What does everything think of the new Boost accessory pack to turn the mega into a 4x4.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Common Arrma, make an upgrade kit for the Voltage! Make it a decent 2wd truck!
Much agreed. I love my voltage and how it drives on 3s…but the constant drivetrain issues ruin the fun and it’s not near as fun on 2s.

Much agreed. I love my voltage and how it drives on 3s…but the constant drivetrain issues ruin the fun and it’s not near as fun on 2s.
Was just thinking the same thing, a reliable 2WD Arrma that shares the same platform with the 4WD, maybe it wont blow that brushed motor so fast either with less strain on the drive train and be more fun for beginners.

I'm looking at this -the same as putting big wheels&tires on a buggy and calling it a New Monster Truck.
Come on... Such a Very Lazy and Cheap way of creating a product to fit a market niche.

If that's how they want to do things then Why don't they just remove all the front, center, rear diffs and driveshafts out of the Felony/Infraction/Limitless and replace it with a fixed trans ,than call it a Drag Chassis.

Then offer a TraXion Kit ** to make it 6S 4WD capable.

** NOTE - I have Copyright on this name.

Then offer a TraXion Kit ** to make it 6S 4WD capable.

** NOTE - I have Copyright on this name.

Hate to break it to you mate, but Traxxas already has a copyright on the letter X. Expect to be hearing from their legal counsel shortly.

I did this exact same thing to my hybrid LWB build, and it wasn't the best to drive, so, hopefully, they figured it out, because i sure couldn't.

Hate to break it to you mate, but Traxxas already has a copyright on the letter X. Expect to be hearing from their legal counsel shortly.

Drats!

I'm looking at this -the same as putting big wheels&tires on a buggy and calling it a New Monster Truck.
That's... literally the entire 3S line, the entire 6S line, the entire 8S line, and all the 6S road cars

Boss: “What are most of our customers asking for?”

Marketing Insight Intern: “From our extensive research, people want to convert their brushed mega vehicles into brushless. We should release a kit that allows them to do that.”

Boss: “Sorry, I can’t hear you at the other end of the conference table. Let’s play a team building game of telephone to pass your information up to me.”

…..

Boss: “Excellent! I concur. Let’s remove half the drivetrain from our cheapest vehicles and then sell an upgrade kit to our least mechanically inclined users. We’ll be rich!”

This is the funniest thing I’ve read on this forum! 🤣🤣🤣

Boss: “What are most of our customers asking for?”

Marketing Insight Intern: “From our extensive research, people want to convert their brushed mega vehicles into brushless. We should release a kit that allows them to do that.”

Boss: “Sorry, I can’t hear you at the other end of the conference table. Let’s play a team building game of telephone to pass your information up to me.”

…..

Boss: “Excellent! I concur. Let’s remove half the drivetrain from our cheapest vehicles and then sell an upgrade kit to our least mechanically inclined users. We’ll be rich!”
nailed it

Ironically, with this release they are selling a direct upgrade kit for the mega 4x4 trucks to make them brushless.
Smart move: this gets Arrma additional cash flow after the initial sale and helps to preclude third-party vendors from making a profit through the sale of parts for an upgrade. Newer folks would find this more appealing because they won't have to figure out what to buy to make the upgrade.

Ironically, with this release they are selling a direct upgrade kit for the mega 4x4 trucks to make them brushless.

Uh huh. Sure…wonder where they got that idea from.

9DD6DE83-CA09-44D2-BB58-3BFCE5853589.jpeg

😜

I had to double check my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st - but at least they aren't completely nutty with the pricing. You can tell they tried to meet a price point on this one. $199.99 without a battery and charger, $239.99 with a battery and charger and $39.99 for the upgrade kit. A Granite 4x4 retails for $269.99.

