What I learned today at the LHS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ I relate 100%. Been there numerous times. In that scenario.
Wanting to "Support your LHS" was a marketting strategy by the Mfrs. and distributors to bolster Sales.
I want to puke every time I hear someone say that.:rolleyes: It became a slogan driven by Mfr's and now Hobbyists like to use that. We are supposedly humbled by the concept. Sure, in perfect world sounds great. Who doesn't want to patronize a mom and pop family shop? With a nice experience spending our $$.
I will patronize any establishment when and where I please. No matter the product or store, not just a LHS. It is just about being a consumer and being treated like one.
I am confident with most of my purchase decisions and very familair with RC in general. I buy online with confidence because many LHS's just suck. I never seen a LHS that could educate me more in this hobby than what I know.. At least in my geographic area. It is rare to find a LHS that caters to my needs/what I want locally. Unfortunately.
Much of this is subjective and many RC'ers depend on a LHS for knowledge. I get that. I see many RC'ers lose interest because of the bad LHS apples out there. Sometimes, not always, a simple phone call before driving an hour or 2 will weed out the worst of them.
I like browsing any LHS I am near by chance in my travels.. I enjoy it. I may develope a good relationship and patronize them. I am always open to that. But it is rare that I will specifically need to go to one for something. If I like the LHS, I may buy something as a last minute in store impulse purchase. Just for the experience.
There just aren't any good LHS's left, near enough for me to drive
If you find one, by all means use them.
I can see how you formed your view point..... I respect you and your input, we have chatted before and you are a vault of rc history and knowledge....

As the original poster of this thread, I found a good RC store, and wanted to share the experience and spread the word. That's all. I was happy buying online 99% of the time, but the experience left me feeling I could give them some of my business and feel good about it.

Believe me, I DO NOT endorse snobby shops, poor business ethics, poor service, etc.

There are many stores and restaurants within an hour of us that will NOT get our business cause of bad service, bad food, crappy attitude, etc. The hardware store closest to us is very convenient, but they won't get my business because they are wanting only certain clientele, and have treated my wife like an idiot .....BAD move!!!
She knows more about the paint she wanted than they will ever know....

I do NOT support those businesses, nor do I encourage others to do so.

But I did find a good hobby shop, so, if anyone else finds one, just a thought to give them a few coin...

@SrC , this is not aimed at you, even though it is in response to your post. I have learned the majority of what I know from guys like you, and from this forum.......from trusted resources ....it would take a good while for me to trust a salesman, if that would even be possible.

I like to be very informed when I go to purchase something....

I am always open to what you, @SrC and folks like you have to say.....you have been very helpful to me and this forum

It was just a thought.....I wish all businesses and hobby shops were good ones.....

I know what gets my money, and what won't...

My GF is a nurse (RN), but took a position outside the bedside years ago. My son is a step down RN and frequently has to care for C19 patients. I think this will eventually wind down to an endemic just like the other coronaviruses that we live with. We will all get immunity one way or another. Either by taking the vaccine, contracting the virus naturally, or both. I believe I had C19 in April 2020 and also have two doses of Moderna in March/April 2021. I will likely take a booster if offered/needed just to be as careful as possible. I can’t afford being sick as I’m self employed. I didn’t have any side effects from the vaccine other than general soreness at the injection site. While I took the vaccine I am not evangelical about it. Everyone needs to do what’s best for themselves. I just hope everyone is healthy and happy in life. ✌🏻

Thank you to all front line workers, nurses, docs, techs, first responders, retail workers, food workers, transportation, et al.
I like your thinking about Covid JD74.......I resisted even thinking about the vaccine for many months but changed my mind when I started hearing that the vax would help you recover easier if you did get Covid and possibly keep you out of the hospital. All that was confirmed by my doctor also. It needs to remain a personal decision just like anything else in life as you state without pressure from political extremes. Our vaccine giver did prepare us for our second dose coming up in a few weeks....she said we may experience some flu like symptoms. I went through all that years ago with a regular flu shot and it wasn't a pleasant experience......hoping we don't have to deal with that.

