What I learned today at the LHS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to Hobbytown in Johnson City Tennessee today for the first time (it’s an hour to go to Asheville where we used to live for about 20 years…..have went to Asheville Hobbytown several times…..good group of folks there, btw) and , it is now an hour to Johnson City location of Hobbytown from where we live now……

What did I learn?

They are super nice folks there as well…..not pushy….one fellow really knew his stuff about RC’s, but wasn’t arrogant about it 👍

They have a great selection of stuff

I learned for the first time how heavy an Outcast 8S BLX weighs when you try to pick it up when you have only messed with 6S before

MIP drivers may cost some money BUT they are WORTH IT (brought some home with me)

You do feel a sense of accomplishment by leaving without spending $5,000

IF YOU LIVE NEAR JOHNSON CITY…… Hobbytown has a MANICURED TRACK next door to it… less than a minute walk from the front door, and…..
if there aren’t any races scheduled (usually not a problem)….AND
its not raining……..
For $5 you can have the use of the track for as much of that day as you want (comply with business hours, that is…..)

now what kind of deal is that, folks!!!??

but please, CHECK WITH THEM for availability…..and….
its not a huge track, GREAT for 2,3, and 4s…..6S is definitely maxed for the course….

So…….all in all, the LHS has put out a LOT for us Hobby people. So, even though I have relied on the Internet for much of my business, especially because I live out in the middle of nowhere…… I learned today that I would like to support my Local Hobby Shop by giving them some business from time to time….if you can do the same, please do……

THANX
I live 1 1/2 hours from the Johnson City Hobbytown and 2 hours from the one in Knoxville. I have shopped both and can tell you that the one in Johnson City is my hands down favorite. I went last week and took a look at their track to see if I could get some inspiration for mine, and oddly enough, the general shape of the track was very similar to the land that I cleared for mine. Darren really knows his stuff and doesn't try to blow smoke up you @$$ just to make a sale. Plus their prices are WAY better than Knoxville!

I live 1 1/2 hours from the Johnson City Hobbytown and 2 hours from the one in Knoxville. I have shopped both and can tell you that the one in Johnson City is my hands down favorite. I went last week and took a look at their track to see if I could get some inspiration for mine, and oddly enough, the general shape of the track was very similar to the land that I cleared for mine. Darren really knows his stuff and doesn't try to blow smoke up you @$$ just to make a sale. Plus their prices are WAY better than Knoxville!
Well, sounds like we found a good one !! ……I know the guy that helped me was in late 20’s, taller , knew his rc stuff…..older guy behind counter very pleasant

I have some pics of the Johnson City Hobbytown track that I took while I was there. I don't know how good they are, but it'll give you the general idea.

These were taken whils standing on their podium. They also have a cool pit area right in front of the podium that you can drive on and do your work without having to bend over.

20210907_123638.jpg

20210907_123633.jpg

Well, sounds like we found a good one !! ……I know the guy that helped me was in late 20’s, taller , knew his rc stuff…..older guy behind counter very pleasant
Darren is an older guy, probably mid-late 50's. Seemed kind of quiet until you crack him open with a few questions. I have seen a few younger fellas there as well. The two that were there when I was doing a lot of shopping were both very friendly and helpful.

I have some pics of the Johnson City Hobbytown track that I took while I was there. I don't know how good they are, but it'll give you the general idea.

These were taken whils standing on their podium. They also have a cool pit area right in front of the podium that you can drive on and do your work without having to bend over.

View attachment 169009

Thaaaaaaaaaaatsssss the one!
View attachment 169010

Darren is an older guy, probably mid-late 50's. Seemed kind of quiet until you crack him open with a few questions. I have seen a few younger fellas there as well. The two that were there when I was doing a lot of shopping were both very friendly and helpful.

My buddy and I were going to hit that place on the way back from a job in Kingsport, TN but ran out of time. I remember it looked like it had a neat storefront to it and looked cool on the inside too from the Google pix.

The closest Hobbytown to us (from Charlotte area) was Mooresville. Experience was pretty good presale when we were kicking tires on getting back in the hobby. All other visits were very meh, the owner seemed good if he's got the time to talk to you but my buddy was given the runaround more times than he should have. He wanted to buy an Outcast one day on a whim but the kid in the shop said they had one but he hadn't put the stickers on it yet so he couldn't sell it to him. My buddy strips the emblems of his 1:1 car, you think he wants stickers applied to his to toy truck?

