What does everything think of the new Boost accessory pack to turn the mega into a 4x4.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just learned the other day that there were 4 chassis, I thought there were only 3 and the Outcast used the same chassis as the Senton/Typhon/BRCC, if it makes you feel better.
Tons… I feel tons better 🤪

Sadly Traxxas is the best option for a 1/10 2wd vehicle, but man are they fun to drive, I drove my Rustler more than any of my other cars yesterday.

The Rustler is one of the most underrated RC cars ever made, I'm seriously thinking about getting a Nitro Rustler.

The Rustler is one of the most underrated RC cars ever made, I'm seriously thinking about getting a Nitro Rustler.

I've been eyeballing one on Facebook marketplace.

Normally Jenny’s never gets Mega cars.
You know now that I think about it the only brushed car I have seen on there is the Traxxas Bigfoot everything else is brushless.

I'm seeing "now shipping" on the Boost pages. Red Vorteks on Jenny's soon?
Wouldn't be easier and cheaper to buy a clear body and lay red on it?

Cheaper, eh, maybe. Depends on the price if Jenny's decides to stock it. Also, getting a good, deep, metallic candy red like on the O8S is at least a few different cans of paint, and it'll never be as durable as factory paint. Easier? Definitely not.

I've been eyeballing one on Facebook marketplace.
Too bad I sold one in January. I put a new motor in it and never broke it in. Also put new wheels and a candy green body.

It was part of my Traxxas sell off. Also sold 3 brushless 2wd Rustlers, 3 2wd brushless Stampedes, a 2wd Slash, 2wd Bandit, and a 4 tec 2.0.

The clear body is only 35 bucks or so but The plastics kit cost another $22 or so.

5B57DB2A-ECFA-46DB-B118-57BBDD16B92B.png

4690A8AF-3594-4E90-BBB4-503F67FCC1DB.png

The clear body is only 35 bucks or so but The plastics kit cost another $22 or so.
True the body wing and body protectors are $22. Which is too much IMO.

I hate the rear wing on the vorteks. Whenever you flip the car or land on the rear it completely jacks up the back of the body.

View attachment 240443

View attachment 240444

Why are Horizon Hobby brand bodies so expensive? A stock 1/10th scale body should not cost $35.00. It could be worse you could have an Ecx Ruckus https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/1-10-clear-body-2wd-ruckus/ECX330001.html
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/1-10-painted-body-orange-2wd-ruckus/ECX230039.html the body costs 1/3 the price of a new truck......................
Too bad I sold one in January. I put a new motor in it and never broke it in. Also put new wheels and a candy green body.

It was part of my Traxxas sell off. Also sold 3 brushless 2wd Rustlers, 3 2wd brushless Stampedes, a 2wd Slash, 2wd Bandit, and a 4 tec 2.0.
How did I miss that? I kind of want a Bandit so I can retire my RC10B2.

In all seriousness though, the whole price point / beginner thing doesn't really make much sense. It's $199.99 but that doesn't include a battery and a charger. The newbie isn't going to have either so you're looking at the $240 kit. So in reality the difference between the 4x2 and 4x4 mega is $30.

The 4x2 also comes with a 2-in-1 Receiver/ESC which makes the upgrade path somewhat dubious because now you are going to need a new receiver in addition to a new ESC. At least with the 4x4 it comes with the SLR300 receiver so you can keep that while plugging in a brushless motor capable ESC.

I get that this isn't for "the forum folks" but it just seems the actual difference between a RTR 4x2 and RTR 4x4 mega isn't that much...

Thank you for this response. I was debating between the Boost and the Mega for my son, who is ready for his first 'hobby grade' rig, and decided to go with the Mega for this exact reason: $30 more for the 4x4 seemed like a no brainer. I couldn't really see any advantage to the Boost kit other than the different ESC (which you noted has some downside), and the smart charger, which may not be that incrementally valuable with the charger / battery combo included with the Boost.

While I appreciate the POV of the folks who have said 'just buy the 3s', I didn't want to drop 50% more on that just yet as I'm not sure where my son will go with the hobby, and he's only 9 so I worried that a 50 mph rig might be too much for him at this point.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back