What is your RC LiPo of choice in 2021

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Community Leader
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Mojave EXB
RC LiPo companies come and go (rip SPC) and RC LiPo batteries are constantly changing and improving.

So to stay current, we are doing an annual thread and what to know what you thank are the best RC LiPo batteries. Tell us which LiPo batteries have offered you the best performance, lifespan and price.

If you see a LiPo battery already mentioned, be sure to up vote that reply!
1611703993154.png

If you're looking for suggestions on a lipo charger, be sure to read Recommend me a battery charger. If you're unsure about how to store a LiPo battery, then check out How to store a LiPo battery.

Get previous years recommendations in the original What's your "budget" LiPo of choice? thread.

That said, what are the best RC LiPo batteries for 2021?

I noticed my liperior 65C 5000mah 3S packs puffed a little bit coming out of my outcast after the latest bash session. Not a lot, but enough to notice when comparing them with a ruler. It went down some after they cooled off. Seemed to perform really well though. I run a pair of CNHL 65C 5000mah 3S packs in it as well.

My liperior 45C 5000mah 3S packs are still fine. They have more cycles on them. They were 110F when I pulled them out of my revo 2.0. It's running max6/blx2050 with 21T pinion/54T spur and now backflip MT's.

I've recently purchased HOOVO lipos from Amazon and they've been pretty solid! Good run time, stay balanced, and don't hurt the pocket! 🤷‍♂️

HOOVO 3S 11.1V 80C 5200mAh RC Lipo Battery Hard Case with EC5 Connector

HOOVO 6S 5200mAh 22.2V 60C LiPo Battery with EC5 Plug
I'm using Yowoo 4s 6000mAh 100C graphene batteries on my Crazy O8S and EXB K8S with the XLX2 and 1100kv motors. They have tons of torque and I can do double backflips and other crazy stuff easily with these batteries. I paid $138 plus tax for two off Ebay. About 6 runs through them and a few high jumps. No issues so far.
I'm going to try these budget Goldbat 6s batteries on my Kaiju, but it looks like they would be perfect for a Typhon 6s or Outcast 6s or K6s. They were slightly over charged when I checked for the storage charge. I paid like $54 shipped off Amazon. For a 6s battery?
20210602_125819.jpg
20210602_125849.jpg
20210602_125855.jpg
20210602_130038.jpg
20210602_130427.jpg
:

I noticed my liperior 65C 5000mah 3S packs puffed a little bit coming out of my outcast after the latest bash session. Not a lot, but enough to notice when comparing them with a ruler. It went down some after they cooled off. Seemed to perform really well though. I run a pair of CNHL 65C 5000mah 3S packs in it as well.

My liperior 45C 5000mah 3S packs are still fine. They have more cycles on them. They were 110F when I pulled them out of my revo 2.0. It's running max6/blx2050 with 21T pinion/54T spur and now backflip MT's.
Just got a couple liperior 4S 65C 5000mah for my maxx to try:
2021-0602-liperior-4S-65C.jpg

I had to dremel out the battery bay a bit to fit the 4S 6200mah hobbystar 50C packs that I made, these would not fit without that as well as they are a hair wider still than the 6200mah hobbystar packs:
2021-0602-maxx-TrealServoSaver-installed02.jpg

Stupid traxxas and their narrow battery bays...
2021-0602-hank_hill_narrow_urethra.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite has been my old Turnigy Graphene 6s 5000 /45C pack. It's been lightly abused (left fully charged for weeks, drawn too low, gotten too hot...) and the internal resistance is still low. Still takes a charge, still is punchy, and hasn't puffed at all.

I just picked up a couple SMC DV 5000 6s packs this morning, excited to test them when they arrive.
vpr5793, wondering what your experience has been so far with the SMC DV 5000 6s packs, posted back in March... Was looking at these to replace my hoovo 5200 6s that puffed up like an airbag. Not sure what happened, but they did give me a 50% refund as I only had it for a couple months. Also have had a 6000 6s hoovo for the same amount of time which has held up ok so far but seems to be losing runtime. Just started running a couple 3s 5000 HRB in series, impressed with the runtime I got the other day on these. I thought they'd be close to LVC but were still at 3.8 per cell after a half hour. Unsure about longevity, I guess I'll find out. Looking for something that I don't have to replace in 3 months time. Rather not spend over $100 on a pack but if it means it will last so be it.

