What has this hobby taught you so far?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't afford a sports car project right now... hummm maybe RC cars will be affordable fun to hold me over for a while.
Nope!!!!
What's your sports car gonna be, once you have your RC world record?

I have a VW buggy in pieces, it used to be my dad's. One day will become a Electric offroad buggy. It's definitely one of the reasons why I dove deeper into RC and the understanding of electric drivetrains.

1. Order your stuff and pay for it before announcing that parts are available (especially JennyRC)
2. Ramps are fun, until stuff breaks, than it's a love/hate relationship but addictive
3. Best case is 50/50 repair and bash time. Typically it's 90/10 on repair/maintain.
4. Unrealistic expectations on 'Extreme' or 'bash'. Don't turn a 3S into a 12S, with punch setting on 27 and cry that your diff is too weak or that your driveshaft stripped.

Last edited:
1. Patience
2. If at first you don't succeed don't try it again...try something different
3. It's OK to spend money as long as it's spent wisely
4. Learn to laugh at your failures
5. You probably won't get everything out of it that you put into it...but if you enjoy the ride along the way you've already gotten the most you can get
6. Persistence
7. It's OK to ask for help...you might actually get it (closed mouths don't get fed)

What's your sports car gonna be, once you have your RC world record?

I have a VW buggy in pieces, it used to be my dad's. One day will become a Electric offroad buggy. It's definitely one of the reasons why I dove deeper into RC and the understanding of electric drivetrains.

I used to have a 95' Nissan 240sx. (Known as the S14 Silvia in other parts of the world.)
A big nasty LSX454 would be quite fun in there....

Or I have been tempted to take a SC300 / Soarer and convert the body to the newer LC500 with the same LSX454 motor swap.

As an 18 year old kid, this hobby has done a lot for me.
1. It’s gotten me into 3D printing parts
2. How to reinforce and fix things effectively without getting new parts
3. How to manage money (I spend in between 300-600 a month on rc).
4. It’s lead me to my career path of mechanical engineering.
5. Stock up on parts

RC has taught me how to tell if a Lipo is charged just by feeling its weight.

Also that if I haven't broken it, it's because I haven't tried!

In some ways, the hobby, or specifically what "bashing" has evolved into, has told me that it isn't for me... I've been in RC for 30+ years now back in the days when I would sling burgers for hours in order to be able to afford parts for my RC car to now where I'm fortunate enough to be able to buy (almost) whatever I want. Maybe old habits die hard, but it's still difficult for me to sling $800-1000 worth of car off a ramp 20 feet into the air and cross my fingers that I nail the landing and don't break anything, let alone everything.

The local hobby shop owner's favorite phrase is "if you ain't breaking parts, you aren't running hard enough." - easy for you to say, Mr. Crack Dealer.

Last edited:
......I'm fortunate enough to be able to buy (almost) whatever I want. Maybe old habits die hard, but it's still difficult for me to sling $800-1000 worth of car off a ramp 20 feet into the air and cross my fingers that I nail the landing and don't break anything, let alone everything.

The local hobby shop owner's favorite phrase is "if you ain't breaking parts, you aren't running hard enough." - easy for you to say, Mr. Crack Dealer.
I'm in a similar situation: I like going fast, but I'm just not into jumping extreme heights, no matter what the cost of the vehicle or the parts. My Typhon 3S with street tires is just perfect for the type of running I do, which is mostly on flat pavement with an occasional small jump.

It taught me to think better when making a choice, and to buy the upgraded rc than buying the cheap brush motor one you come out better and cheaper with less parts to upgrade 😉

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back