Talion what gearing are you running?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys I was just wondering I know another member stated the Team Durango 46t spur will work. Shouldn't the Arrma Nero 46t spur work also? I just found it available and was thinking on buying it. Would like to run a 23/46 on 6s and see what speeds I can get in my V3 Talion.

Actually, this would be better on the electronics. The motor / ESC would be seeing the higher voltage, which means fewer amps for the same 5s power. Lower amps = less heat. Plus longer run times for the same MAH per cell.

When I am at the track, I typically run 4s with EPA set to about 70%. One day I decided to try 3s / 100%. Power speed was pretty much identical. After the run, though the motor and ESC were HOT! - much hotter than when we run 4s at 75%. Lower motor voltage = more amps to make the same power.
I can't wrap my head around that for some reason. Guess I forgot the discrete electronics math from college 20 years ago...

Regardless, I'm finding that running 4S in my outcast with 16/50 caused the motor to run hot and the ESC to thermal on me after 15 minutes or so in the grass. I saw temps at the motor of 170F and at the ESC of 135F. I added a HW motor fan/heat sink and dropped the pinion to 15T. The motor temp dropped 30F, but the ESC still got to 142F and stopped on me. Granted, it was 90F outside, but it happened even in the skate park with very little grass running. I ran yesterday for 2 sets of packs at the skate park, it was 84F outside and it did fine until I ventured out in the grass.

I have a feeling I'm going to be forced to go 6S to have a speed I can live with and temps that are maintainable. I have 14 2S packs... no 3S... yet.

I can't wrap my head around that for some reason.

Start at the end.

To go XX MPH, you need Y power. Power is Watts. Watts is Amps*volts. Amps generate heat. So to lower heat, you need to lower amps. To lower amps, with the same power, you need more volts.

A few years ago, there was a movement within my local racing community to race at 6S instead of 4s. They would get 1350kv-1500kv motors, 3600mah-4000mah 6s packs. Same basic battery weight, same power to the ground, motors ran pretty much stone cold.

Start at the end.

To go XX MPH, you need Y power. Power is Watts. Watts is Amps*volts. Amps generate heat. So to lower heat, you need to lower amps. To lower amps, with the same power, you need more volts.

A few years ago, there was a movement within my local racing community to race at 6S instead of 4s. They would get 1350kv-1500kv motors, 3600mah-4000mah 6s packs. Same basic battery weight, same power to the ground, motors ran pretty much stone cold.
I get it if your trying to pull the same top speed of the vehicle with gearing a 4S to 6S. If that's all you mean, then I fully agree. However, if geared properly, you should be able to run 4S just as stable as 6S, correct? If geared too tall, both 6S or 4S will try to pull too many amps and cause heat issues. With 6S, if geared too short, you will possibly push too many RPM's for the motor to stay cool over a long duration.

Herm, my fan has pooped out on my BLX185. I ran a long time on 4S, and the motor got hot at the end of the pack. I let it cool down some, and threw in my 6S pack. The Motor never got hot, but thermalled because the ESC was too hot. (didnt happen on 4S). While i'm sure it's the Amps/current that create heat. It's not all that black and white; Or i should have had better luck without a fan on my ESC when on 6S.

Herm, my fan has pooped out on my BLX185. I ran a long time on 4S, and the motor got hot at the end of the pack. I let it cool down some, and threw in my 6S pack. The Motor never got hot, but thermalled because the ESC was too hot. (didnt happen on 4S). While i'm sure it's the Amps/current that create heat. It's not all that black and white; Or i should have had better luck without a fan on my ESC when on 6S.
What truck, gearing, tires and terrain?

I could probably remedy my overheating by stepping down one more tooth on the pinion to 14/50. I just don't know if I'd then have the speed to clear "the gap" at my skate park that's so fun to clear. :) Clearing that the first time with my savage flux felt like a right of passage. 17 years of nitro and it never occurred to me to try the jump. Then my buddy hit it on 6S and cleared it by a ridiculous margin... I soon followed with my flux. My issue then was I ran a solid center axle (no diff) and getting the savage up to speed in the distance there is available was tough to do without pulling a wheelie and losing momentum. Then I got a center diff in it and I could clear it easily, also running 4S.