The Asheville, Hickory and Fayetteville Hobbytown were decent but the most impressive RC shop in the area that I've been to was Anderson RC in Thomasville, NC. Fairly huge selection of many brands.
Go check out Hayes Hobby House in Fayetteville, NC. They are family owned and operated and are some of the friendliest, most knowledgeable humans you can ever hope to deal with. I haven't been there in close to 10 years, but I would be surprised if they have changed much.

View attachment 169009

View attachment 169010

Darren must have been the guy behind the counter…..didn’t say a word till later on in the visit, he was very polite….

the wife told me she wants to take her Senton up there and use their track and make a ‘date day‘ out of it

I said…..sure thing!

Thaaaaaaaaaaatsssss the one!

Last edited:
Heck yeah! That's an awesome way to spend a little time (and probably money) together! If you're ever in the neighborhood after I get my track done, y'all should come check it out! It's quite a bit bigger than the one there (maybe even too big), but I think it's gonna be good.

Heck yeah! That's an awesome way to spend a little time (and probably money) together! If you're ever in the neighborhood after I get my track done, y'all should come check it out! It's quite a bit bigger than the one there (maybe even too big), but I think it's gonna be good.
Too big? Too big? No entiende…..not sure if there is such a thing! 6 and 8 s rigs can cover a lot of ground quick!

you would know with a 6s Kraton…..

you’ll get a kick out of this……they had a 6s Kraton in the store on display…..pretty dusty and dirty…..asked the salesman what’s up with that o e that’s all dirty….

he said that’s the one they use to show potential customers what these rigs can do out on the track….

I replied by saying that’s a good rig to use…

he said yeah, when the test run is done and the customer is amazed, that’s when the salesman says…

yeah, that’s with only one 3S battery, imagine what it’s like when you put a second one in to make it 6S !! 😈😈☠️👻👿

they sell a lot that way, he says. 😎👍🤠😁

By the way……

where is your track?

Last edited:
Yeah they said 1/10 or 1/8, when I mentioned the Mojave they said it might be a bit big.....after looking at it when I left the store I would agree....
Mojo is 1/7. And needs alot of dialing in for a confined track. 5-6 foot wide tracks are too tight IMHO. Steering the XLWB is largely the problem.
Mojo needs a quarter scale track.:ROFLMAO:

Mojo is 1/7. And needs alot of dialing in for a confined track. 5-6 foot wide tracks are too tight IMHO. Steering the XLWB is largely the problem.
Mojo needs a quarter scale track.:ROFLMAO:
Yep…..agree…..even if you turn it down to 50% on the controller…..then it would just be lame…..

Too big? Too big? No entiende…..not sure if there is such a thing! 6 and 8 s rigs can cover a lot of ground quick!

you would know with a 6s Kraton…..

you’ll get a kick out of this……they had a 6s Kraton in the store on display…..pretty dusty and dirty…..asked the salesman what’s up with that o e that’s all dirty….

he said that’s the one they use to show potential customers what these rigs can do out on the track….

I replied by saying that’s a good rig to use…

he said yeah, when the test run is done and the customer is amazed, that’s when the salesman says…

yeah, that’s with only one 3S battery, imagine what it’s like when you put a second one in to make it 6S !! 😈😈☠️👻👿

they sell a lot that way, he says. 😎👍🤠😁

By the way……

where is your track?

That sounds about right! When I first got mine I tried it on 3S at first and was thrilled! Naturally, curiosity got the better of me and I had to try 6S, and haven't done 3S since. We are building our track in one the fields on my farm. The lanes are going to be between 10 and 15 feet wide. I have a build thread on this forum if you want to see what we have so far. It's kind of a slow process, but we are having fun with it and learning as we go. I live way out in the sticks in a "town" called Kyles Ford, TN. If you dona search for "River Place On The Clinch" that will get you really close to my place.

