What is the value of the more expensive radios?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickRussell_CA

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Outcast 4s
So the first break that happened on my new Outcast 4S wasn't the truck -- it was the trigger on the radio, which I must have bumped hard because it's broke. Fortunately I had another SLT3 from my Typhon Mega, but that got me wondering...

What is the difference between the expensive surface radios from big RC brands like Futaba, Sanwa, Spektrum and the $40 TX/RX combo specials from FlySky, Hobbyking, etc?

Obviously, big LCD displays, telemetry, multiple receiver support. But do they drive any better? Is there any reason I should consider a premium radio for bashing & general hobby use?

Plenty of options to fine tune, which in turn makes it drive better. My main motivation for getting the Radio Link was so I could stop carrying a dozen transmitters everywhere!!! Love the multi rig option!! (y)

Response time is better making it feel more connected to the controls. Certainly more options for fine tuning. Multiple cars on the same radio is also a very nice option. Currently run a DX5C and a flysky GT5. I find the menu system on the flysky to be a little easier but the DX5C has better overall performance. I have never run a super high end radio so can't really say.

I also like the multi rig aspect. I think the radiolink is a great middle ground between expensive stuff like Futaba and cheaper stuff like rtr and Dumbo. Really can't beat it for under a 100$ and 16-21$ for the Rx for each rig.

Oh my, the possibilities are endless!! Rugged here.. latency is the biggest imo, telemetry which i absolutely dig 💯, up to 20 rigs for the rugged, range is stunning and I think the info on the rugged platform is inaccurate.. endless settings and preferences, tuning, AVC.. I'm sure I'm missing more!! I always recommend a rx/tx upgrade right out the gate!!
Edit: Rugged for the WIN!!

Last edited:
Futaba for the win :cool: I run a 7PXR on half my rigs and all my crawlers/trail trucks.
As others have said, faster response, multi models, much more adjustments etc but don't forget the most important feature the bling factor..!! :unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Welp I disassembled the SLT3 transmitter, and it turns out that the potentiometer for the trigger is held in with a plastic clip.

Now it's held in with a plastic clip and ample super glue.

Problem solved! I'll think about the options for a better radio when the time comes for it. I'm hoping to build a race kit in about a year (probably either 1/10 or 1/8 buggy, maybe 1/8 truggy) and I'll definitely be looking for a dedicated radio for that.

So the first break that happened on my new Outcast 4S wasn't the truck -- it was the trigger on the radio, which I must have bumped hard because it's broke. Fortunately I had another SLT3 from my Typhon Mega, but that got me wondering...

What is the difference between the expensive surface radios from big RC brands like Futaba, Sanwa, Spektrum and the $40 TX/RX combo specials from FlySky, Hobbyking, etc?

Obviously, big LCD displays, telemetry, multiple receiver support. But do they drive any better? Is there any reason I should consider a premium radio for bashing & general hobby use?
If all you’re doing is basic bashing, save the money and get a Dumbo RC X4. It has tons of range, great response, and can be bound to plenty of receivers. It’s low tech and bullet proof.

I also like the multi rig aspect. I think the radiolink is a great middle ground between expensive stuff like Futaba and cheaper stuff like rtr and Dumbo. Really can't beat it for under a 100$ and 16-21$ for the Rx for each rig.
+1
Radiolink RC4GS/RC6GS ($60./$80.) is leaps and bounds better than any SLT3. You will feel much better connected. Longer range. Response time being much better. Until you try an upgrade radio, you won't realize what you were missing. And you will never want to use a cheap RTR radio ever again. You don't need to spend $200. + on a radio. Unless your wallet wants to. I also have an NB4 ($300)and Spektrum DX5C. ($150.) Not a fan of the Spektrum radios at all. Wish I never bought it. NB4 is a cream puff of a radio. If your wallet allows. Radiolink has the best range out the box of all of these FWIW. I use it for Speed running.
My thoughts.
:cool:

Last edited:
Just not a fan of spekteum at all!! Period! @SrC 🤣
I got a DX5 Pro after damn near losing a car with the stock radio in my first entry into the hobby (Talion V4). I liked it but I kept having problems with the receivers and the servos I connected to it. I didn't go cheap either as I tried to get the best Spektrum had to offer. Seemed like I was running into constant glitches with the entire Spektrum system and it almost made me leave the hobby. Then I said to hell with it and upgraded to a Futaba 7PXR...I'm in love with the thing and its made the hobby way more enjoyable. I consider myself a "tinkerer" cause I love to tweak things to see if I can get better as a driver and a builder. The Futaba is the perfect tool for what I enjoy about the hobby and was well worth the "investment". In short...It just works and I can change things on the fly depending on what I'm using the car for. I'd recommend it even for those who just bash cause you can control so much more with all the options and settings. I'll never purchase anything Spektrum again (the motors are OK but the ESCs are trash IMHO). Futaba for the win!!!

It is all about what you want to spend money on. If your car of choice comes with one of the better RTR radios, then other than some bells and whistles that you mention, you only gain a better 'feel' in the hand, better ergonomics. With the sub- $100 computer radios, you don't get that either, as they generally still have the same RTR build quality. If you have a crappy RTR radio (like the STX2) then you will notice a big increase in control/reliability with a good radio, but you only need a $40 DumboRc radio, not really a $200-$400 radio to be a crappy RTR radio.

Myself, I ran the original Radiolink RC4G/TS4G (non-s version) for several years. It was a great radio for $40, but it was not really a great radio... LOL Best things about it were the $12 RXs, 10 model memory, gyro in the RX, and all the adjustment. Bad was it would sometimes glitch hard when powered on... Most of the time a restart / rebind would fix it, but a few times I had to just run a different car that day. I think the S and newer versions have fixed this, though.

