What dumb mistakes have you made working on RCs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a diff rebuild put the diff back together filled it up with fluid went to put it back in the car and then noticed the bearings still sitting on my workbench..........................
Yes🙄
Or how about soldering a new qs8 on a battery then realizing I forgot to put the cap thingy on the leads 1st 😆
And yes (with XT90)🙄
😂

Did a diff rebuild put the diff back together filled it up with fluid went to put it back in the car and then noticed the bearings still sitting on my workbench..........................

Yep - I hate that. Really hated it when I was using stock diff cases on the 29mm diff, and fought to get the pin in with an extra shim in the bottom of the plastic cup, finally thinking I won...then noticed I didn't have the bearing on.

Almost every build or repair is a comedy of errors. My wife says I don’t just fix or rebuild a car, I fix or repair it 2 or 3 times each time. I’ll forget screws and bearings, put the top plate and other parts on backwards and typically realize my mistakes only after I’ve put it all back together. So I take it apart and try again. I don’t even get frustrated with myself outside of ‘dang it, did it again’. I know that the more I work on something the better I get with it. Live and learn.

I have two cars on one transmitter. Left the second car powered on while I drove car 1. I found car 2 about 15 minutes later under the wheel of a van lol.

It had been all over grass area at Markham park smh. Some guy comes up and says "oh thats your car, it was going crazy all over the place" lol.

I love this thread, because we've all done things incorrectly. Hopefully we can all learn something.

On the crawler, I was installing brass portal covers. However, the quality of the brass was marginal and I ended up returning it with one of my bearings installed, oops. Cost of lesson $10 and a week of play time.

Super Glued my fingers together. No that's just classic.

Left the radio on and drained the Lion battery to completely dead. Now I have the LVC on the radio turned on. Cost of lesson -$14.

Accidentally swapped screw locations. I had one hole left and the wrong screw, I was like what the heck does this go to. 2 hrs later I figured out which screw it was, then went looking for all the locations it could be on the schematic. It turns out I put the nose cone screw into the top plate. Cost of lesson - 2hrs and some pride.

Soldered the wrong gender connector on battery . . . several times. In one case, on a battery, I figured out it was incorrect when I was cinching up the plastic collet with some channel locks and shorted the terminals. That was a surprise. Cost of lesson $0 at first, but the battery eventually died - $60

Soldered a connector and realize I forgot the heat shrink or plastic collet. Admittedly, I'm a repeat offender.

Soldered a connector and realized I had the +/- swapped.

Left a LiPo in the car for a few days last summer. When I figured out I was missing one I went looking and it was in the back of 4runner all puffed up. Got lucky on that one. All considered it was a cheap lesson for $60.

Ok....so I changed my rear diff fluid few weeks ago. Still in middle of build, so only run a few packs for testing between upgrades....BUT - just realized this morning when looking at my diff fluid bottles....I put in 30WT SHOCK OIL....NOT 30K DIFF FLUID!!!!

Was wondering why it has hard to keep straight on wheelies and hard acceleration. HAHAHA

I thought the new tires were just a much harder compound. Switching to the correct bottle today.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
I did the exact opposite once. Filled my shock with 60,000k diff fluid. Took a few minutes before I realized why it was taking so long to fill. 🤦

🤣🤣🤣🤣
I did the exact opposite once. Filled my shock with 60,000k diff fluid. Took a few minutes before I realized why it was taking so long to fill. 🤦
Man, those things woulda taken forever to rebound too😆

Proudly taking my child out to the woods with his rc car - only had the one battery inside the car, rest of it, at home 😬

Didnt thread lock the pinion screw because I thought, not everything they say has to be threadlocked. (Its in the manual btw). Car cogged up, tyres were turning one by one but not together. I knew its inside there somewhere. I got lucky it got stuck between the spur and housing, it ate some side off the spur gear and slipper clutch plastic, but its ok

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back