Granite What is most durable out of the box granite v3 blx or k6s v5?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotwheel85

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Hi!

Been little back and forward against granite 3s blx v3 or the kraton 6s v5.

The main issue for me is that i can get k6s for 20% off the price, granite is not on any summersale.

So i was thinking k6s is a done deal.

truck is for my son, and one moment he want a lighter smaller truck he can fly with, then he want a bigger one to drive more carefully. He cant decide and neither can i.

I don't know anything about the granite 3s other then the v3 seems to have a lot of upgrades, what is neccesary here to upgrade at bare minimum before the first run?

With k6s it would be aluminium rear and front braces, and new diff oils.

We leaving in two days for vacation so i need to pull the trigger so he can use it on the vacation 😊

What i can imagine is that the k6s have better drive shafts and better suspensions?

Appreciate some help to decide!

K6s is definitely a better car but will cost you alot more overall no matter what. The Arrma 3s line is great. Tough call. If you are not already into RC cars I would say to go with a 3s rig to start. How old is your son?

For durability I'd say the 3S line. I have a 3s Vortek, 3STyphon and a 6S Kraton. Fewer parts overall and everything is cheap so even when it does break it won't cost you an arm and a leg to replace. The 6s line is much bigger, heavier and super fun but the combination of weight and speed make it much easier to break things. On the 3S trucks I really don't think you need to do anything out of the box until you break something. I'd buy a metal spur though like the Hot Racing one though as the plastic ones won't last. On the 6S it's the servo. The stock servo is just really bad, plus the bushing to bearing replacement in the steering makes a huge difference. Look for EastTactics Youtube video on this and just copy that. Others on this forum pointed him out to me and so I'm paying it forward. Makes an absolutely massive difference.

Edit: East Tactics not West. LOL. Video

Last edited:
In general, I would say the 3S line seems to have much more assembly issues that can lead to (preventable) failures, but they don't really need upgrades out of the box. Once setup correctly, they are quite durable and cheap to fix if you break something.

On the other hand, the 6S (non-EXB) RTR line require more upgrades out of the box to be durable (front bumper, chassis brace, wheelie bar) and are more expensive to fix and maintain. The main assembly issue for the 6S line seems to be the diffs that are often low on fluid out of the box and screws that have been bathed in permanent threadlocker prior to assembly (not sure this aspect is still a problem on the V5).

Another important difference: Wrenching on the 3S is easy, but not particularly fun. Wrenching on the 6S is significantly more time-consuming, but more fun and rewarding. (This is personal preference and YMMV on this one...;) )

My 6s line is more durable then 3s line I have.
The senton is sitting on the shelf, every run is something else broken ore other issue. He drives lovely, for a few minutes.
The 6s line I can drive it run after run after run.
And naturally you have good and bad run days.

It's not because you take one out the 6s range you actually have to drive it on 6s. Its also ridiculous fast on 4s without options.

I like the 6s better personally, cause you can do a lot more of the repairs, upgrades, and customization yourself. So it might be a good thing if your son is into tinkering. But if he just wants to put around the yard on weekends then the 3s is probably better.

The 3s is definitely more durable out of the box. If you don't mind me asking, how old is your son? If he is young (under 13) I would definitely get him the 3s. If not then he should definitely decide. If he likes to send it over jumps you might bend a chassis on the K6s. It mostly comes down to preference but the 6s line will definitely cost more in the long term!

The 3s is definitely more durable out of the box. If you don't mind me asking, how old is your son? If he is young (under 13) I would definitely get him the 3s. If not then he should definitely decide. If he likes to send it over jumps you might bend a chassis on the K6s. It mostly comes down to preference but the 6s line will definitely cost more in the long term!
Says the --- how old are you @Exc3l ??? ___ ---- who transforms Sentons into 100mph + + + Typhons.....

My 2 cents for the original post.... it depends on your son. Both are good choices, my response is a blend of all the above..... K6v5 at 20% discount would be a hard deal to pass up, if I had to decide...... but if you are unsure about your son and his future in the hobby, go 3S line.....

