What is your other hobby (money pit)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motorcycles for me!...

Attachments

• A22751F6-5079-444A-9619-C46D5FC68FA2.jpeg
    A22751F6-5079-444A-9619-C46D5FC68FA2.jpeg
    464.9 KB · Views: 45
Real cars, currently an AMG C63, but have had multiple modded Subaru’s, Mustangs, hot rods, and a BMW. Also have a large collection of Star Wars LEGO and their larger scale car models. When I was younger it was guitars.

for me its the following
cars: the best thing for a teen to get into
dirtbiking: because im not allowed to jump the car... anymore.
Gaming: i have 3 setups one for racing one for fps games and one for whatever else i feel like playing
art: i do a lot of car renderings for my friends car shop
photography: 4k drone shots are my thing
cooking: my main thing is baking
wakeboarding: i think i just like to fly
Slowboarding: i definitly just like to fly

I managed to find myself interested in RC Boats recently.
It is an interesting world. The RC guys in the boat world are for the most part in the 60-90 age range.
Nearly all are competitive racers so they like to hold their secrets. Propellers being the biggest area of secret.

Most of the props are made with an alloy containing beryllium which is highly toxic so few people mod the props themselves.

The majority of the guys are ol' gas/nitro guys and struggle with electrics. A few have embraced electrics and are doing well.

I am hoping to learn more and help grow this side of the hobby. Current issue I see is the community's attitude, and then the fact that all the RTR stuff is plastic junk compared to the fiberglass and carbon fiber stuff you have to build yourself. TFL seems to be one of the few big brands selling decent RTR stuff. Also boats are not cheap. Anything decent starts above $600. With Catamarans using 2 motors, 2 ESCs they can go well beyond $1200 easily.

Similar to RC cars many of the boats want to blow over above 70 mph. That is ok for most racers as they run an oval track and rarely go over 65mph. Hydroplanes and very narrow catamarans do a little better at high speeds, but outriggers riggers do best. They literally fly over the water just barely skimming the surface.

flying rigger 1 Capture.JPG

It is an interesting world. The RC guys in the boat world are for the most part in the 60-90 age range.
Nearly all are competitive racers so they like to hold their secrets. Propellers being the biggest area of secret.

Most of the props are made with an alloy containing beryllium which is highly toxic so few people mod the props themselves.

The majority of the guys are ol' gas/nitro guys and struggle with electrics. A few have embraced electrics and are doing well.

I am hoping to learn more and help grow this side of the hobby. Current issue I see is the community's attitude, and then the fact that all the RTR stuff is plastic junk compared to the fiberglass and carbon fiber stuff you have to build yourself. TFL seems to be one of the few big brands selling decent RTR stuff. Also boats are not cheap. Anything decent starts above $600. With Catamarans using 2 motors, 2 ESCs they can go well beyond $1200 easily.

Similar to RC cars many of the boats want to blow over above 70 mph. That is ok for most racers as they run an oval track and rarely go over 65mph. Hydroplanes and very narrow catamarans do a little better at high speeds, but outriggers riggers do best. They literally fly over the water just barely skimming the surface.

View attachment 175444
are you trying to say that your building a 200+ mph boat now???

9DABB643-AEDC-4D06-8018-FAE6A0435FA4.jpeg

83D60D09-8E3F-4B9C-8DC5-32D21028E842.jpeg

FB2D901F-CDB3-496A-AFCF-F5116D3B0715.jpeg

This is a good way to spend $$

Now I have 4 kids so they don’t see much action anymore

This is how I roll most of the time now

52F2AE12-DBF2-4A03-8588-A0D43329C6BF.jpeg
Sorry those last 3 pics loaded on accident

My bad

Last edited by a moderator:
Cars. Wish I could have all my $ back though....

Computers/Gaming.

Managing my lawn/landscaping.

Woodworking.

My wife and kids.

View attachment 175444
I noticed the same thing here with the boat crowd. On Sunday mornings in the summer they show up at a lake near me. 6am. No one is younger than 60yo. LOL. I use to laugh because my then 6yo son was wondering why old men play with boats. Im old and only play with Rc cars. I need a boat now also. And they don't come cheap either. But any surface radio you have will work. (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back