What is the grease on outside of the diffs? (Talion)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeachMeCars

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Talion
When I remove the front and rear parts of the car from my talion's chassis, I notice there is grease of some sort on the outside of the diffs and even some on the chassis. What is this?

I am planning to do a rebuild in the next week of the entire care. If this grease is something I need then I'd like to add it to my parts order. Wish me luck with de-rust-ifying everything!

Grease for the diff ring and pinion gears. I use whatever I've got handy, but apparently Lucas red'n'tacky is the best (not available in my area). Just don't leave them dry when you rebuild!

Grease for the diff ring and pinion gears. I use whatever I've got handy, but apparently Lucas red'n'tacky is the best (not available in my area). Just don't leave them dry when you rebuild!
Thanks for the help friend! Looks like the Home Depot near me has some.

I have a tube of the red and tacky Mobil1 synthetic grease. It's more than likely a "life time supply" for my R/C cars!

If you don't like the sometimes mess it makes, some guys use a DuPont waxy chain lube. It doesn't throw off once it dries, which is nice since it doesn't attract dirt.

I use it on my spur and pinion gears on my Limitless.

Hey guys is the red 'n tacky grease still good to use on the plastic input and ring gears of the 3s line? I've got some Lucas red n' tacky in the post... just wondered if that is specific to the hardened steel 6s gears, or if there's a more suitable grease for plastic gears

I have a tube of the red and tacky Mobil1 synthetic grease. It's more than likely a "life time supply" for my R/C cars!

If you don't like the sometimes mess it makes, some guys use a DuPont waxy chain lube. It doesn't throw off once it dries, which is nice since it doesn't attract dirt.

I use it on my spur and pinion gears on my Limitless.
I also have M1 red. (y) And also use Dupont MC "Chain Saver"chain lube (Wax with Teflon and moly) on my pinion and spur. Mostly for break-in of those 2 gears when new before I install them. Never attracts dirt. I may also use it on squeaky hinge pins and end balls as needed. It displaces/sheds dirt and doesn't attract it. I also recommend it highly.:D

I also have M1 red. (y) And also use Dupont MC "Chain Saver"chain lube (Wax with Teflon and moly) on my pinion and spur. Mostly for break-in of those 2 gears when new before I install them. Never attracts dirt. I may also use it on squeaky hinge pins and end balls as needed. It displaces/sheds dirt and doesn't attract it. I also recommend it highly.:D

And I most likely learned about the DuPont stuff from one of your posts!

I originally got Chain Saver for my Bicycle chains. I also hot Wax dip my new chains first. Wax only no oils are good for chains etc. IMO. Bicycles are another hobby of mine. Rebuilding classics and painting frames and all. Riding.
Got the Chain Saver tip from a bicycle forum. Funny how information spreads across the web.:D

edit: if you or your family have bicycles go try Chain saver on them! :cool:

Last edited:
This may be a silly question, but would you mind explaining what the diff ring and pinion gears are? I know of the pinion gear on the motor shaft, but I don't know much about diff gears.

The differential input gear, callout "6" in the picture (the "pinion") is on the end of the driveshaft that runs fore and aft of the motor. The differential ring gear, callout "2" is the big gear on the outside of the differential case, and it gets driven by the pinion.

Differential_(Manual_of_Driving_and_Maintenance).jpg

Within the front and rear bulkhead are the f/r diffs. They resemble the center diff, but instead of a spur gear attached to the diff housing is a ring gear. And that mates to the input gear (pinion as some say) of the center driveshaft. They must be greased unlike the center diff spur and motors pinion. Hope that helps. Look at your manual. And observe the blow up diagram. Hope this helps to understand it visually.:cool:

Oops, @drjim has you covered. (y) :LOL:

This may be a silly question, but would you mind explaining what the diff ring and pinion gears are? I know of the pinion gear on the motor shaft, but I don't know much about diff gears.
Diff assembly from the 6s Arrma manual ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200327-195228.jpg
    Screenshot_20200327-195228.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 71
I don't know that it is Lithium grease per se, Just grease. And any automotive/marine grease is as durable if not superior in this application. When I think of generic Lithium grease I think of a pure white grease. Generally not as waterproof and temp stabile. Whatever works for you..But it needs to be greased for sure.

This community is always so helpful. Love you all.

Wish me luck on my first rebuild over this next week. I let my car sit and rust after a run in the mud. Currently de-rust-ifying everything, then everything will be switch to an m2c chassis ?

This is one of THE BEST forums on the Internet!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back