What is causing this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pug

Very Active Member
Hospitality Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Typhon 3s
D0558BA2-EA9D-4C81-BA06-FCFD6F6379E3.jpeg

Some pieces are sorta printing, others are not at all! Ender 3 Pro, 205c nozzle, 55c bed, overture PLA plus, 60mm/s print speed

I think I fixed it, the extruder gear was too tight and was grinding the filament, I loosened it, and it seems good so far.

To me it looks like your z offset is too small and your bed may not be level? Some of that first layer is so thin and skimpy. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Bed not level for sure. Top parts the brim is thick (bed too low) bottom parts brim is too thin (bed too high).

Do a "paper level", then download and print a level test. Adjust the level as the printer is printing each corner, so you get proper squish and not too thin. Then you should be good.

Bed level test, you may need to scale XY in Cura to fit your print bed -
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2187071
I think I fixed it, the extruder gear was too tight and was grinding the filament, I loosened it, and it seems good so far.
If the bed is too high, and the nozzle is dragging the bed, you extruder can't push the proper amount of filament out - it will slip/grind. The fix is to lower/level the bed, so you filament can escape the nozzle.

Bed not level for sure. Top parts the brim is thick (bed too low) bottom parts brim is too thin (bed too high).

Do a "paper level", then download and print a level test. Adjust the level as the printer is printing each corner, so you get proper squish and not too thin. Then you should be good.

Bed level test, you may need to scale XY in Cura to fit your print bed -
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2187071
I leveled it, the issue was that the extruder gear was grinding down the filament and made it too thin by the time it got to the extruder. I loosened it up and it’s printing pretty well so far.

I leveled it, the issue was that the extruder gear was grinding down the filament and made it too thin by the time it got to the extruder. I loosened it up and it’s printing pretty well so far.
The extruder should never change the size of your filament. That would take an extreme amount of spring pressure to do so. Not only that, but I’m pretty sure your extruder gear is beveled and can’t really deform the material it’s feeding to a great extent. Is your spool free spinning? Maybe the roll was bound?

The extruder should never change the size of your filament. That would take an extreme amount of spring pressure to do so. Not only that, but I’m pretty sure your extruder gear is beveled and can’t really deform the material it’s feeding to a great extent. Is your spool free spinning? Maybe the roll was bound?
It isn’t beveled, it’s sorta like a pinion gear. I loosened the spring pressure and it isn’t grinding as much. The spool is inside of a heating box that lets it roll.

It isn’t beveled, it’s sorta like a pinion gear. I loosened the spring pressure and it isn’t grinding as much. The spool is inside of a heating box that lets it roll.
Most drive gears I’ve seen have this bevel

BC3C4693-1801-4ACD-A3BC-FA5959594069.png

I don’t have one like that.View attachment 185801
Sure you do…

DE6CDC27-B035-46D7-AEDE-C4BC18D0CE24.jpeg

Also, I believe you are over extruding your filament, which is why it’s shredding / slipping on the filament, not due to roller tension, if anything the lack of tension.

What your issue truly is is bed level and z offset IMO. This leads to the nozzle being blocked/clogged by the bed being too close, leading to the extruder gear slipping and chewing up the filament.

Sure you do…

View attachment 185802
Also, I believe you are over extruding your filament, which is why it’s shredding / slipping on the filament, not due to roller tension, if anything the lack of tension.

What your issue truly is is bed level and z offset IMO. This leads to the nozzle being blocked/clogged by the bed being too close, leading to the extruder gear slipping and chewing up the filament.
I think it’s the filament, this spool has always been a bit finicky. It’s cheap filament, my Hatchbox prints much better than this Overture.

Yes, this. but, if the printer is now printing good, then good. (y)

From the looks of it.. you're having your printer print a bit too fast..
Your hotend is not melting that filament quick enough to keep up with the speed you've set.

Try upping your temperature a bit (~215°C).. and slow down your print speed.
I've crank down my initial speed (1st layer) at 15mm/s then after that it's ramps up to 35mm/s as your nominal print speed to have better consistency.
You're be surprised how even "bad filament" will be better handled when you do.
Give it a shot and see.

From the looks of it.. you're having your printer print a bit too fast..
Your hotend is not melting that filament quick enough to keep up with the speed you've set.

Try upping your temperature a bit (~215°C).. and slow down your print speed.
I've crank down my initial speed (1st layer) at 15mm/s then after that it's ramps up to 35mm/s as your nominal print speed to have better consistency.
You're be surprised how even "bad filament" will be better handled when you do.
Give it a shot and see.
I lowered the speed, it was previously at 215c, I bumped it up to 220c. The print speed is 50mm/s I believe. It was at 60mm/s before! Thanks!

^
Alright.
Keep us in the loop, let us know how it turns out.

Ok, so the print turned out perfect with no layer lines! I think the tension was the issue, the gear was destroying the filament.

Ok, so the print turned out perfect with no layer lines! I think the tension was the issue, the gear was destroying the filament.
If the tension was too high, it wouldn’t slip. Reducing the tension is just letting it slip with less damage. Your e steps need checked or calibrated

If the tension was too high, it wouldn’t slip. Reducing the tension is just letting it slip with less damage. Your e steps need checked or calibrated
I checked my esteps and they are way too high… I need to recalibrate it, I will do it tomorrow as something is printing right now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back