Kraton What esc and motor combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am considering getting a new esc and motor for My kraton would like to have my system cool at all times I’m a temperature freak brands I am considering are castle and hobbywing should I get sensored or senseless
I’m a fan of the max6 combo. 1650kv

It’s a great power plant, stable, easy to use and cheap program card available (if it doesn’t come with the combo) sometimes they do.

Is the more kv the better?
More kv is more rpm per volt. So more kv is more rpm and more top speed. But at a certain gearing the motor needs to work hard to get the rpm's and will ask a lot of amps from he esc -> higher temperatures.
So in general the heavier the car the lower the kv. Lower kv motor (and larger diameter motor) have more torque in general and you can gear them higher to get higher speeds. Still following me?:ROFLMAO:

For a Kraton 6s get 2000kv or lower. The Max6 4985 1650kv combo is a heck of a combo (I have it in the Mojave), but may be a bit of overkill for the K6 (wheelie time! :ROFLMAO:). If you like that go for it, otherwise you may consider a 4092 motor in the 1650-1800kv range.

Last edited:
Bashing a Kraton doesn't need a Sensored setup. WIll cost more. Will drive smoother at low speeds, No cogging. For bashing can do without though.
Mostly for On-road or a Racing setup is where sensored motors/ESC's benefit.,

I am considering getting a new esc and motor for My kraton would like to have my system cool at all times I’m a temperature freak brands I am considering are castle and hobbywing should I get sensored or senseless
max6 combo is the hype everyone has or if you have money a Castle in it 🤷

I'm sorry to say because I have it in it myself 🙈 but I really regret that very much.
A max8 with a 4092 motor is more than sufficient. with that max6 combo is constantly on your roof if you give a little too much gas. you don't get ahead because you have too much power. really makes no sense.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211007-124815_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211007-124815_Samsung Internet.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Now this is a debate convince me on which combo to get
Edit:also I don’t want to spent a $hit load of money
Determine whether you want 6s or 8s running. Commit to one. Then take it from there. Max 8 runs a 6s lipo max. Max 6 runs 8s max. Max 6s on 6s will be more effiecient over a max 8 running 6s. Max 6 has more overhead amps running it on 6s.
Then you determine the size motor(Kv) based on the max volatge (6s or 8s) that you will use.
Hope what I said makes sense.
But most all the above replies pretty much pointed you straight.
Start checking the specs to compare each ESC you have in mind after you decide which lipos you are committed to run.
Buying as a combo doesn't always come with much of a discount. And sometimes mixing and matching motors/ESC's is best without committing to a combo setup. Just my spin. Price equates to performance in most cases. Your wallet is different than others here. It's your choice in the end. Sometimes there is no cheap way out. Electrics can be $$$ in this hobby. You generally pay for what you get.

Then you clearly want a Max 6 ( 3-8s ESC) at minimum.

And a 1650kv motor will provide:

>42,240 Rpm's on 8s

>36,630 Rpm's on 6s

( motor KV x lipo pack nominal volts = motor RPM's)

That combo ESC/motor should cover you. Geared right. Trial and error will find your gearing sweet spot from there. Temp and performance wise.

Hope this helps.

I would like to use 8s and 6s
Well that rules out the max6 combo I posted above..as that motor isn't rated for 8s. The other Max6 combos that are rated for 8s use a bigger can motor, which is feasible with the right mounts I think.
If money is a limiting factor(me too), I wouldn't recommend 8s in that truck as you'll almost certainly be tearing up driveline parts.

^^^
Geared correctly 1650 can work. I don't run 8s in my 6s line of rigs. I agree regarding drivetrain wear and tear. Overpowered. But we all drive RC's differently.
OP wants to run 8s and 6s however.
The size motor can is a moot point.
6s rigs are much lighter than most 8s combo setup specs would dictate. We are not talking a 30 pound 8s OC or Kraton here. Why wouldn't a 1650kv motor work on a 6s Arrma rig? Whether on 6s or 8s?

^^^
Geared correctly 1650 can work. I don't run 8s in my 6s line of rigs. I agree regarding drivetrain wear and tear. Overpowered. But we all drive RC's differently.
OP wants to run 8s and 6s however.
The size motor can is a moot point.
6s rigs are much lighter than most 8s combo setup specs would dictate. We are not talking a 30 pound 8s OC or Kraton here. Why wouldn't a 1650kv motor work on a 6s Arrma rig? Whether on 6s or 8s?
I was just going by manufacturers specifications, but do they know?
I don't own a K6S,but imagine putting a 56mm can in one is not a plug n play process..
1650kv is irrelevant to my comment.

1650kv is relevent based on your comment.
I read it a few times.:unsure:
Fill me in better.

Edit:
You have a 6s chassis based Mojave EXB. Same applies for the K6.

I see the HW specs. Strange that HW only specs the max 6 (8s ESC) for this 6s max 4985 motor. Got ya.
So why wouldn't a max 8 (6s)work as an alternative ESC to this motor?? A different question altogether.
I am sure many have run this motor on 8s already. Despite HW's lipo spec. limit.:unsure:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back