Kraton What do you use to clean diff/gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brake parts cleaner works great, and it is cheaper than WD40. If you really wanted to get it clean you could get an ultrasonic cleaner and clean them in that.

I used brake cleaner from Autozone 2x for $5 ..lol
This^^^

When I clean bearings, I will press them onto the end of a pencil, and pour it into a small Gatorade bottle, so all the cleaner gets captured. Then I use this for washing diff parts (and other stuff). Drop in the internals, cap it, and swish it around for a few minutes. Pour thru a strainer (capturing the cleaner in another bottle for reuse).

Maybe I'll try naptha next, though.

Ordered this! Shimming diffs this weekend.

Good idea Jerry.

Attachments

• IMG_0191.PNG
    IMG_0191.PNG
    263.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0190.PNG
    IMG_0190.PNG
    112 KB · Views: 106
How often it is recommended to open up the 3 diffs and clean them? It seems like a "big job" to me that can take some time. How do you know then need to be cleaned?

The V1 manual has this maintenance chart. I think the diffs fall under "rear axle".

And I will say, getting the diffs out is a MUCH easier job in our Arrmas vs a lot of other cars. Loosen 4 set screw, pull two pins, remove 4 screws, and the diff is out.

Attachments

• snap0042.jpg
    snap0042.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 128
I never clean the inside as long as no grit is inside. If I have to change something....I just change it, top off the fluid and slap it all back together. If I did need to clean them...I just hit them with simple green non diluted and maybe let them soak in a tray. The outside crown and pinion.....I just hit it with Simple Green, a tooth brush and a rag. Wipe it all off...do my thing, add more fresh grease and slap it all back together.

How often it is recommended to open up the 3 diffs and clean them? It seems like a "big job" to me that can take some time. How do you know then need to be cleaned?
It is a big job. Why bother cleaning inside them ? If everything is cool mechanically....no need to clean inside the diffs. In the winter.....I will just break down an RC if I think it needs attention. If stuff feels loose or gritty...Then I'll go looking to do overhauls. Replace what's worn or busted etc. If you don't have a down period....just make one up. For me...it's just over the winter if I feel up to it. If the part seems cool....I just let it be. My diffs held up decent on the Kraton but I did shim them on when it was new.

Last edited:
Should have clarified. Clean to change to new diff oil weights. Agree; don't want to clean if don't have to.

Thx

Last edited:
When you're cleaning gears with degreaser/contact cleaner/brake cleaner, it's best to remove the o-rings. Just a heads up from personal experience ? they can absorb and expand from these solvents and may have to replace them because of it

Last edited:
For the pinion and spur I use brake cleaner, because I lube those with normal lithium bearing grease, which simply dissolves in brake cleaner. The insides I clean with very thin spray silicone and a toothbrush. You can never really get silicone off of a surface, but diluting it to wash the dirty oil away works very well. And since it's silicone you're cleaning with, you won't have any contaminant once you refill the diff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back