What is the best kind of battery for the Nero?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 20170330_160722_HDR.jpg
    20170330_160722_HDR.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 78
Thank you everybody! I think I will get the SMC pack. Do you have any charger recommendations?

We have a slash, kraton, and Nero. Waiting for batteries to charge sucks. I use a hitec 4xac and charge up to 4 lipo/nihm at a time. Very happy with it.

We have a slash, kraton, and Nero. Waiting for batteries to charge sucks. I use a hitec 4xac and charge up to 4 lipo/nihm at a time. Very happy with it.
The hitec X4 is a good charger but it does have its limitations. Since it is only 50 watts per channel it struggles with 4s and larger batteries. It can only charge 3s batteries at 4 amps, 4s batteries at 3 amps and 6s batteries at 2 amps. For 2s and 3s batteries it works really well but if you plan on getting 4s and 6s batteries I would highly recommend a 100 watt per channel charger. The below venom charger is one that I see get recommended quite a bit. If you want to get into extremely high powered charging, extremely fast charging or charging LOTS of batteries at once, you will need to look into D.C. chargers and parallel charging.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGDPK&P=SM

These: http://www.rcjuice.com/lipo-batteries/hobbystar-8000mah-11-1v-3s-100c-hardcase-lipo-battery.html

My next batteries for sure. They're based out of California and from what I've heard, they're good people to deal with. I think they even send a dum dum sucker with the package so that's a bonus lol.
Would be looking at $72 shipped (67.45 if buying 2..assume so)

Hobbystar can be had for $81 with their 10% coupon. Get 800 more mah and will fit correctly, not having to worry about harming the battery's wires.

Think either battery would be a good choice but I'm leaning towards Hobbystar.

Where do I get the coupon? Seems like the most mah I can find that will fit in Nero.

The hitec X4 is a good charger but it does have its limitations. Since it is only 50 watts per channel it struggles with 4s and larger batteries. It can only charge 3s batteries at 4 amps, 4s batteries at 3 amps and 6s batteries at 2 amps. For 2s and 3s batteries it works really well but if you plan on getting 4s and 6s batteries I would highly recommend a 100 watt per channel charger. The below venom charger is one that I see get recommended quite a bit. If you want to get into extremely high powered charging, extremely fast charging or charging LOTS of batteries at once, you will need to look into D.C. chargers and parallel charging.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGDPK&P=SM

Hitec x4 has 4 channels A,B,C, and D. I'm sure you knew that. I just wanted to be clear for others that might read this. Channels A and B do max 100 watts and 10 amps max each in D.C. Channels C and D do 50 watts and 5 amps max each in D.C. I haven't looked t the venoms breakdown but I'm thinking it's about the same. It also charges up to 6s. I use 5 amps when I charge my lipo's with no problems. Many options out there. Just posting what I use. Venom was slightly more money then the hitec and much bulkier. The desplay was said to be hard to see when I was shopping for chargers. This was just my experience. Hope it helps.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Where do I get the coupon? Seems like the most mah I can find that will fit in Nero.

Hitec x4 has 4 channels A,B,C, and D. I'm sure you knew that. I just wanted to be clear for others that might read this. Channels A and B do max 100 watts and 10 amps max each in D.C. Channels C and D do 50 watts and 5 amps max each in D.C. I haven't looked t the venoms breakdown but I'm thinking it's about the same. It also charges up to 6s. I use 5 amps when I charge my lipo's with no problems. Many options out there. Just posting what I use. Venom was slightly more money then the hitec and much bulkier. The desplay was said to be hard to see when I was shopping for chargers. This was just my experience. Hope it helps.
[/QUOTE]
You must have the hitec X4 AC Pro and not the X4 AC Plus. I have the X4 AC Plus and that one can only do 50 watts per channel regardless of AC or D.C. I also have the X2 700, which is a 2 channel charger with 700 watts per channel. Even at 100 watts per channel though, if you are charging a 6s battery the charger is only able to charge it at 4 amps, and if you have a large 6s battery that can take awhile to finish.

You must have the hitec X4 AC Pro.

I'm not home to check but I'm pretty sure that's the one I have.