@Jon NC RC,You wrote very well, and raised very good points. :) Great Thread. So important in this hobby to understand what your topic bears.
If I lived near you and your LHS, I would absolutely patronize them.(y)(y)(y)
We need more good reviews of LHS's. You did just that. (y)
And I like to see and touch things in this hobby also.. It's all part of the fun.:LOL:

I like your thinking about Covid JD74.......I resisted even thinking about the vaccine for many months but changed my mind when I started hearing that the vax would help you recover easier if you did get Covid and possibly keep you out of the hospital. All that was confirmed by my doctor also. It needs to remain a personal decision just like anything else in life as you state without pressure from political extremes. Our vaccine giver did prepare us for our second dose coming up in a few weeks....she said we may experience some flu like symptoms. I went through all that years ago with a regular flu shot and it wasn't a pleasant experience......hoping we don't have to deal with that.
My GF had the vaccine flu for a day or two. My son had a headache for a few hours. I had zero issues, other than maybe felt just a bit less than 100% energy wise, but nothing I could put a finger on or would hold me back from any activity. My point is some get symptoms, some don't. They say the older you are, the more likely you will have symptoms, but since my GF is older than me and my son is obviously younger, our household (anecdotally) didn't seem to jive with that info. All I know is that I have been in close contact with C19 infected after the fact and have yet to be reinfected. Hoping to stay that way. My case in April 2020 was the sickest I've been since my early 20's when I had meningitis.

My GF is a nurse (RN), but took a position outside the bedside years ago. My son is a step down RN and frequently has to care for C19 patients. I think this will eventually wind down to an endemic just like the other coronaviruses that we live with. We will all get immunity one way or another. Either by taking the vaccine, contracting the virus naturally, or both. I believe I had C19 in April 2020 and also have two doses of Moderna in March/April 2021. I will likely take a booster if offered/needed just to be as careful as possible. I can’t afford being sick as I’m self employed. I didn’t have any side effects from the vaccine other than general soreness at the injection site. While I took the vaccine I am not evangelical about it. Everyone needs to do what’s best for themselves. I just hope everyone is healthy and happy in life. ✌🏻

Thank you to all front line workers, nurses, docs, techs, first responders, retail workers, food workers, transportation, et al.

I cannot tell you how many patients I have told it is every person's right in the US to refuse or deny any medicine, treatment, or therapy for any or no reason" in the last 20 years...

Somehow that fact has been put aside in this controversial time...

Also, having seen many people vaccinated , most had no bad reaction,some felt queasy, one developed open sores on her back.....in other words, it's highly individualized how you will react, won't know till you do it. Most likely be mild symptoms if at all.

All the best in whatever you chose....
@Jon NC RC,You wrote very well, and raised very good points. :) Great Thread. So important in this hobby to understand what your topic bears.
If I lived near you and your LHS, I would absolutely patronize them.(y)(y)(y)
We need more good reviews of LHS's. You did just that. (y)
And I like to see and touch things in this hobby also.. It's all part of the fun.:LOL:
I agree....can't do that looking at computer screen ..

I can see how you formed your view point..... I respect you and your input, we have chatted before and you are a vault of rc history and knowledge....

As the original poster of this thread, I found a good RC store, and wanted to share the experience and spread the word. That's all. I was happy buying online 99% of the time, but the experience left me feeling I could give them some of my business and feel good about it.

Believe me, I DO NOT endorse snobby shops, poor business ethics, poor service, etc.

There are many stores and restaurants within an hour of us that will NOT get our business cause of bad service, bad food, crappy attitude, etc. The hardware store closest to us is very convenient, but they won't get my business because they are wanting only certain clientele, and have treated my wife like an idiot .....BAD move!!!
She knows more about the paint she wanted than they will ever know....

I do NOT support those businesses, nor do I encourage others to do so.

But I did find a good hobby shop, so, if anyone else finds one, just a thought to give them a few coin...

@SrC , this is not aimed at you, even though it is in response to your post. I have learned the majority of what I know from guys like you, and from this forum.......from trusted resources ....it would take a good while for me to trust a salesman, if that would even be possible.

I like to be very informed when I go to purchase something....

I am always open to what you, @SrC and folks like you have to say.....you have been very helpful to me and this forum

It was just a thought.....I wish all businesses and hobby shops were good ones.....

I know what gets my money, and what won't...
I am certainly a novice at this hobby but I've learned a lot reading forums and watching you tube instructional videos. I thank anyone who volunteers their knowledge in any form. I've actually only been to two shops (both Hobbytowns) one very good and one pathetically unprofessional. You are correct....it's hard to trust what a salesman might say because they are simply trying to get your money at that point. It's probably also tough on most shops right now with so much stuff being on backorder. I'd like to maybe upgrade my motor and esc to a Castle model over the stock Spectrum I have now but the shop I would visit appears to have no stock so I'll just wait. I'd like some first hand knowledge to make sure it would work with the rest of the electronics in my car before I make a costly mistake. By the way, I own a Losi buggy but I enjoy this forum so much. If I was starting over I would probably go with Arrma. Most of the general stuff is similar between to the brands.

