Talion what gearing are you running?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone prefer 5s? I find it the sweet spot for this car. Gearing 17/50 for bashing. Need an external voltage alarm and to run with stock esc in Nimh mode but very controllable, fast and good temps.

Does anybody kno the stock information to a v3 kraton so i can use this chart and go from there?
* Enter Front/Rear Differential Gear Ratio : 4.3
* Enter Transmission Gear Ratio (?): 1
* Enter Additional Gear Ratio (?): 1
* Enter Spur Gear tooth count (?): 50
* Enter Pinion Gear tooth count (?):12/14
* Enter total battery voltage (?): 22.20 (6s) 14.80 (4s)
* Enter kv rating of brushless motor (?):2050
* Enter tire diameter in inches (?): 6.5
* Enter Current draw in amps (?): 150
Anything I haven't included here I just leave blank.

I'm having a hard time finding what gearing will fit in the talion without changing the spur. For my other rigs, the mfr lists out what ratio's fit, but I'm not seeing anything like that on Arrma's site or in the manual, I may be overlooking it.

Trying to see if a talion can be geared to be similar top speed as stock gearing with 4S vs running 6S. Met a new person to the hobby and he has a talion and one set of packs. His run time isn't anywhere near mine with my flux, revo or stampede. He's running 5000mah 3S packs. I only run 4S in my revo and savage, but both of mine are as fast or faster than his rig for top speed. I'm not 100% sure what gearing he has, but I do know it's the older talion, so I'm guessing he's running either 13/50 or 15/50 gearing. I get 35-40 minutes on a set of 9000mah packs in my revo/flux whereas he's lucky to get 20. But trying to run dual 9000mah 3S packs would add a lot of weight to one side.

I figured if he could gear his taller to have similar speed to what he has now on 6S while running 4S, he could run larger capacity packs like I do without adding a lot of extra weight by increasing pack size with 6S. Since the packs are lumped together on one side of the chassis, going too big would make the thing lopsided. I don't want to suggest he regear it to the moon, then have overheating issues, so I figured I'd ask and see what people are running.

With that thought in mind, after seeing how easy his is to work on, I'd consider getting a Kraton or Outcast as another truck. But I myself would like to continue using 4S as well.

I think first page on this thread someone using a 23T with stock 50T spur. Limit is the motor mount. I gear 17/50 using 5s...probably around 50mph and very controllable. Get a temp gun and a bunch of mod1 spurs on ebay (even the cheap ones are not too bad) and play with the pinion size vs temps. 4s with a very large spur I think will have other more subtle effects on your performance on the track, or even bashing.

This link summarizes nicely...

http://www.radiocontroltips.com/simple-guide-to-rc-gearing/

I think first page on this thread someone using a 23T with stock 50T spur. Limit is the motor mount. I gear 17/50 using 5s...probably around 50mph and very controllable. Get a temp gun and a bunch of mod1 spurs on ebay (even the cheap ones are not too bad) and play with the pinion size vs temps. 4s with a very large spur I think will have other more subtle effects on your performance on the track, or even bashing.

This link summarizes nicely...

http://www.radiocontroltips.com/simple-guide-to-rc-gearing/
Thanks. I saw that, but it was the Kraton and they didn't mention if they had to modify anything or do anything special.

I know what gearing does, just needed to know what specifically fits and works well with 4S in this particular rig, the Talion.

I know with my savages, revos, jato, stampede that you can't run the largest spur and largest pinion because they physically will not fit. Also, being completely new to arrma and this type of vehicle, I don't know how tall you can go with gearing before your stressing the motor and/or the esc.

I really want to avoid this scenario:
21t with the stock 50t spur and my blx esc burst into a ball of flames in 15mins of bashing.

That would suggest 18/50 or 19/50 may be on the edge of too tall, with 23/50 being way too tall. Then again, he didn't elaborate as to if he was using 4S or 6S.

Last edited:
Roger that and apologies for the basic explanation.

Then you probably have lots of pinions lurking around and a temp gun. Maybe someone else can chime in, but I assumed if temps good = motor/esc good. I do find though that when I do speed runs with larger pinions my accel is noticeably affected.

I have a Talion as well, one of my favorite trucks!

No problem. I wish I did have pinons around, but I don't. I have spares of what I run on my rigs. He runs different connectors than I do, stock I think, so having him try my packs with a spare 20T pinion I might have is a bit of a pain as well. I may also have my old 21T from my flux as I'm running a 21 on it now and got the 20 when I got new trencher tires just in case I needed to gear down. I didn't... money well spent I guess.

Anyway, just trying to see what has already been tried before I suggest he spend some money on it. I hate giving unproven advice.

If you run the spool you can run Revo gears. That's what I did. Revo Mod1 steel spurs. It's a lot more options. Spool may not be for everyone though. I do keep a center diff ready to drop in if needed..

I prefer 5S, and sometimes 4S if want to drive more than bash.

18T w stock spur gear, did swap to bigger diameter tires and that made a huge difference.

Its a basher for when I am itching for some trigger time, run a few batteries and back to the bench. Most of my tinkering is on rc airplanes, the Talion is mostly stock besides the above. Boughr a less torquier motor but have not installed it yet. W the new larger tires it lifts the front end constantly, am happy as it is.

I prefer 5S, and sometimes 4S if want to drive more than bash.

18T w stock spur gear, did swap to bigger diameter tires and that made a huge difference.

Its a basher for when I am itching for some trigger time, run a few batteries and back to the bench. Most of my tinkering is on rc airplanes, the Talion is mostly stock besides the above. Boughr a less torquier motor but have not installed it yet. W the new larger tires it lifts the front end constantly, am happy as it is.

I think 5S is the sweet spot for all these trucks. Controllable, not too hot, and diffs should survive. Only downside is you have to run in NIMH mode with external LVC buzzer as the BLX ESC only likes 4 or 6S not 5S.

I wonder if running 6S with your throttle EPA (non-stock radio) set at 75% would be similar to running 5S if you dialed down your punch settings. Then you can still rely on the LVC of the ESC but have a bit more speed than 4S. Of course, this would be after calibrating the receiver/esc with the throttle EPA at 100%.

I wonder if running 6S with your throttle EPA (non-stock radio) set at 75% would be similar to running 5S if you dialed down your punch settings. Then you can still rely on the LVC of the ESC but have a bit more speed than 4S. Of course, this would be after calibrating the receiver/esc with the throttle EPA at 100%.

Actually, this would be better on the electronics. The motor / ESC would be seeing the higher voltage, which means fewer amps for the same 5s power. Lower amps = less heat. Plus longer run times for the same MAH per cell.

When I am at the track, I typically run 4s with EPA set to about 70%. One day I decided to try 3s / 100%. Power speed was pretty much identical. After the run, though the motor and ESC were HOT! - much hotter than when we run 4s at 75%. Lower motor voltage = more amps to make the same power.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back