I got that far...

I use a few different things, everything has a camera now. It's good use for my iphone 4, which isn't supported by Verizon anymore. I have an older Nikon and a new Akaso Brave 7 LE. All this with some other stuff is in a custom case.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/case-for-the-camera-gear.58838/

Between the three of them I can usally get something decent. You can see the difference in the cameras but it works for me. I'm still working on my camera and editing skills.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back