What has this hobby taught you so far?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I own a house, I plan on buying a nitro buggy and my desperately wanted Lodi 5ive-T 2.0 😂
Don't get me wrong, Nitro is cool (I've run MANY Nitro cars - and still own 2), but these electrics can kick the crap out of most nitro / gas - ALOT cleaner too. The only real issue is heat / battery time.

Traxxas and apple have many similarities:
Relatively easy to use
Overpriced
High comparability within the brand
Nice for beginners
Huge parts/repair support

Don't get me wrong, Nitro is cool (I've run MANY Nitro cars - and still own 2), but these electrics can kick the crap out of most nitro / gas - ALOT cleaner too. The only real issue is heat / battery time.
I want to gain the experience and knowledge of them, especially the Losi. Don’t care much about cleaner, I’m a gas well tech and work at landfills so anything is cleaner than that LOL

Traxxas and apple have many similarities:
Relatively easy to use
Overpriced
High comparability within the brand
Nice for beginners
Huge parts/repair support
Traxxas and Microsoft have many similarities:

Stole ideas from another organization and claimed as theirs
Trying to have a monopoly
If they want to sell your product, they block you or buy you out
Great for beginners
Extremely easy to use / break
Parts everywhere / support sucks
The best setup is very expensive

Based on decades of experience:
Apple's work - their devices and computers. I'm a computer and network engineer / tech and I routinely touch multiple OS's. Each and every person I have known with a Windows machine that switched to Apple, every single problem disappeared - and they're happier computer users.

4. Support your local hobby store. They make pennies on your gear and rely on your return business. Plus, they WILL tell you the truth.
Not sure if that part is sarcasm or not... In 20 years of RC, I have had only one guy at one hobby store be honest with me about anything. At one point, I had 4 or 5 hobby stores in a 60 mile radius. Every single one of them were charlatans just out to get your money. Which makes no sense really because once you figure out they lie through their teeth... you don't go back.

All of my LHS have been ok. They seem less knowledgeable than malicious really. I did find a store around 25 miles away that had plenty of diff oil cause the guy foresaw the shortage and he knew Arrma cars like the back of his hand. Probably go visit him more often if I need anything.

Money Burn GIF by nog

Remember, I had my Road Wizard in the early 80s'. I lived 30 minutes from NYC in the suburbs. Back then, most hobby shops still sold models , trains, rockets, etc. R/C was not that popular and there wasn't nearly such demand for the parts. I knew the owner who told me that it was a relatively new hobby (as far as commercially), and he wasn't making anything on parts. If you picture an 80s F1, on a 1/10 scale, this was the Road Wizard. Then I got into 1/12 carpet and that was a blast. Even back then we were trying to shave off weight by using titanium screws, lighter parts, etc. At those speeds, I don't even know if it mattered. Just get to the finish line first. I saw Associated, Kyosho, but I had the Tamiya 1/12 scale, LeMans Porche. This was a very good car for the money. I could have sold it on any night. I still have the Road Wizard and the Porche.

Don't be afraid that things will break. It's unavoidable. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty and fix things yourself. It's feels pretty good to put them back together.

By parts and oils when they are available because they may not be available after you break something.

Only buy GREAT tools, merely good tools are not worth the time and broken parts that they will cost you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back