Hitec x4 has 4 channels A,B,C, and D. I'm sure you knew that. I just wanted to be clear for others that might read this. Channels A and B do max 100 watts and 10 amps max each in D.C. Channels C and D do 50 watts and 5 amps max each in D.C. I haven't looked t the venoms breakdown but I'm thinking it's about the same. It also charges up to 6s. I use 5 amps when I charge my lipo's with no problems. Many options out there. Just posting what I use. Venom was slightly more money then the hitec and much bulkier. The desplay was said to be hard to see when I was shopping for chargers. This was just my experience. Hope it helps.
Rctech10 is coupon code

You must have the hitec X4 AC Pro.

I'm not home to check but I'm pretty sure that's the one I have.
I have the X4 AC Plus, which can only do 50 watts maximum per channel.
DC442B01-2CA1-487E-ACE0-050740C8D207-25973-00001023F90C93F7.jpeg
You must have X4 AC Pro below, which has two channels at 50 watts maximum and two channels that can put out up to 100 watts in the right situations.
B000C88F-B4BB-4EE0-844B-9FF8A40A755B-25973-0000102424AE03A1.png

Let's see, i have fourteen (14) RCs of all kinds. Their all trucks and cars though.
But ALL of my roadsters can easily hit 0mph-100mph and I'm from Alaska the north of Alaska, FYI. I love riding my RCs during the winter witch by the way is awesome. They are all electric RCs and water submersible, love water skipping during the summer.
But yea here is my list of my RCs.

1/18 team associated rc18b with 3s castle creations setup,
1/18 team associated mini rival also same castle setup,
1/16 traxxas slash with big block 1/10 3s castle creations pro,
1/16 traxxas erevo also big block with castle creations 4s setup,
1/12 hpi savage xs with castle creations 3s sct pro,
1/10 hpi firestorm with castle creations 4s sct pro,
1/10 redcat xbe pro with castle creations 6s mamba x,
1/10 arrma raider with castle creations 3s sct pro,
1/10 arrma raider with same setup,
1/8 arrma typhon with castle creations mamba monster x,
1/8 arrma senton also with castle creations mamba monster x,
1/8 arrma raider xl with mamber monster x,
1/8 arrma nero with different brain and with mamba monster x,
1/8 hpi savage xl also with castle creations mamba monster x, and also I run all my rc with MAXAMPS Batts.

I run all castle creations setup because I love the power/torque/speed or them and also run all MAXAMPS on my setups because they handle the best under load/longest runs/ and most output power!! If u use castle creations motor/escape and with MAXAMPS Batts, it's the best setup u can get. They are both pricey YES but worth it once u have setups. Last forever....but anyways my charger is an duratrax 245 single charger and also a duratrax 255 duo charger with my maxamps Batts. I charge my Batts for only an hour and have runtime about an hour half. Witch it bad ass! Love the combo.

I don't have a Nero but I can suggest you some very good and cheap Lipos! Go to rcjuice.com. After this lipos I would never buy expensive batts.
Thanks for the suggestion reply! which one would you recommend? How long do you think the different batteries would run for in the nero? Could you also recommend a charger? The Nero needs an XT90 connector.

Has anyone tried these batteries? I'm thinking of getting these once my brand new duratrax fail on me, though they are starting to puff a bit , more after every cycle it seems. All 5 cycles.

How do you like the 7200's? I'm concerned about the added weight. I plan on doing some light jumping and don't know if the extra mass would be too much for the system.

The SMC 7200's don't fit without removing the hard case. Which is a pain to do. I went w/ the RCJuice.com 6500mah 3S 75C w/ the XT90 connector already installed. Fit perfectly.

I run the 7200 hard case. No problem, just a little tight

That's weird...I couldn't get mine in. The HobbyStars from RC Juice fit well, so they are good enough for me. :)

I have some powerhobby 7600's that are 75c. I don't know how much run time I got from them, but it could have been 40 mins. They fit perfect. Cost me $115 for the pair on Amazon.

I got around 40 min. on the 6500mah HobbyStars this afternoon, also 75C. Hard running in grass and deep dirt...and I didn't even drain them all the way to the cutoff. Charging them now to see how much juice I actually used.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back