Seems to be a lot of work and extra SKUs/inventory to keep track of for a very niche market segment (ultra economy).
Just a marketting gimmeck. And 2WD conversion from 4x4's make no sense at all. Many have even done this to their 4x4 rigs already. These chassis were designed around a 4-wheel drive train.
HH is just trying to make it a thing. Boost sounds stupid. Just get a 3s 4x4 out the gate. Buy cheap Mega out the gate , end you up spending more for what you really wanted all along., a 3s 4x4. Mega's are stupid slow. Unfortunately looking at the Mega box art and low price, people get fooled.
:cool:

I love them! I will never buy one, but 2wd RCs that are upgradable to 4wd would make this hobby even cheaper to get into.

I've always had to explain to beginners that even though 2wd is cheaper, 4wd is worth the extra cost. With these, you can get a 2wd, and upgrade later without needing go buy an entire new RC!

Arrma we didn't ask for this! Why? Don't start acting like Traxxass!. The Felony is overdue for a upgrade. The 3s platform is getting messing. There are 3 versions of the Granite and Senton, 2 Vortex and Typhon, but one Big Rock. 11 vehicles from this line! SMH!

Wow! Make that 14! I forgot about the Vendetta and the Mega and 3s Infraction.

Last edited:
They're at a great price point for anyone that's just starting out with hobby grade or simply wants something better than what you find at most retailers.

Arrma we didn't ask for this! Why? Don't start acting like Traxxass!. The Felony is overdue for a upgrade. The 3s platform is getting messing. There are 3 versions of the Granite and Senton, 2 Vortex and Typhon, but one Big Rock. 11 vehicles from this line! SMH!
You are right! Established hobbyists didn't ask for the Boost model! Luckily enough, these weren't developed and marketed to established hobbyists! These are quite clearly made to help people get into the hobby, and they seem to be setup extremely well to do so. They are an inexpensive rig, without being too fast, while providing an avenue of upgrade that will help their owner learn how to wrench on their car without leaving them to get overwhelmed by the sea of aftermarket options available.

I love a 2WD rig, personally. Why do folks think these won't fare well as 2WD?
1 - Over the years, loads of people have tried to just remove half the driveline of a lot of different 4wd trucks, the resulting truck never runs as good as a purpose designed 2wd truck or the 4wd that it used to be...

And 2 - Over the years, lots of people here on this forum, including me, have tried to just remove half the driveline of Arrma 4x4 trucks, the resulting truck never runs as good as a proper designed 2wd truck or the 4wd that it used to be...
Traxxas has had the slash 2wd and bandit 2wd in there lineup for years,must be a market for 2wdz
Big props to arrma for coming out with new options so often.....

Sometime 2WD is just where its at. :)
yes, a proper 2wd truck is a lot of fun. But removing half the driveline of a 4wd truck does not make a truck that drives like a purpose designed 2wd truck.

This whole release stinks of a New-Grad MBA trying to make their first "Win" in a business they have no business running.

You are right! Established hobbyists didn't ask for the Boost model! Luckily enough, these weren't developed and marketed to established hobbyists! These are quite clearly made to help people get into the hobby, and they seem to be setup extremely well to do so. They are an inexpensive rig, without being too fast, while providing an avenue of upgrade that will help their owner learn how to wrench on their car without leaving them to get overwhelmed by the sea of aftermarket options available.

In all seriousness though, the whole price point / beginner thing doesn't really make much sense. It's $199.99 but that doesn't include a battery and a charger. The newbie isn't going to have either so you're looking at the $240 kit. So in reality the difference between the 4x2 and 4x4 mega is $30.

The 4x2 also comes with a 2-in-1 Receiver/ESC which makes the upgrade path somewhat dubious because now you are going to need a new receiver in addition to a new ESC. At least with the 4x4 it comes with the SLR300 receiver so you can keep that while plugging in a brushless motor capable ESC.

I get that this isn't for "the forum folks" but it just seems the actual difference between a RTR 4x2 and RTR 4x4 mega isn't that much...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back