What is the value of the more expensive radios?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a DX5 Pro after damn near losing a car with the stock radio in my first entry into the hobby (Talion V4). I liked it but I kept having problems with the receivers and the servos I connected to it. I didn't go cheap either as I tried to get the best Spektrum had to offer. Seemed like I was running into constant glitches with the entire Spektrum system and it almost made me leave the hobby. Then I said to hell with it and upgraded to a Futaba 7PXR...I'm in love with the thing and its made the hobby way more enjoyable. I consider myself a "tinkerer" cause I love to tweak things to see if I can get better as a driver and a builder. The Futaba is the perfect tool for what I enjoy about the hobby and was well worth the "investment". In short...It just works and I can change things on the fly depending on what I'm using the car for. I'd recommend it even for those who just bash cause you can control so much more with all the options and settings. I'll never purchase anything Spektrum again (the motors are OK but the ESCs are trash IMHO). Futaba for the win!!!
Can never go wrong with any Futaba Radio.(y) Wallet permitting. Rx's are expensive. Futaba makes the best Gyros.....FWIW.
The 10PX is out now . Like 800.00 though.:rolleyes:
Was a Futaba Fanboy for so many years. I had 2 Futaba PCM 1024's back in the 90's. They were $600. each back then. The best back then.
Now there are so many brand options and I don't race anymore.

Last edited:
Oh my, the possibilities are endless!! Rugged here.. latency is the biggest imo, telemetry which i absolutely dig đź’Ż, up to 20 rigs for the rugged, range is stunning and I think the info on the rugged platform is inaccurate.. endless settings and preferences, tuning, AVC.. I'm sure I'm missing more!! I always recommend a rx/tx upgrade right out the gate!!
Edit: Rugged for the WIN!!
Absolutely data logging only way to know where you are at with your build.

Are there any hard numbers on latency? All I can find via Google are a few forum posts and YT videos with very little actual measurement.

The rumor mill certainly suggests that Sanwa/Airtronics and Futaba are far ahead of everybody else in terms of latency, with maybe the Flysky NB4 just short of the mark, but aside from rumor and innuendo I'm having a hard time finding performance numbers.
A side by side comparison with observed latency using identical servos has been done somehwere. Forgot the video. Who did it. I remember some radios/Rx's were visibly and obvioulsy slow. WIth Bad frame rate specs in actual use.
Spektrums "Raceware" F/W ain't all that."(n)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back