Big Rock What is the trick on saving the ESC power button from breaking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basher27

Reaction score
It seems like every ESC after a short period of time the tabs that you mount it to and power button breaks. Is there a way to fix this or replace the power button?

BE8D9A6A-3834-467A-8DBE-9E43B12F168B.jpeg

9D2714BF-34C1-404C-AA49-1B0D8F7CF179.jpeg

Just curious, how do you clean your car?

I first use an air compressor and once done with that I take a paint brush spray simple green on the brush and hit the whole truck with that. Once that is done I use a separate paint brush and spray WD 40 silicone in there and again go over the whole truck. I take the motor modular out and the ESC/ servo receiver box out and clean separately

I first use an air compressor and once done with that I take a paint brush spray simple green on the brush and hit the whole truck with that. Once that is done I use a separate paint brush and spray WD 40 silicone in there and again go over the whole truck. I take the motor modular out and the ESC/ servo receiver box out and clean separately
I usually just air mine out and use a brush to scrub the dirt off, try to avoid water and cleaning agents. I am always cautious on canned grease as well (even silicone spray) is usually mixed with other goodies that can degrade plastics.

That button doesn't look too bad, you can try some HVAC metal tape, it's strong and 3dprint a new bracket.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4579894

Last edited:
IMO, Simple Green eats the Spektrum ESC plastics. I'm the only guy in the world that thinks that, but that's my opinion.

If you're going to use Simple Green, wash it off afterwards.
I dilute my simple green. At the most 60/40 water/simple green but usually 70/30 or less a little bit goes a long way.

The Spektrum ESC power switch case plastic is really brittle. I only ever washed my car with regular dish soap (and the ESC wasn't even in the car) and it still took damage. Nothing major, but a chunk is missing from the bottom.

What about using some liquid electrical tape to create a new, pliable switch case for it?

Just hot glue gun that bad boy back together (on the outside ,of course. NOT internally!) and shave off any spillage blobs..

And if you want the 3D switch holder , just PM me.. let me know what color, how many.

I cleaned my car with nothing but that Simple Green crystal foaming spray for 6 months and by the end my Spektrum ESC was disintegrating like it was made out of sugarcubes. Rest of the car was fine.

I cleaned my car with nothing but that Simple Green crystal foaming spray for 6 months and by the end my Spektrum ESC was disintegrating like it was made out of sugarcubes. Rest of the car was fine.

Sort of Off topic..

I had spilt some canola oil on an industrial paper shredder casing that was plastic.. after a week the freaking plastic started to shatter(like glass fractures)!!

I've never realized/imagine regular canola oil would do that to plastics!

Back to original post (OP).
The switch itself is sealed, no need to worry. I did but clear heatshrink over mine to avoid any direct spray, just in case. Been working fine for over a year.

You can buy replacement switches, cut the wire and solder on a new one.

Prevention, I have some tape on both sides that prevents the lid from popping off.

You could try just supergluing your cover back on and secure sides with good tape.

IMO, Simple Green eats the Spektrum ESC plastics. I'm the only guy in the world that thinks that, but that's my opinion.

If you're going to use Simple Green, wash it off afterwards.
+1.
I am compelled to agree. I usually mix down my SG to 50/50 (+water). I only spray onto Microfiber cloth and wipe down my rig. Just Compressed air and a Paint brush most of the time. My rigs don't have to be perfectly clean. But always remain dry.
I only use SG at full strength for wipe cleaning before I use CA on my tires. It does leave some type of residue IMHO. I would never spray directly onto my chassis. Using any sprays.
And many track guys say SG cleans rubber well, and the residue that remains acts like a catalyst for CA'ed surfaces.:unsure: Been working for me.

I appreciate everyone's input. I guess the take away for me is dilute the SG to about 50/50 and don't use on the esc as it might eat away at the esc? Is there a pro proactive approach I can take with my other cars that have the spectrum ESC on it? Maybe sandwiching small rubber o rings in between the chassis and esc? Any other thoughts?
I still can't believe the screw tabs on these ESC'S are that brittle or weak.

I appreciate everyone's input. I guess the take away for me is dilute the SG to about 50/50 and don't use on the esc as it might eat away at the esc? Is there a pro proactive approach I can take with my other cars that have the spectrum ESC on it? Maybe sandwiching small rubber o rings in between the chassis and esc? Any other thoughts?
I still can't believe the screw tabs on these ESC'S are that brittle or weak.
Maybe use a little bit of double sided tape to help secure the switch?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back