As you most undoubtedly know, there is the 50-75-100 throttle control if you think it may be a bit much for the youngster (not knowing their age or experience level....)

ENJOY YOUR VACATION !!!!

@20% off k6s rtr all day long. It does not need anything but a battery out of the box. Look at all the post on the 6s forms, the newest k6s has less durability problems than ever. Everybody here including me spent a lot of unnecessary money on their rigs and want others to do the same. Get the k6s and if something breaks just fix it. If you bent the chassis bent it back. They’re only 23$ at Jennys, same with towers stock ones are very cheap. You guys will have a blast together with you running the k8s and your boy the k6s...

I'd buy a metal spur though like the Hot Racing one though as the plastic ones won't last.
Is this common? All my 3S rigs are still on their original spur gears. Maybe I need to drive them harder🤷‍♂️
can get k6s for 20% off the price
How? Is there a sale somewhere?

Thanks alot for all the advices!
I will take the choice out from what i read here, and it’s still not a easy call lol. Seems like the 3s v3 can take little more beating since it’s lighter, and it’s basicly nothing weakness with it.

For the 3s im affraid the driveshafts going to snap easily, for the 6s i am more worried for the chassis and that the A arms would snap quicker?
He is 11 and have much experience from rc hobby way back he started as 7 but took a break for the last two years.

He was back then expert to snap driveshafts on his 4x4 stampede, the plastic one snapped every week, i had a small plastic bag full of them but they Are super weak on the stampede 4x4,
the metal holded up good rear but snapped in front after landing on the front wheels.

I think it’s best for my pocket to let him buy the granite, but i also feel it’s a bad deal to only save 150 dollar to go from ks6 to granite 3s because of the k6s is on sale. It is really hard to say no to that deal, total price would be more because of a extra Battery and this braces it would be like 300 dollar more total.
But if the plastic shafts on 3s is a weak point like traxxas one i would easily pay the same over the summer as i would for the price difference with the k6s.

K6s could break more yes during the weight it could be more issues if he having accidents. I must take the choice for him before we go picking it up, im 50/50 one thing says it’s smto go with 3s but another side the other truck is a better deal since it’s discounted.
And this would be his first 1/8 scale.
Think i go with the granite, or should i take the k6s haha.

The controller adjusting the speed to 50% and 75% is a nice feature, then we go 3s/6s right away and tune it down, also setting punch control lower then standard to prevent too much stress from start and stop :)
@20% off k6s rtr all day long. It does not need anything but a battery out of the box. Look at all the post on the 6s forms, the newest k6s has less durability problems than ever. Everybody here including me spent a lot of unnecessary money on their rigs and want others to do the same. Get the k6s and if something breaks just fix it. If you bent the chassis bent it back. They’re only 23$ at Jennys, same with towers stock ones are very cheap. You guys will have a blast together with you running the k8s and your boy the k6s...
Yes excactly what i was thinking too. The k6s v5 must be the best 1/8 scale out on the marked and for 20% it’s a must buy.
But again maby it’s madness to let a 11 year old spend most of his saving money on a rig that size and power? 😂

I will take the choice out from what i read here, and it’s still not a easy call lol. Seems like the 3s v3 can take little more beating since it’s lighter, and it’s basicly nothing weakness with it.

For the 3s im affraid the driveshafts going to snap easily, for the 6s i am more worried for the chassis and that the A arms would snap quicker?
He is 11 and have much experience from rc hobby way back he started as 7 but took a break for the last two years.

He was back then expert to snap driveshafts on his 4x4 stampede, the plastic one snapped every week, i had a small plastic bag full of them but they Are super weak on the stampede 4x4,
the metal holded up good rear but snapped in front after landing on the front wheels.

