Senton What does waterproof really mean?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozik

Reaction score
As the title says I have my first Hobby grade RC, it’s an arrma Senton V3.

I notice a lot of it mentions waterproof but just wondering what that really means? Does that mean if I drive through a shallow puddle say an inch deep it will be fine? Or does it mean this thing can be completely submerged?

not that I intend to drive it into a pool or anything, just wondering. And if it really is waterproof wouldn’t mind taking a hose to it to clean it.

It just means splash proof. I wash mine under the tap but I try not to spray water into the electronics. Its not like its IP rated.

I used a hose once after a muddy session driving through puddles. Everything was fine, but it’s not recommended though, but I was a bit lazy. Now that a replaced all stock bearings I won’t do that again, better safe than sorry.

Yeah, drive it in the wet or wash it you always have to dry them off properly and lube all the bearings. They are defo not waterproof.

I just means your electronics wont fry if you go through a puddle.

I wouldn't let it spend a long time in water but I do hose mine off regularly. You just gotta dry it well before storing or running it. I've not had any issues other than switches shorting, if you can cover your switches and wire entry points it'll swim like a fish. Is what I did to my Senton and it runs underwater just fine...though still not recommended as it can cause corrosion wherever electricity and water meet so if your uncertain it is sealed well then best to not make a submarine out of it but puddles are fine.

ESC and motor have been fine after rinsing with water, but my Spektrum 515 receiver freaked out twice. I found moisture in the receiver box. The receiver box is NOT waterproof (even though I waterproof greased it). No problems since stopping the rinsing and using a vacuum cleaner with attachments instead. After a particularly dirty session I did rinse very carefully while avoiding the receiver box and everything was fine. I did my best to dry everything out afterwards. In general, you can run in wet/damp conditions, but don't soak the electronics/submerge your RC.

Last edited:
I notice a lot of it mentions waterproof but just wondering what that really means?

Arrma has a unique definition of waterproof. Page 3 of the manual spells it out quite well. Another thing to consider is that just like a watch, components may be waterproof when new, but the seals will fail over time. I prefer to keep mine as dry as possible.

Attachments

• Manual Page 3.pdf
    50.5 KB · Views: 162
ESC and motor have been fine after rinsing with water, but my Spektrum 515 receiver freaked out twice. I found moisture in the receiver box. The receiver box is NOT waterproof (even though I waterproof greased it). No problems since stopping the rinsing and using a vacuum cleaner with attachments instead. After a particularly dirty session I did rinse very carefully while avoiding the receiver box and everything was fine. I did my best to dry everything out afterwards. In general, you can run in wet/damp conditions, but don't soak the electronics/submerge your RC.
I sealed mine with some rubber cement (so I can remove it later) and haven't had any water get in the box. The biggest offender is where the wires go through at the top, the seal is iffy at best. Put some rubber cement up and down the whole thing and on top, let it cure for a few hours and now even submerged I don't have issues. Biggest concern for me is the bearings getting rusty ;)
Arrma has a unique definition of waterproof. Page 3 of the manual spells it out quite well. Another thing to consider is that just like a watch, components may be waterproof when new, but the seals will fail over time. I prefer to keep mine as dry as possible.
Yep, even says in the manual: the biggest concern is corrosion. The motor and esc are waterproof and so long as the receiver box is sealed so is the receiver...again, as long as that box is sealed.

45 seconds under water with notorious today.i got extra fan wires going into receiver box,otherwise stock electronics.truck didn't miss a beat.

Screenshot_20200907-200350_Photos.jpg

I sank my K6s to bottom of the lake TWICE!
On the same occasion... ??
Pulled it out both times and it kept on going. ?

Did I mention it was winter time! ?

If you're going to use a hose, take your electronics out. It's 5 bolts and a screw. I use wd40 industrial degreaser with a series of brushes and compressed air. Liberty synthetic lube all day on everything when I'm done.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back