What is your lipo temperature in hot summer weather?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotwheel85

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Hello ?

Finally the summer arrived, runned the K8s today and have some temp questions.

Setup: stock motor and esc, running 23T, punch level 4, timing 0.

Im very impressed how good the temp is on the motor and esc, after 20 min runtime in the sun. No wind today either.

Motor and esc can handle even bigger pinion, the lipos is the parts that get highest temperatures.

After 10 min they reached 40c/105F.
Managed the temps during the next 10 min and they reached 53c/128F before the run was over.
This is gens-ace-r-spam bashing series 5000mah 50c.

After searching up max lipo temp on google, it seems the average max temp should not be more then 60c/140F, im still under that, but it sounds hot.

Would like to hear if 53c/128F is still safe for the lipo to not puff.

What is the other k8s owners in here get in temperatures during a hot summer day?

Happy bashing to all ??

AMPS get pulled = heat
Volts get pushed

Remember that^

If you have a 5000mah pack rated @30C here's the math:

You multiply the 30C x 5 (first number in the mah)

30x5= 150 AMPS

Here's where it gets hairy.. You have a "50C" 5000mah pack or a pack where they "claim" its 50C so lets do that math..

50x5=250 AMPS Those packs are claiming they are good for 250amps continuous.

Your stock ESC is only rated for 160 amps continuous but will handle bursts of more, so will the packs.

You are within okay pack temps but here: Your packs can "deliver" 250 amps continuous but remember amps are pulled. When amps are pulled that creates HEAT. If a 160AMP ESC is pulling amps out of the 250 amp continuous battery and creating that much heat, do you think those packs are really 50c? I'm not saying they're not 50C, I'm just sayin'... ;)

I have yoopoo "100c" 6000mah Graphene packs that I can trip the LVC on my beast pro freshly charged with one throttle stab.

Gotnitro yes that was well explained.
Since the temp is ok I will continue to use them, and manage the temp on sunny days, in shadow or in colder weather they stay at a lower temp but again c rate is not to trust. Think i readed that the dynamite smart batteries also was overrated when it comes to c rating.

I went from 2.5M center diff oil to 20 mill oil, that alone cant increase the amp draw?

Like it on 20mill, but this car needs a wheelie bar now, it went hard out on the body after i got this oil changed ?

Still chugging along.
I did manage to get a pair to 170F, but that is too close for comfort. That pack (2 3S) are degraded and IR almost doubled.
Stupid mistake on my part that led to this over stress.

Degrading is highly dependent on how high, but also 'how long' they will stay at elevated temps. Try to get them back to ambient quickly, but don't shock them with an ice cooler.

Still chugging along.
I did manage to get a pair to 170F, but that is too close for comfort. That pack (2 3S) are degraded and IR almost doubled.
Stupid mistake on my part that led to this over stress.

Degrading is highly dependent on how high, but also 'how long' they will stay at elevated temps. Try to get them back to ambient quickly, but don't shock them with an ice cooler.
Appreciate the follow up. My 6s pack got up to 120 yesterday when I was giving it hard bash. I guess I shouldn’t be to worried about the temps other then just watching them. Thank you again.

120F is normal, keep in mid that most of us start out at ambient of 95F etc.
Will they last 5-7 years, definitely not, but I typically break them for other reasons. The 170F mistake was a bummer though, happens with boats and too much prop :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back