I think it’s best for my pocket to let him buy the granite, but i also feel it’s a bad deal to only save 150 dollar to go from ks6 to granite 3s because of the k6s is on sale. It is really hard to say no to that deal, total price would be more because of a extra Battery and this braces it would be like 300 dollar more total.
But if the plastic shafts on 3s is a weak point like traxxas one i would easily pay the same over the summer as i would for the price difference with the k6s.

K6s could break more yes during the weight it could be more issues if he having accidents. I must take the choice for him before we go picking it up, im 50/50 one thing says it’s smto go with 3s but another side the other truck is a better deal since it’s discounted.

The controller adjusting the speed to 50% and 75% is a nice feature, then we go 3s/6s right away and tune it down, also setting punch control lower then standard to prevent too much stress from start and stop :)

Yes excactly what i was thinking too. The k6s v5 must be the best 1/8 scale out on the marked and for 20% it’s a must buy.
But again maby it’s madness to let a 11 year old spend most of his saving money on a rig that size and power? 😂
My wife has tortured her Senton..... other than one blown tire it remains STOCK FROM THE BOX.

However, since your son has experience..... K6 K6 K6 K6 K6 K6 K6 K6

K6

K6

Ummm

K6

K6v5 -
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF
any doubt - read @Jimbobjr post above - spot on

Is this common? All my 3S rigs are still on their original spur gears. Maybe I need to drive them harder🤷‍♂️

How? Is there a sale somewhere?
I went through three plastic spurs being a cheap dummie before just getting the metal one. The problem for me anyway is the pinion is metal and the spur is plastic. That is just not a good combination. I also learned the hard way if you have your slipper too tight you'll blow up the plastic rear diffs. Live and learn.

I know we're in an Arrma forum but since you mentioned Traxxas you might consider the Traxxas Maxx too. With the upgraded steel driveshafts it has actually been the most durable truck I have. My seven year old just beats the absolute poop out of it constantly (no air control, rams into everything) and it's almost indestructible. I think it's the best monster truck out there.

Hands down out of the box any of the 3s line is about 80% more durable... plus parts are cheaper. A very few small upgrades and it's a tank. I had a senton I was showing people how durable it was so I held the throttle and bounced off walls and trees and a fence a few times till it broke about 5 minutes into it... lost a 3 cent screw from the front hub. Was bone stock.

Were you breaking stock Maxx driveshafts or did you just want to upgrade?
Breaking. Partially my fault though. Max wheels are Huge and vented only on the inside. If you get them wet they get really heavy and won’t drain. Then they destroy the plastic driveshafts. If you keep water out of the wheel the plastic are ok. But the steel are really strong.

I bought BRCC 3s for my son(and myself). It has taken punishment well, and unless you have it besides one of the 6s cars you'll think it's fast. Big plus for me is the lower price, smaller size for smaller areas, and only need one 2/3s battery per session, versus more expensive 1 4s or 2 3s.

If your son is skilled and knows how to correct properly with minimal crashes the Kraton will hold up. But it can take one bad crash and since the thing is heavy your chances of breaking something is that much higher lol

That being said, I've broken more on my Granite than my Kraton but that's mainly due to sending it harder than the Kraton. I was having issues with the K6s servos, and that was due to a big bend in the chassis right where the servo mount sat. I didn't realize it until I finally broke like 3 upgraded servos and flipped that sucker over and saw the damage lol

The Granite. Well there are things you SHOULD do right out of the box but many people don't because they are either nervous or just impatient or just do not know. There are videos on Youtube regarding a few things you should do before running it but here's my to do list:
-Cut a hole in the chassis where the spur gear sits
-Replace the stock motor bearings with high quality metal/ceramic or rubber shielded (as I did)
-Loctite the wheel nuts
-Check to make sure the mesh isn't too tight and also the slipper clutch.
-Check diff fluid levels
-Check shock fluid levels
-Add a dust cover of some sort to keep rocks and dirt out of the motor housing

I know this is in depth but honestly, I would highly consider at least 1 and 2 on the list to get rid of any headache you might have because those stock bearings are just crap lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back