Off topic regarding C19.
My wife refuses to take the Vax. Says I am the sheep ( a Politcial statement) She watches too much news all day long. We both have the same Dr. He has explained it well enough. She isolates me and my son. Wears a mask in the home. I cant walk near the kitchen or her personal space. Freaks out. She washes every single product brought into the home, with gallons of alcohol. Washes any product from the food store in the sink.. Pretty much ruins much of it constantly in the process. Stuff must sit in out side in the air for days before being put away. Yet the home is fairly dirty, the bathrooms are horrible. Her hygiene is way off. I cant keep cleaning the bathroom. So I clean it before I use it and after, like always. So I rarely use the main bathroom except to shower. I am at a loss. here. Covid is partly responsible here. But clearly wife is not able to cope in a reasonable fashion.
I did Vax back in April. Never hesitated. I was eager for a vax to develope fast.
My son is only 11yo. NY requires age 12 for a standard non Pediatric Vax. City schools require it. Or my son when 12 yo this Nov will be essentially segregated if he has no Vax proof. Wife says no to vax him, I am on the fence. I would feel better if there was a pediatric grade C19 Vax for childern. He is not at risk for anyhealth issues. She fears the side affect with the heart as some vaxxed children have showed signs of this within 2 weeks of administering.
As rare as it is to happen, like the many side affects some fear.
75 PERCENT of americans have had at least 1 shot of 2 as we speak.
100 mil. have natural C19 Immunity. Per CDC.
There are aprox 332,772,000 people in the US as I speak.
If we do the math and control illegal migration that is Un-Vaxxed and untested, this pandemic will become endemic. What remains is just politically motivated.
I million Ilegal immigrants have entered the US in the past 8-9 months without any Vax or test requiremnt and simply released into the general US Population. Uncontrolled. Just Irresponsible.
Herd Immunity is rarely spoken about. It is a naturally occurring process in biology.
Why is it that sucessful and effective Treatment Meds are not widely used for postive cases and people are just sent home to convelesce? Using Tylenol. A joke.

Be careful to separate and recognize the Politics and the Science.
Yes it will always be a personal call when it comes to our health and our childrens.
Just my take.

Last edited:
My GF had the vaccine flu for a day or two. My son had a headache for a few hours. I had zero issues, other than maybe felt just a bit less than 100% energy wise, but nothing I could put a finger on or would hold me back from any activity. My point is some get symptoms, some don't. They say the older you are, the more likely you will have symptoms, but since my GF is older than me and my son is obviously younger, our household (anecdotally) didn't seem to jive with that info. All I know is that I have been in close contact with C19 infected after the fact and have yet to be reinfected. Hoping to stay that way. My case in April 2020 was the sickest I've been since my early 20's when I had meningitis.

I am certainly a novice at this hobby but I've learned a lot reading forums and watching you tube instructional videos. I thank anyone who volunteers their knowledge in any form. I've actually only been to two shops (both Hobbytowns) one very good and one pathetically unprofessional. You are correct....it's hard to trust what a salesman might say because they are simply trying to get your money at that point. It's probably also tough on most shops right now with so much stuff being on backorder. I'd like to maybe upgrade my motor and esc to a Castle model over the stock Spectrum I have now but the shop I would visit appears to have no stock so I'll just wait. I'd like some first hand knowledge to make sure it would work with the rest of the electronics in my car before I make a costly mistake. By the way, I own a Losi buggy but I enjoy this forum so much. If I was starting over I would probably go with Arrma. Most of the general stuff is similar between to the brands.
There's a LOT of good stuff on here... And it usually doesn't take long to figure out if someone knows what they're talking about or not

What Losi do you have? I wanted a Lasernut in the worst way when they first came out, DBXLE 2.0 is super cool....the Tenacity DB Pro is very highly rated.....

This is short. Not as well spoken but my .02. I was scared to vac. But I have a 23yr old Autistic son and we have to do what keeps him safest. The science shows better results being vaxed than not. Couldn't take the chance of the isolation for him (or me🤷). Phizer shots. Im 38 wife is 40. 1st shot arm soreness. General icky. Me. Wife felt little more icky. Son nothing. 2nd shot me- 1 day bed ridden. 2nd day felt terrible. 3rs day fine. Wife-bout the same as first shot. Son- nothing.

