Raider What is causing handling issues in the loose stuff for Raider XL BLX?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudman

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
I'm running larger wheels and tires on my Raider XL BLX but I'm all over the place in the loose stuff. Running Pro-Line Trenchers on the back and getting way overdriven. Have tried Dirtrunner fronts (ribbed) and rears (pin spikes) on the front but not getting any steering hook-up. What have people been running on the fronts to get good steering hook-up in loose stuff?

Both of the above combos have been great on pavement (asphalt). Tried the Dirtrunner rears on the back of the XL in a road construction area but it was tearing off the pin spikes so took 'em off.

Last edited:
Now I'm beginning to think that maybe the T-Bone Racing front bumper I put on could be causing the front end to lift, taking away my steering. Anyone else have the T-Bone bumper on their Raider? What are you experiencing?

I hope you are wrong about the t-bone bumper. I just ordered the front and rear for mine.
Ok. It's probably not the bumper, else my front end would be lifting when I'm on-road too - which is going at a much faster speed than when I am off-road.

This is just a common problem with 2wd buggies, you need to move the weight bias more towards the front to increase front traction. You can buy stick on weights and put them on the front of the buggy, you do want to make sure to keep them as low as possible and not add to much that you nose dive off jumps.

Hi there, may I ask what you mean by over driven? I have had trenchers on a few vehicles and have found Badlands to work much better in general. Not sure what it is, perhaps simply too big...too much rolling inertia unless the truck is massive as well.

I also ended up using a Traxxas tx/rx with AVC on my Raider XL. On low traction surfaces keeps it way way straighter. Check this video...

Cheers

Hi there, may I ask what you mean by over driven? I have had trenchers on a few vehicles and have found Badlands to work much better in general. Not sure what it is, perhaps simply too big...too much rolling inertia unless the truck is massive as well.

I also ended up using a Traxxas tx/rx with AVC on my Raider XL. On low traction surfaces keeps it way way straighter. Check this video...

Cheers
I would really like to know how you got AVC to work with a Traxxas transmitter and receiver being as AVC is built into Spektrum receivers. Did you mean TSM?

I was reading that and was like wait a minute.

But yeah avc and tsm are nice.
If you look around on ebay you can get the Traxxas Tqi transmitter, 5 channel receiver, Bluetooth module, the temp sensor, voltage sensor, telemetry trigger magnet and speed sensor for right around $70. The temp and voltage sensor are easy to attach to any vehicle, the speed sensor not so much, you would first have to find a place to mount the trigger magnet to the spur, then you have to find a place to mount the sensor so it reads the magnet, then you would have to mess around with the settings to get it properly calibrated. You would probably have better luck with the GPS module.

I haven't looked at the AVC because they use the new style DX2E and the new DX2E is not a good controller at all compared to the older one. It doesn't have the same feel to it since they removed the rubber grip. Doesn't even feel to have the same quality either, it just feels like a New Bright controller.

I bought a used Slash 4x4 for my son. It came TSM compatible, but honestly not much need for traction control on a 4x4. Popped it into my raider XL, works great... You can adjust the degree of assistance if you like less control or even disable.

In Canada on eBay 60$ for a Traxxas tsm RX/tx, but make sure you but the Bluetooth compatible... Then you need the TSM Bluetooth upgrade. Probably about a $100 total. I like the Traxxas radios better than the Tactics receivers arrma uses...THEY feel like cheap new brite. As for Spektrum, I have an older style DX2E - it feels cheapish but about right given it's cost... But what keeps me from going AVC is the cost of their receivers. I use a Futaba 3pl for most of my other cars (incl my Talion) and it is cheap but great.

Cheers
Hi. Thank you for your input. What I meant by overdriven is that when power is applied the rear end starts to slide out to one side or the other without the steering being able to keep the front end pointed in the direction desired. If I start off slowly the front end will keep track but as soon as I start accelerating the rear end starts to come around. It's hard to tell from your video but it looks like your course is more packed down. My course is really narrow and has a lot of ruts and bumps. That coupled with the loose top cover is probably making a big difference in handling.

I didn't really see much difference between TSM on and off in your video. Maybe it's more of a thing you feel in the radio than a mechanical thing in the buggy?

Those Trenchers you are running, are they installed on 17mm hex hub wheels? If so, what did you find to use to convert the buggy to 17mm?

Again though I think TSM/AVC really only are useful on RWD vehicles.

I use the stock hex size and the TEAM/AVC definitely helps out in low bite. Another thing I recall was the punch setting was a bit high and when I reduced it I had more launch control.

Does the raider have a tunable
I bought a used Slash 4x4 for my son. It came TSM compatible, but honestly not much need for traction control on a 4x4. Popped it into my raider XL, works great... You can adjust the degree of assistance if you like less control or even disable.

In Canada on eBay 60$ for a Traxxas tsm RX/tx, but make sure you but the Bluetooth compatible... Then you need the TSM Bluetooth upgrade. Probably about a $100 total. I like the Traxxas radios better than the Tactics receivers arrma uses...THEY feel like cheap new brite. As for Spektrum, I have an older style DX2E - it feels cheapish but about right given it's cost... But what keeps me from going AVC is the cost of their receivers. I use a Futaba 3pl for most of my other cars (incl my Talion) and it is cheap but great.
Yeah I think the cheapest avc receiver is right around $60 or so.
This is what I was talking about in my other post. I was wrong it doesn't include the trigger magnet and it's a 2 channel receiver. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/142606916184

3 channel version https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/272253479368

Last edited:
That video is not mine, but it gave me the idea for AVC/TSM. Again, I haven't stripped hexes yet...but I am running Badlands not Trenchers. I played around with 17mm MIP adapters on my Slash 4x4....might work on the Raider.

Yep, essentially Gyros... But the advantage of using a aerial gyro is you can use whatever receiver and radio you want. Traxxas and Spektrum are just easier being that they are stock on most of their receivers now.

Whats the stock radio on a rtr blx? Im sure the gyro i ordered works for any rx too. Never tried a gyro on a car. Interesting.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back