I've recently come like the turnigy graphene lipo which I just purchased I have a 4s & 6s of the same battery. They have alot of power on demand.

16227308260868146861416415694903.jpg

This is what I bought for my Granite, so far they are performing flawlessly , very cheap here in Canada and should be even cheaper in the USA. I had one question for their tech department and they were really responsive and even offer to replace a battery or giving me a refund if not happy for any reason ...

1622736344484.png

Short story here...

GenA might make okay batteries but their terrible business practices is what makes them censored on all my sites. They spammed nearly everyone of my site constantly was asked to stop and even offered a vendor status on the site - the ignored it and continued to spam the site. Now anyone from their company using a GenA email has been banned from registering and any mention of them gets censored to show their terrible business practices.

And now you know. ;) :D
Well that's kinda chitty. Such a shame, because they are good batteries. I wonder if they are sorry yet 🤣

Only cause im a first time RC owner. The spektrum smart batteries have been very reluable and if I charge it wreck it and get pissed. I never had to worry with discharging. Lol or thinking I woukd have enough time to bash. Then not. No worry. But bout to upgrade charger (as I have bundle charger combo) then cheaper priced better packs for me.

16250307594867209088210483008486.jpg

Only cause im a first time RC owner. The spektrum smart batteries have been very reluable and if I charge it wreck it and get pissed. I never had to worry with discharging. Lol or thinking I woukd have enough time to bash. Then not. No worry. But bout to upgrade charger (as I have bundle charger combo) then cheaper priced better packs for me.

View attachment 155092
Nothing wrong with that charger!! I rock spektrums also.. 3s.. We wont win tho cuz nobody wants to pay for them!!😡

Nothing wrong with that charger!! I rock spektrums also.. 3s.. We wont win tho cuz nobody wants to pay for them!!😡
You right about that. Spektrum expects to much for their lipos. I know how those lipos perform. They are fine to use. But, I would never pay that price either. #JustSaying,

View attachment 155092
Im a first timer too.. I have the same setup!! I believe u get what u pay for.. But i might be bias because im a spektrum fanboy!!😁😁

But want to put it out there that I’ve have used 3 zee 3s 5200mah in my Senton and kraton. 2 of them have already started to puff.

I’m was interested the 9000mah 100c but ended up going with the gens bashings instead. I’ve beaten the crap out of them with no issue.

As for SMC and HRB I have a few and never had issues. Although the HRB’s will get a bit warm for my comfort level.

Sorry for skipping to the end but, I got 4 of the Zee 2s 5200mah 50c Hardcase battery for my Typhon mega. So far they seem decent. The only issue I have is that when I charge them from when the stock brushed esc cuts out they only charge to about 2500-3500mah.

I'm not sure if that low charge is due to the esc cutting out with more than enough power left in the battery, me using my old Hyperion 610iduo2 charger, or if it's the batteries themselves. Be it that I'm using 50c on a brushed system in grass or if the batteries are labeled as 5200 but are actually a lower rating. I'm not sure at this point in time.

My guess, it's cutting out due to overheat, but your ESC lights would tell you if it was LVC or heat.
Been running Zee for a while and no issues.
At any point, you would only put back about 70-80% of the rated capacity if you want to keep healthy packs. Should be in the 3500-4000mAh range for normal behavior. Check your IR values of the pack, they should be roughly equal across all cells.

Just had a cell fail in a GA Bashing pack that I've used about 10 times. Not sure if I can warranty it.

Looking at Zeee as they are a great price on Amazon (UK). They are hard case and I've only run soft so far. Any issue with the hard case? All I can think of is the hard case could hide any puffing, but protect from puncture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back