That sounds about right! When I first got mine I tried it on 3S at first and was thrilled! Naturally, curiosity got the better of me and I had to try 6S, and haven't done 3S since. We are building our track in one the fields on my farm. The lanes are going to be between 10 and 15 feet wide. I have a build thread on this forum if you want to see what we have so far. It's kind of a slow process, but we are having fun with it and learning as we go. I live way out in the sticks in a "town" called Kyles Ford, TN. If you dona search for "River Place On The Clinch" that will get you really close to my place.
Sounds like a blast…..you are out in the sticks!
but then……..so am I !

My closest town is Micaville.....a church, 2 stores that really aren't, and 7 houses.....

BUT THEY HAVE A POST OFFICE !!!!!
Love it! Kyles Ford doesn't have any gas stations or anything, but there is an old mercantile/canoe rental/restaurant. The next closest thing is in Sneedville (about half an hour away). They have a Hardee's, pizza place, and 3 gas stations!

Love it! Kyles Ford doesn't have any gas stations or anything, but there is an old mercantile/canoe rental/restaurant. The next closest thing is in Sneedville (about half an hour away). They have a Hardee's, pizza place, and 3 gas stations!
CIVILIZATION!!

It's hard to understand why any staff in a hobby store would treat the public as some do. I live close to two Hobbytown stores in NC......Mooresville and Hickory. Different as night and day......Mooresville is total professionalism and the Hickory store is full of arrogant unbathed jerks. No regards for Covid protocol either last year when I spent 700 bucks ordering a Losi buggy from them. The owner is a lying weasel who wouldn't work with me (after some very false info about delivery times) to try and get another buggy in stock at another store. The Mooresville folks are great but it's a sometimes a traffic nightmare at their location close to I77. I'll definitely make a trip someday to the store you suggested in Thomasville with a stop to get BBQ in Lexington.....a BONUS. Maybe I'll work up the nerve to buy an Arrma buggy like the new one designed by TLR......looks cool.

My buddy and I were going to hit that place on the way back from a job in Kingsport, TN but ran out of time. I remember it looked like it had a neat storefront to it and looked cool on the inside too from the Google pix.

The closest Hobbytown to us (from Charlotte area) was Mooresville. Experience was pretty good presale when we were kicking tires on getting back in the hobby. All other visits were very meh, the owner seemed good if he's got the time to talk to you but my buddy was given the runaround more times than he should have. He wanted to buy an Outcast one day on a whim but the kid in the shop said they had one but he hadn't put the stickers on it yet so he couldn't sell it to him. My buddy strips the emblems of his 1:1 car, you think he wants stickers applied to his to toy truck?

The Asheville, Hickory and Fayetteville Hobbytown were decent but the most impressive RC shop in the area that I've been to was Anderson RC in Thomasville, NC. Fairly huge selection of many brands.

It's hard to understand why any staff in a hobby store would treat the public as some do. I live close to two Hobbytown stores in NC......Mooresville and Hickory. Different as night and day......Mooresville is total professionalism and the Hickory store is full of arrogant unbathed jerks. No regards for Covid protocol either last year when I spent 700 bucks ordering a Losi buggy from them. The owner is a lying weasel who wouldn't work with me (after some very false info about delivery times) to try and get another buggy in stock at another store. The Mooresville folks are great but it's a sometimes a traffic nightmare at their location close to I77. I'll definitely make a trip someday to the store you suggested in Thomasville with a stop to get BBQ in Lexington.....a BONUS. Maybe I'll work up the nerve to buy an Arrma buggy like the new one designed by TLR......looks cool.
It is amazing.to see how different these places.can be.....even if they are the same brand franchise......

I started this thread because I really wanted to shout out a good report on Johnson City TN location....and no I'll will towards the Asheville Hobbytown.....the RC guys there were cool to me....I just wish they had more SQ foot for a store......and the JC TN store has a track next door. BONUS!

As a person who lives literally out in the middle of nowhere....most times I do my purchases online. But my suggestion to you guys is, if you have a hobby store that treats you good, give them a little bit of your business because they rely on it. It made me want to change how I do business and give them some of my money which is another way of giving them my support.

As far as those who have been adequately described as lacking...... Well......you be the judge of what you chose to do.....I know what I WON'T do.....

I'm just glad I have 2 good ones to chose from!!!!😎😊

Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back