What is a better upgrade motor for kraton 6s blx stock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cwbyup19781

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey gang hows everyone doing? I have a stock kraton 6s blx i would like to upgrade the motor from the stock 2050kv to probably an ez run max brushless 4985SL 1650Kv. Would this be a good alternative for the stock and be able to put a bit more torque behind the tires? Could i go any lower, for example to an 1100kv without screwing up my esc? The esc is also an upgrade i just got it today in fact. Its the ez run Max6. Also upgraded the servo to a powerhobby 729mbl high volt brushless steel gear high torque with aluminum case. Any suggestions or recommendations and maybe some tips, DOs and DONTs would also be helpful thanks yall

But I'm bias :LOL:
20220516_141831.jpg

Hey gang hows everyone doing? I have a stock kraton 6s blx i would like to upgrade the motor from the stock 2050kv to probably an ez run max brushless 4985SL 1650Kv. Would this be a good alternative for the stock and be able to put a bit more torque behind the tires? Could i go any lower, for example to an 1100kv without screwing up my esc? The esc is also an upgrade i just got it today in fact. Its the ez run Max6. Also upgraded the servo to a powerhobby 729mbl high volt brushless steel gear high torque with aluminum case. Any suggestions or recommendations and maybe some tips, DOs and DONTs would also be helpful thanks yall
Max 6 and 1650KV 4985 motor from HW. 23T pinion. BEAST MODE. That's what I run on my Mojave EXB. Wheelies across the park. That's how powerful that set up is. On 6s

I have the Castle MMX 8s with 1717 1650kv in my Kraton 6s, and it's a beast. Since you are new here, I'll repeat what this system can do: from a standing stop on grass, on 6s with a quick mashing of the trigger, it will do a 360 degree back flip, land on the wheels, and keep going. I had to turn the punch level down a notch so the power goes to moving the Kraton forward, not into wheelies. I'm running the Powerhobby 729MBL servo.

The max6 is what I had in my 6s perfect fit and would blow tires left and right with that set up she was a beast

Welcome👍. The Max6 /4985 combo has way more power than stock. Hope you can control your throttle finger or all you’ll be doing are wheelies all day long🤙.
Ok i appreciate that side note my friend. Is there a step above the 4985 motor thats still better than stock or would the 4985 be the sweet spot as far as torque and speed?

CC MMX8S/1717 1650KV combo:)
Hows it holding up for you bud? What gear setup are you using?
Keep on top of your diffs. That combo is beastly.
What do you mean by keep on top of the diffs? All of them? Or just the center?
Max 6 and 1650KV 4985 motor from HW. 23T pinion. BEAST MODE. That's what I run on my Mojave EXB. Wheelies across the park. That's how powerful that set up is. On 6s
Good to know buddy. How long have you been running that setup? Have you broken anything in the gearbox or burned up the esc or motor yet?
I have the Castle MMX 8s with 1717 1650kv in my Kraton 6s, and it's a beast. Since you are new here, I'll repeat what this system can do: from a standing stop on grass, on 6s with a quick mashing of the trigger, it will do a 360 degree back flip, land on the wheels, and keep going. I had to turn the punch level down a notch so the power goes to moving the Kraton forward, not into wheelies. I'm running the Powerhobby 729MBL servo.
Thats awesome man. Thats the same servo i just got myself lol. How do i go about turning down the kick on the esc so its not backflipping over itself? Thanks for the help my friend. Yes im new to kratons but not new to rc been into rc since i was 15 stopped when i was 23 and just got back into it a month ago

Last edited:
Hows it holding up for you bud? What gear setup are you using?

What do you mean by keep on top of the diffs? All of them? Or just the center?

Good to know buddy. How long have you been running that setup? Have you broken anything in the gearbox or burned up the esc or motor yet?

Thats awesome man. Thats the same servo i just got myself lol. How do i go about turning down the kick on the esc so its not backflipping over itself? Thanks for the help my friend. Yes im new to kratons but not new to rc been into rc since i was 15 stopped when i was 23 and just got back into it a month ago
Nope. On 6s it's not a problem for the Max 6 and 1650KV motor. Diffs seem to be holding up fine 👍

I appreciate all the advice and tips yall. I just pulled the trigger on the hobbywing 4985 1650kv. I decided to go with that rather than castle bc i already have the max6 esc and didnt want to send it back and wait longer to get the cc combo 1650kv version. Plus ive been told by several ppl that if you hook up the cc wrong (bc its sensored) that youll burn up the motor and they wont replace it, but on the flipside if you hook up the hw version wrong it wont fry it because the hw is sensorless? Idk about all that but im just going by what some friends have told me and i don't wanna throw away money lol. Not to mention idk what the differences and pros and cons on a sensored vs sensorless is anyway so for right now with this being my first rc truck in 20yrs ill play it safe so i don't screw up a brand new motor lol. Also i noticed two of yalls posts arrmarookie43 went with a 23t pinion gear set up and N. Mango went with a 17t gear setup. What are the pros and cons of each if yall don't mind me asking?

Sensored mostly just gives you more precise throttle control at low speed.

And I mean by keep on top of your diffs is make sure you do your maintenance and check up on em every once in a while. Keep em shimmed up where they need to be. That's a big step up in power especially if you plan to run 8s in it somewhere down the line. 👍

Sensored mostly just gives you more precise throttle control at low speed.

And I mean by keep on top of your diffs is make sure you do your maintenance and check up on em every once in a while. Keep em shimmed up where they need to be. That's a big step up in power especially if you plan to run 8s in it somewhere down the line. 👍
Ok thanks man. No this is just for my 6s kraton. Im not sure what 8s i want to get tho. I like the outcast but im looking at the xmaxx too (don't hate me! LoL)

Also i noticed two of yalls posts arrmarookie43 went with a 23t pinion gear set up and N. Mango went with a 17t gear setup. What are the pros and cons of each if yall don't mind me asking?
If you get a few different size pinion gears, you'll be able to play around with different gears to see what works best for your driving style.
Stock is 12t pinion I believe. With that said you could gear up with a better/stronger ESC/Motor combo.
The smaller your pinion the more torque but less top speed. In turn the higher the pinion the faster top end but loss of torque.
Too small and the motor is screaming at top rpm's but not reaching a really high speed so motor temp will get high.
On the other hand too high of a pinion you'll get good top end speed but at the motor working harder to get there which again creates high temps.
Finding that balance is the trick and only you will figure that out with how you drive.
Keep a temp gun handy and have some fun testing different gearing:)

i have that combo on my kraton exb and rarely hit 3/4 throttle lol it’s insanely powerful. You might want to put a heavy center diff oil like 500k and like 50k front and 20k rear. Or what you like.
I have 20mil for center diff but idk what i have for front and back. Im atm working on putting my front shocks back onto an m2c tower upgrade and having a bit of trouble so the diffs im not gonna touch yet, or anytime soon lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back