Off topic regarding C19.
My wife refuses to take the Vax. Says I am the sheep ( a Politcial statement) She watches too much news all day long. We both have the same Dr. He has explained it well enough.
I did Vax back in April.
My son is only 11yo. NY requires age 12 for a standard non Pediatric Vax. City schools require it. Or my son when 12 yo this Nov will be essentially segregated if he has no Vax proof. Wife says no to vax him, I am on the fence. I would feel better if there as a pediatric grade C19 Vax for childern. He is not at risk for anyhealth issues. She fears the side affect with the heart as some vaxxed children have howed signs of this within 2 weeks of administering.
As rare as it is to happen, like the many side affects some fear.
75 million americans have had at least 1 shot of 2 as we speak.
100 mil. have natural C19 Immunity.
There are aprox 332,772,000 people in the US as I speak.
If we do the math and controll illegal migration that is Un Vaxxed and untested, this pandemic will become endemic. What remains is just politically motivated.
I million Ilegal immigrants have entered the US in the past 8-9 months with any Vax or test requiremnt and simply released into the general US Population. Uncontrolled. Irresponsible.
Herd Immunity is rarely spoken about. It is a naturally occurring process in biology.
Why is it that sucessful andeffective Treatment Meds are not widely used for postive cases and people are just sent home to convelesce?

Be careful to separate and recognize the Politics and the Science.
Yes it will always be a personal call when it comes to our health and our childrens.
Just my take.
I will try and stay "apolitical" in this but I also see this rebound in Covid (with new mutation) as a direct relationship with increased illegal migration. Look at the "graphs" on TV news about numbers of cases. Things had seemingly leveled off flat in early months of 2021 but as our borders were opened up with a policy change, cases of Covid began increasing. It's a tough subject to talk about and not offend anyone or start an argument but sooner or later somebody with authority is going to have to begin interpreting the facts without using political bias. Our safety as a society should come first well before the silly world of politics

This is short. Not as well spoken but my .02. I was scared to vac. But I have a 23yr old Autistic son and we have to do what keeps him safest. The science shows better results being vaxed than not. Couldn't take the chance of the isolation for him (or me🤷). Phizer shots. Im 38 wife is 40. 1st shot arm soreness. General icky. Me. Wife felt little more icky. Son nothing. 2nd shot me- 1 day bed ridden. 2nd day felt terrible. 3rs day fine. Wife-bout the same as first shot. Son- nothing.
It’s a hard decision

but I respect whatever people decide

^^^ agree completely. The world has become dysfunctional. We as a country have become dysfunctional, And ultimately right down to the family unit.
Unfortunately, the liablity with open borders and health risks that result is more important to us as a country. Security is another issue altogether. A politcal one
Politically it is intentional by desgn. This is no mistake. No accident. Not a mistake by the current "seat filler" POTUS. Any reasonable US Citizen can see this. I don't care what side of the isle you hail from.
:)
I will try and stay "apolitical" in this but I also see this rebound in Covid (with new mutation) as a direct relationship with increased illegal migration. Look at the "graphs" on TV news about numbers of cases. Things had seemingly leveled off flat in early months of 2021 but as our borders were opened up with a policy change, cases of Covid began increasing. It's a tough subject to talk about and not offend anyone or start an argument but sooner or later somebody with authority is going to have to begin interpreting the facts without using political bias. Our safety as a society should come first well before the silly world of politics
^^^

Last edited:
There's a LOT of good stuff on here... And it usually doesn't take long to figure out if someone knows what they're talking about or not

What Losi do you have? I wanted a Lasernut in the worst way when they first came out, DBXLE 2.0 is super cool....the Tenacity DB Pro is very highly rated.....
I have the Tenacity DB Pro buggy/truggy, whatever it is called. I love it....just fly around our yard and the neighborhood street...no racetrack since I can't drive it very well. I've done a lot to it with Exotek steering with bearings, upgrades to metal parts in the steering and rear hubs, upgraded dogbones with MIP stuff, several sets of tires, etc. I've recently adapted and installed a ProLine Monster Fusion truck body on it. Supposed to be for a Traxxas Slash but it worked. I've learned a lot reading forum stuff and watching videos and enjoy the time I spend working on it. Never dreamed I'd be rebuilding and servicing shocks and differentials but I can do it. I got this buggy so I could have some fun with my son who has one of the huge Traxxas Maxx trucks. That's all been put on hold for now.......he doesn't have time to play due to his job taking so much time but someday things will ease up.

