What does the 150A on an esc do. Do i have to have one that high to run a 1/8 truggy or buggy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warfield

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I have an arma blx esc that has gone bad and i am looking for a replacement esc and use the Arrma motor that came with the truck. So i see 100A esc cost a little less so i was wondering do i need to have a 150A because the kraton comes with that. so to run the motor that i have can i go lower on the amps. i want to run at least 4s on it don't really need 6s.

What esc are you looking at?

None in particular. just wanted basic info on the amps on the esc and how that applied to the motor i have. just want to make sure i can get the same speeds etc that I was getting with the original esc.

100a is getting a little on the low side for a vehicle the size of the Kraton. You can get a new BLX 185 esc on eBay for like $70 or so from the chop shops. Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/381870829783

100a is getting a little on the low side for a vehicle the size of the Kraton. You can get a new BLX 185 esc on eBay for like $70 or so from the chop shops. Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/381870829783

Thanks. I put one of those in my Kyosho inferno and its not working that great. the fan doesn't run much and it doesn't make any of the program sounds. so i don't think i want to go with arrma esc's anymore.

Is it supposed to make sounds? Mine doesn't make any sounds.

There are racers in my area that like to run 120a "SCT" ESC's in their 1/8 e-buggys as a budget ESC, with 1900kv 4070motors, and they hold up well. I don't know of any truggy guys that run smaller ESC's, though.

100a is another step down, though. Personally, while I feel there is a lot of overkill in RC electronics ratings, 100a is lower than I would want to go for an ESC powering a 4074 sized motor in a monster truggy.

Plus, you can get a 'new' blx185 from the Ebay chop shops for about $65.

Is it supposed to make sounds? Mine doesn't make any sounds.

Yes its supposed to make sounds when you turn it on. it does a little ring/beeping noise and also when you set the programming it rings/beeps as well to let you know if its programmed correctly.

There are racers in my area that like to run 120a "SCT" ESC's in their 1/8 e-buggys as a budget ESC, with 1900kv 4070motors, and they hold up well. I don't know of any truggy guys that run smaller ESC's, though.

100a is another step down, though. Personally, while I feel there is a lot of overkill in RC electronics ratings, 100a is lower than I would want to go for an ESC powering a 4074 sized motor in a monster truggy.

Plus, you can get a 'new' blx185 from the Ebay chop shops for about $65.

Thanks. As i said i have the BLX from ebay that doesn't seem to work right so i was looking for something else. I think i may try your suggestion of the 120a on my 1/8 buggy and switch the blx over to the truggy even though its a little glitchy.

Amps is a measure of current flowing through the system. The amp rating is the max it should take safely. I was having overheating issues when I built my Kraton, and with the data logging on MMX ESC I found I was pulling peak amps into the 180 range. This much amps passing through the electronics causes heat. If you only run 4s, then you'll be fine with say 120A rated MM2 ESC, but if you run 6s, that's a lot more power which will cause more current flow (amps) through the system. I had to dial back my pinion to get the amps in the log to peak around 160, and now I'm not overheating. More load on the motor causes it to draw more current (amps) through the system.

The weight of the truck, gearing, and tires all play a role in the motor load which translates to more current demand. A Typhon on the road with 6s may only pull 120A or less, but a Kraton with the same system and gearing in the grass may pull over 150A.

Amps is a measure of current flowing through the system. The amp rating is the max it should take safely. I was having overheating issues when I built my Kraton, and with the data logging on MMX ESC I found I was pulling peak amps into the 180 range. This much amps passing through the electronics causes heat. If you only run 4s, then you'll be fine with say 120A rated MM2 ESC, but if you run 6s, that's a lot more power which will cause more current flow (amps) through the system. I had to dial back my pinion to get the amps in the log to peak around 160, and now I'm not overheating. More load on the motor causes it to draw more current (amps) through the system.

The weight of the truck, gearing, and tires all play a role in the motor load which translates to more current demand. A Typhon on the road with 6s may only pull 120A or less, but a Kraton with the same system and gearing in the grass may pull over 150A.

Thanks. im more than likely only doing 4s but may do 6s every now and then if i get another battery. So that info does help a lot.

Thanks. I put one of those in my Kyosho inferno and its not working that great. the fan doesn't run much and it doesn't make any of the program sounds. so i don't think i want to go with arrma esc's anymore.

You may have a defective unit.

Do remember the ESC that gave problems was red one, not the black follow up version upgrade.
Mine on a Talion barely makes any noise, just the usual at startup and done, its very quiet and the sound of the fan.
I got mine with monster truck tires and moves the rig fine on a 5S using a 19T, get a little warm but I don't go WOT for too long time.

And not all ESC perform the same having the same specs, the same as buying a 1000w amp from Radio Shack vs. from Crutchfield, or 300w rated speakers from the local flea market, LOL. There are some exceptions, Goolrc, Tacon, Hobbywing makes some good ESCs and deliver for the price.

20170527_143409-420x295.jpg

Thx great explanation👍🏾

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back