Anyway, sorry for the thread deviation. :)

What truck, gearing, tires and terrain?

I could probably remedy my overheating by stepping down one more tooth on the pinion to 14/50. I just don't know if I'd then have the speed to clear "the gap" at my skate park that's so fun to clear. :) Clearing that the first time with my savage flux felt like a right of passage. 17 years of nitro and it never occurred to me to try the jump. Then my buddy hit it on 6S and cleared it by a ridiculous margin... I soon followed with my flux. My issue then was I ran a solid center axle (no diff) and getting the savage up to speed in the distance there is available was tough to do without pulling a wheelie and losing momentum. Then I got a center diff in it and I could clear it easily, also running 4S.

Anyway, sorry for the thread deviation. :)
I'm a new kraton owner. I put on some deboot backflips, stock.. 12?/50. This is run in loose dirt, almost sand in some spots.

i ran 55.9 on gps 16/50 gearing fighting the truck to keep it straight castle mmx,2200kv motor
going to swap to a leopard 4092 pretty soon and some big gears for speed runs
Kraton on 6s belted tires and 16/50 gearing I got 64mph on gps

What is the TTC (total tooth count) on Kraton Exb, standard motor mount?

Just bought 27t pinion, but it does not fit with the 50t center spur. I have a 46t center spur in order tho..

i run 24/46 on my hobbystar 4092 1730kv motor

Im ran a 23/50 in my kraton. It was 75 mph +. Stupid fast and fun. Wheelies on demand at any throttle position View attachment 686
6s or 8s???
What is the TTC (total tooth count) on Kraton Exb, standard motor mount?

Just bought 27t pinion, but it does not fit with the 50t center spur. I have a 46t center spur in order tho..
IDK, but can say that with a 46/27, it starts to max out on my Infr. stock motor mount. 46spur is stock. 27is the included speed gear. 28 might just squeeze in there. IDK. It's that close. 46+27=73 (tooth count) 🤷‍♂️ I don't have a loose 28pin. to check.

Last edited:
6s or 8s???

IDK, but can say that with a 46/27, it starts to max out on my Infr. stock motor mount. 46spur is stock. 27is the included speed gear. 28 might just squeeze in there. IDK. It's that close. 46+27=73 (tooth count) 🤷‍♂️ I don't have a loose 28pin. to check.
What will be the different in speed between 46+27 vs 50+23? Top speed vs acceleration.. or just the same

Not the same.
46/27 is 1.7:1 ratio (higher speed)
50/23 is 2.1:1 ratio (faster acceleration -less top end)

On 6s and stock spur with a 16t pinion I went an average of 54mph. Went to a 20t pinion and did 71mph. I’m going back to my 16t for general bashing. Plenty of speed with zero heat issues while bashing.

BD17883D-3186-4518-8DCD-BCF8B2062F29.jpeg

D83207B0-5022-43A4-AC45-188BC1B30C1E.jpeg

CA24E725-9532-4E5E-974F-242F8819E9C3.jpeg

Not the same.
46/27 is 1.7:1 ratio (higher speed)
50/23 is 2.1:1 ratio (faster acceleration -less top end)
Thanks again.

Do you know what diff oil I should have for "speedruns"? In the 46t center spur, 27/46 gearing.

I have 500k in the 50t spur..

Edit:
Kraron exb
Max6 1650kv combo
Proline street fighter 3.8 belted

Last edited:
Thanks again.

Do you know what diff oil I should have for "speedruns"? In the 46t center spur, 27/46 gearing.

I have 500k in the 50t spur..

Edit:
Kraron exb
Max6 1650kv combo
Proline street fighter 3.8 belted
I am at 200k in the center(46spur) in my Infr. However, having a Lim with a spool for comparison, I will absolutely go to 500k my next rebuild. My recommendation without question. My off road rigs all get 500k. I am fresh out of 500k unfortunately. Dam oil is so hard to find these days. Really pissed about that.
I was using Traxxassss 500k. All that I could find recently. $$ and small quantity only fills 2.5 diffs. I do have 1 million here (Team Associated oil). May use that also. I just like to go up in smaller increments to judge the difference easier.
Serious Speed running really needs a spool. No getting around it. At high speed a diff causes power bleed from the rear axle. That can scrub speed.
:cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back