^^^ agree completely. The world has become dysfunctional. We as a country have become dysfunctional, And ultimately right down to the family unit.
Unfortunately, the liablity with open borders and health risks that result is more important to us as a country. Security is another issue altogether. A politcal one
Politically it is intentional by desgn. This is no mistake. No accident. Not a mistake by the current "seat filler" POTUS. Any reasonable US Citizen can see this. I don't care what side of the isle you hail from.
:)

^^^
I agree.....and again trying to stay neutral politically (even though I'm not but I won't go there)....you are exactly correct....this policy change was done for a purpose. They definitely have an agenda. The sad part is that the illegals don't always realize that they are just "pawns" for use by the politicos while all they are seeking is a better life and an escape from poverty and tyranny in some cases. Just wish they would do it legally like so many before them have. I feel the citizenry would accept it easier.

Legal immigration is not a new concept. You cant fly into the States Illegally that way. For security and Health reasons.
Yet the border is OPEN????? And if we question it, we are racist???? What a slap in the face. Like we are all dummies. And I blame the press for that.
Can I quote POTUS? "Come on Man". His favorite line.
Well I say the same to him, Come on, Man! What gives here?
It has been said, this illegal immigration will bolster our economy. What a joke. Surely there is a better excuse than this. We can't even take care of our Homeless citizens and the poverty we have. Sure, just print more money to support all the impoverished Illegals?? and keep inflation growing. What dumb move.:LOL: We are taxed highest in the world. Have little to show for it as US citizens. We just roll over all the time. I garranty this will blow up big time in someones face there at the top. We hit rock bottom or at least close to it. The US is destined for a huge change. Historically a country can only exist successfully for aprox 400-500 years. Then it tanks. We are here guys. Put on your seat belts. History repeats the cycle. This is proven.
I can honestly say I was in a better financial position 2016-2019. We all were. How can anyone dispute this. Covid or no covid.

Last edited:
^^^ Great to have a son to share this with.
It is......he is an Army veteran and he's making some big bucks working for an independent logistics company that handles all the Lowes home deliveries. He helps manage the truck fleet and drivers as they make their daily deliveries to peoples' homes over most of western NC. It's mostly appliances that are delivered and installed and it's stressful but he has thrown himself into it and his bosses appreciate him since he has been promoted several times in just a year or so. I'm proud of him....he and his wife just closed on their "dream home" on a local golf course. It took a long time since the real estate market is on fire here in NC. Ridiculous amounts being paid for homes but that's just the way it is all over I suppose.

^^^ Great to have a son to share this with.
I share with the wife.....
It is......he is an Army veteran and he's making some big bucks working for an independent logistics company that handles all the Lowes home deliveries. He helps manage the truck fleet and drivers as they make their daily deliveries to peoples' homes over most of western NC. It's mostly appliances that are delivered and installed and it's stressful but he has thrown himself into it and his bosses appreciate him since he has been promoted several times in just a year or so. I'm proud of him....he and his wife just closed on their "dream home" on a local golf course. It took a long time since the real estate market is on fire here in NC. Ridiculous amounts being paid for homes but that's just the way it is all over I suppose.
Yeah, we built new in Asheville...... got tired of people building on top of each other..... we thought of moving, and when they built a 600 unit apt building 8 blocks from our home on a 2 lane street that will NEVER be able to be widened (in the mtns, remember) we decided to sell and move to the country. We put an outrageous price on the house, got it, and now we enjoy living in the country.....in peace and quiet.....the prices here are going up, but are nowhere near Asheville prices.....

We are risking getting this shut down here folks. I’m not going to add to the discussion regarding quasi political issues as we have been asked before not to wander that way. Hope you all find your way and stay safe and happy. F!?@ politicians of all types. 🤘🏻

You and your wife sound a lot like my wife and me. We got real lucky....I was already retired and she retired about a month before all this hit last year so we didn't worry about work exposure. We also don't care to be around large groups of people......I haven't for years so this isolation hasn't been too rough on us. It was tough at Christmas last year with small groups of family and probably will be again this year. I too have become "wordy" on forums and emails to my relatives and friends but it's a substitute at least for not being face to face with them.
Nice! And you’re right, the holiday seasons are a good bit…different now. The only other thing I miss is going to music in the park lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back