Recently, I have picked up a NB4 Noble. Great radio, no question. Great adjustable ergonomics, feels like a+ quality in the hand, easy to use touchscreen interface for all the adjustments, and latency is right up there is the Big Boy racing radios. Only downside I see is the $200-$250 price tag, and extra RX's are $40, but the other radios of this quality are $400+ with similar or higher RX cost.

Before I bought the Noble, I did consider a DX5C / DX5 Rugged, but after holding a DX5C in a LHS, IMHO, it felt too RTR quality for the amount of money they wanted. Plus I have heard enough people complain about that scroll wheel that I was already a bit put off.

Other radios I have run -
DX2C - (had 2 of these). Decent, but not really good, and not worth what the $ the LHS wants for them. Feels like cheap plastic in the hand. Never had an issue, but they are just really cheap considering the price.
ATX300 (Have 2)- the V1 Arrma RTR, was a pretty good radio, not great, but not bad. Reliable until the battery tray has issues.
Tactic TTX300 (have 2) - Arrma V2/V3 RTR radio - again pretty good, better than the ATX300 by a bit. Has EPA adjustment, but it is a bit of a PITA to use it.
DumboRc X6 (have 1) - Yes, this radio is as good as they say. Everything you need in a RTR radio, nothing else, works great. I don't know the latency, but it feels very 'connected' to the RC, so I am guessing it is pretty decent. Better build quality than most RTR radios, but not as good as a mid-grade radio like a $200 Futaba or the Noble.
Plus a few air radios from Flysky, Walkera, and DJI.

Last edited:
I got a DX5 Pro after damn near losing a car with the stock radio in my first entry into the hobby (Talion V4). I liked it but I kept having problems with the receivers and the servos I connected to it. I didn't go cheap either as I tried to get the best Spektrum had to offer. Seemed like I was running into constant glitches with the entire Spektrum system and it almost made me leave the hobby. Then I said to hell with it and upgraded to a Futaba 7PXR...I'm in love with the thing and its made the hobby way more enjoyable. I consider myself a "tinkerer" cause I love to tweak things to see if I can get better as a driver and a builder. The Futaba is the perfect tool for what I enjoy about the hobby and was well worth the "investment". In short...It just works and I can change things on the fly depending on what I'm using the car for. I'd recommend it even for those who just bash cause you can control so much more with all the options and settings. I'll never purchase anything Spektrum again (the motors are OK but the ESCs are trash IMHO). Futaba for the win!!!
I find that the 5C, Rugged and Pro pretty much use the same F/W ( Spektrum Raceware) So what are you really paying for in the Pro? I feel Spektrum radios became more popular with the Air RC crowed early on. Their Stick radios.
Their Surface Rx's are all the same. I never could justify the performance and price. Pro has a better feel etc. (ergonomics) Nicest package. Yet the Rx's can be finicky also. And I don't like their rather large AVC Rx's. From exper.
Just there are better radio brands out there. And for the price.
Was a Futaba Fan boy when I got into this hobby and until about 8 years ago. Great radios. Just super expensive. Rx's also. I don't race anymore. There are more options these days with the same feature set. Best suitable for bashing use.
:cool:

Last edited:
latency is right up there is the Big Boy racing radios

Are there any hard numbers on latency? All I can find via Google are a few forum posts and YT videos with very little actual measurement.

The rumor mill certainly suggests that Sanwa/Airtronics and Futaba are far ahead of everybody else in terms of latency, with maybe the Flysky NB4 just short of the mark, but aside from rumor and innuendo I'm having a hard time finding performance numbers.

I have read the best racing radios are all sub 5ms response time, with the best of them being around 2ms. Flysky has claimed 3ms for the NB4.
The Radiolink RC4Gs is around 12ms, most Spektrum DX5* radios are around 10ms, and a lot of the budget RTR radios will vary from 10ms-30ms. From what I read, most people can tell the difference between a 10ms and a 25ms radio, but not many people can tell the difference between a 5ms and a 10ms radio, FWIW.

Also, a few years back, BillDeLong put together a spreadsheet of a lot of radios, with most of the important specs (that he could find) he does not have speed for all radios, but many do -
https://bdrca.blogspot.com/2020/03/which-surface-radio-is-best.html
Interesting, he puts the DumboRC at 3ms, WTF?

Also worth pointing out, we kind of rely on MFGR published specs for latency, and we know that all MFGRs will NeVeR LiE AbOuT SpeCs, RiGhT?

Also also, I did see a youtube vid where a guy put a silly fast servo in a car, and tested response time of a (I think it was) Spektrum, a Noble, and a Sanwa (not sure which one, but one of the higher end ones) and a high speed camera to count frames for response time. Both the Noble and the Sanwa were a lot faster than the Spektrum, but the Sanwa was just a bit faster than the Noble.

If you follow Mr. Delong's links, it looks like the 3ms latency for DumboRC is self-reported by the manufacturer. So who knows?
Yeah, while I have a hard time believing A $40 radio system has 3ms response times, (heck Futaba, Sanwa, Spektrum need a RX that is more than $40 to hit those speeds, never mind the $400-$800 TX) my DumboRC X6 has a much better "locked in" feel vs any of my other radios... (not sure about the Noble, it is still new to me)

If DumboRC would come out with a TX that has basic computer radio options for around the same price as the RC6Gs it would kill the sub-$100 radio market.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back