Talion What gearing for my setup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjl5590

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Curious what you think my gearing should be, before I waste money on 5 different pinions...

I do mainly bashing on tarmac, some speed runs mixed in with light off-road bashing.

Current setup is:

SSS 2140kV motor
Max 6
6s
Gearing: stock spur, 21T pinion.

New setup will be:

TP 4070cm 2000kV
Max 6
8s
Gearing: stock spur, ? pinion

Any advice greatly appreciated

You won’t find a single pinion that would be good for all situations. You’re only safe out is gear it for bashing and speed runs will suffer. If you go the other way and gear it for speed runs and bash it, you’ll burn up that motor quick. I would just recommend swapping pinions based on your situation.

Not looking for 130mph, would be happy if it topped out at 70-80mph. Do you think a 24T pinion would work?
You’re best off running the number thru a calculator but off rip that sounds a little tall for just 80mph on 8S. My off the cuff guess would be in the 20T range, but the best thing to do is start small and test, watch temps. Then you can gear up accordingly. ??

You’re best off running the number thru a calculator but off rip that sounds a little tall for just 80mph on 8S. My off the cuff guess would be in the 20T range, but the best thing to do is start small and test, watch temps. Then you can gear up accordingly. ??
I'd happy go faster! Haha. I'm running a 21T pinion with my current setup, and the new setup should be considerably more powerful. That's why I figured 24T. So long as the temps are cool that's all that matters

I'd happy go faster! Haha. I'm running a 21T pinion with my current setup, and the new setup should be considerably more powerful. That's why I figured 24T. So long as the temps are cool that's all that matters
Not sure if you’re aware that the Castle MMX8S keeps motors way cooler too. May want to consider swapping.

Ok just taken out the Talion on my current setup, pretty certain putting any more power into it will destroy it... It's more than powerful enough as it is.

I think I'm just expecting 70mph on short grass which is almost unachievable

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back