What ESC's do you run and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norcalsc

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Talion
  4. Typhon 6s
  5. Typhon 3s
I personally have never run Hobbywing and I still consider myself inexperienced in comparison to others. I'm curious to know what the more seasoned RC guys run and why. I have been running the TS150 from SKYRC (Kraton 6s EXB and Talion EXB) and have grown comfortable with its operation as I own 3 of them. one of the ESC's is still in the box, waiting fro the Typhon 6s that is still in the mail. I probably won't try something different unless something breaks or unless a new build comes up on the horizon. what is there to gain from going to a brand like HW or castle?

edit: I forgot I ran an HW Quicrun 120a in my Typhon 3s for a bit but didn't care for it as it just didn't give me the power I wanted or felt like I should've been getting. Have a $60 surpass hobby 120a sensorless that really seems to work well in it for now.

My Kraton 6s runs stock electronics and works great.
If the ESC ever dies I'll put a HW Max 6 in there. HW is the best for bashers in my opinion

Speed runners it is the XLX2 or MMX8s, but I will go with the XLX2 every time unless it is a small 1/10 platform.
Nothing beats Castle in amperage and total wattage output delivery for speed run use.

I prefer HW over any stocker electrics. HW Sensored being my favorites. Whether Off road or On road. No HW has failed me. Neither QuickRuns through Zerun series.
Have not been the CC route. Agree, probably best for hard core Speed running. This is well proven. I just get the impression they can be more temperamental and a bit more costly over HW gear.

Hw user here, max 6 combo's, I've seen threads about cc 1650's detaching etc. Here in UK cc price is comparable to a new rig. Imo hw are bombproof, perfect for a basher.

Have had a bl 150 for years, been in many rigs and still going strong. Having said that I do want to try TC toro 6s electrics. From what I've seen they push along like a rabid dog.

I preface my comment with this...I've had the XLX2, MMX8S, BLX (from stock V4 Talion and V2 Outcast 6S), various Spektrum ESCs (120A and 150A), HobbyWing Max 8, and an MGM 25035 (8S capable). From my experience the MMX8S is the best. You can do everything with it but again that's based on my driving experience and skill level. Its the best all around ESC on the market. I'm running it in 2 of my builds right now and would purchase it again for the next one. The XLX2 is for heavy speed and high amperage use but is also excellent. Castle ESCs are the best and easiest to program and track data. They can get a little pricey with all the add-ons needed (B-Link, Castle connections, cap packs, etc.)

The HobbyWing is excellent for bashing and raw power even though it has limits. I'd purchase this one again also. I'd consider the HW a step above the stock BLX system though that system is actually pretty good especially for a newbie.

The MGM left me wanting only because its so difficult to program. Its the priciest of them all. The product quality is excellent but I needed to work with it more to get the most out of it...which I wasn't able to do.

Spektrum is TRASH to me. All types of glitches and problems popped up out of nowhere and I could never get what I wanted. I almost felt like the ESC was hindering the potential of the motors I used with it. I'll never buy Spektrum electronics again as long as I can help it and if I'm stuck with them for whatever reason they will be removed IMMEDIATELY. Again I preface this is based off my experience and I'm sure there are those who love Spektrum. Using Spektrum altered my whole approach to RC. After using Spektrum in RTRs and initially dong builds with it I now prefer to build from scratch and use my own combination of electronics or buy rollers or even used and put my own choice of stuff in. I refuse to waste my money on anything orange again.

hobbywing quicrun in kraton 6s and two talions others are blx 150 and firma 150 couldn't see me needing any more power its hard enough keeping front wheels on the ground as it is (y)

I have Hobbywing AXE and Fusion systems in my crawlers, a Hobbywing Max10 SCT in a road car, and a Spektrum Firma 130A ESC in my Typhon 3s. When it comes to 6s, I prefer Castle systems. I use a Castle MMX 8s for my Kraton 6s because it is highly configurable, and other than the battery connector, the MMX 8s system does not require soldering.

I've ran plenty of skyRc. Still got a Leopard 60A combo in my 10 scale drifers, a Toro motor in my serpent. I even ran the 8S 200A beast on HSP.
I'd say it's quite on par with hobbywing.
Maybe the HW Max series is a bit more aggressive and tougher, something you might want on a larger scale basher.
Castle only use on applications were huge/high watt motors (6+kW) are desirable, like speedrunning

Myself I been purchasing HW based on reviews of performance and reliability. In the past several year since converting from nitro. I've owned both T @%#$$ , losi, Axial (castle). Have esc issues/failure with all. Tried a HW max10 and it still going strong and I'm rough on stuff.

I have had many cheap ESC's from Hobbyking, Toro, GoolRC. Why? Because they are cheap. But, they often fail, and some of them are not very smooth or linear.

I have has several OEM ESC's from different brands, even bought a Arrma BLX200. OEM's seem to be smoother and more linear than the uber cheap ESCs - decent, but lacking programing beyond basics.

I have only one Hobbywing, a "Juststock" that came used in a use truck I got off FB. Not a lot of time on it, but it seems fine.

The last few years, I have started buying Castle ESCs. None of the cheaper Sidewinders, but I have 2x MMX, 1 MX, and 1 Copperhead. Every Castle ESC runs super smooth, even unsensored. Great throttle response, very programable, and I will set the BEC to 7.4v so my servos have Extra. (this is also why I don't buy Sidewinders, BEC is 5.0v-6.0v, 2a and not adjustable.)

As long as I can afford it, I will keep buying Castle, until I find something I like better. If I can't afford the Castle, I would try the Hobby Wing, but if I was really strapped for cash, I would buy GoolRC, knowing it would be temporary, as it won't last (and might arrive dead).

I have had many cheap ESC's from Hobbyking, Toro, GoolRC. Why? Because they are cheap. But, they often fail, and some of them are not very smooth or linear.

I have has several OEM ESC's from different brands, even bought a Arrma BLX200. OEM's seem to be smoother and more linear than the uber cheap ESCs - decent, but lacking programing beyond basics.

I have only one Hobbywing, a "Juststock" that came used in a use truck I got off FB. Not a lot of time on it, but it seems fine.

The last few years, I have started buying Castle ESCs. None of the cheaper Sidewinders, but I have 2x MMX, 1 MX, and 1 Copperhead. Every Castle ESC runs super smooth, even unsensored. Great throttle response, very programable, and I will set the BEC to 7.4v so my servos have Extra. (this is also why I don't buy Sidewinders, BEC is 5.0v-6.0v, 2a and not adjustable.)

As long as I can afford it, I will keep buying Castle, until I find something I like better. If I can't afford the Castle, I would try the Hobby Wing, but if I was really strapped for cash, I would buy GoolRC, knowing it would be temporary, as it won't last (and might arrive dead).
I ran plenty of them cheap goolRC too. I am pretty sure they changed their name/merged into surpass hobby

I run Max6/1650kv combo in my 8s Senton. Mostly I went this route because im new to speed running and not the most experienced. The hope was it would hold up better to my crashes, and in that regard it hasn't disappointed. I also the HobbyWing Fusion Pro in my TF2. I like this far better the HW AXE 3300KV I run in SCX10.iii. The last few months I've grown to really appreciate the MambaX that I bought to replace the HW Axe. It's FAR more efficient and propels a 18 pound scx.iii far faster on a smaller can with almost 1000 less kv. And it does it using less juice from the battery. This i know for a fact because my 5500mah 3s battery lasts a 3 hour crawl as opposed to having to change them halfway through with the Axe. My next build, I plan to use an XLX2 esc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back