Kraton What does shimming the diff do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody break down the pros and cons just bought a new kraton 6s blx v5 is it necessary to do this or only if I’m running on 6s? And then what’s better and y’all’s opinion 1 4s pack or two 3s packs?

It’s necessary to shim the diffs properly so the mesh will be set correctly. Prevents the gears from stripping out.

You should have the mesh set correctly no matter what cell count you use.

I would suggest running 6S. Two 3S or one 6S pack doesn’t really matter but I prefer one pack.

So your gear mesh is correct which maximizes performance and minimizes unnecessary wear
I will try to figure it out I have my kraton but I haven’t unboxed it. Tomorrow is the day
It’s necessary to shim the diffs properly so the mesh will be set correctly. Prevents the gears from stripping out.

You should have the mesh set correctly no matter what cell count you use.

I would suggest running 6S. Two 3S or one 6S pack doesn’t really matter but I prefer one pack.
How do you set the mesh

Anybody break down the pros and cons just bought a new kraton 6s blx v5 is it necessary to do this or only if I’m running on 6s? And then what’s better and y’all’s opinion 1 4s pack or two 3s packs?

Very good post above. Shimming takes time to get a feel for it and how it should look and or sound. Shimming is not limited to the outer diffs it's all over for wheels, gears internal gearbox to the center driveshaft as well is planetary gears in the diffs...

Watch videos ask questions about something you need to get a feel for over time. A new rig could be fine and feels good but after 10-20x runs or so you might see time and running you need to shim in places that did not need it.

And Welcome!

Excellent it all makes sense now, I’m kinda new to modifying any RC cars I had an idea you could but never tried it.

Go Slow....removing the diff and checking the side to side shimming is a bit easier. Getting to the input gear to check the shimming to the center driveshaft like the video is more work so work up to that in time. It's a lot to break down if you are not ready, time, rig will be down, and having the correct shims, tools, etc. Baby steps....you're doing good by asking (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back