What is your RC LiPo of choice in 2022

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SMC 4s HCL 8000mah 120C are here. Tested IR and voltage while new. I ran them for like 7 minutes and they went down to 74% charge. Test vehicle was a K8S with the XLX2 and 1100kv 5687 HW motor. 30/47 gearing. I couldn't run it longer because I ran out of time.
View attachment 340945View attachment 340946View attachment 340947View attachment 340948View attachment 340949View attachment 340950
After 7 minutes of run time off road :
View attachment 340951
Sounds pretty reasonable considering the rig/electronics package you used them in. I'm definitely tempted by the SMC'S. Curious to see how they hold up for you. Why softpacks? The hard case are pretty much same price no?

My question would be 'Why hardpacks'? Always had issues with wires cutting at exit etc, imho hardcase should be banned.
Honestly, my preference for hardcase is because usually the leads come out the top of a hardcase. Which I have had less issues from. The softpacks usually come out the end and end up smashing against the end of a battery tray. Really depends on the battery tray design as to which works best. Of course while bashing off road, nearly anything could puncture a softpack at speed.. hardcase can be fragile though too, often a false sense of security. For me, it's more about where the leads exit the pack that I'm concerned about. Arrma 8s trays and softpacks don't play well together IMO.
Also, FWIW, I have noted in the past that @Armarookie43 seems pretty rough on his equipment, maybe hardcase would be a better choice for his use. The Gens and PH batteries he shared pics of in a previous post looked like they had done a tour in Afghanistan, LOL.

Last edited:
My question would be 'Why hardpacks'? Always had issues with wires cutting at exit etc, imho hardcase should be banned.
Personally, I've had just as much issues with either soft case or hard case. I've never had a hard case cut the wires or even slice the silicone, but they have had balance wires get disconnected from the cell internally - on quite a few of my hard cases actually. Conversely, I've only ever had soft case lipos get sliced wires (main and balance), but they've never had a balance wire get disconnected internally from the cell. 🤷‍♂️

Personally, I've had just as much issues with either soft case or hard case. I've never had a hard case cut the wires or even slice the silicone, but they have had balance wires get disconnected from the cell internally - on quite a few of my hard cases actually. Conversely, I've only ever had soft case lipos get sliced wires (main and balance), but they've never had a balance wire get disconnected internally from the cell. 🤷‍♂️
Good points..I know most manufacturers recommend hardcase, and understand why, but they aren't truly much if any safer IMO. I have to admit, I'm more value driven than anything else.

Sounds pretty reasonable considering the rig/electronics package you used them in. I'm definitely tempted by the SMC'S. Curious to see how they hold up for you. Why softpacks? The hard case are pretty much same price no?
They are not soft packs actually, they are semi hard cased and they have metal plates around them too from what I gather. Today I went and tested the SMC on my K8S and Xmaxx. I ran them almost non stop for 15 minutes and I still had 14% battery left on both vehicles. I'm using the other set I just got (the 8400mah that actually have a plastic Hardcase) for the Xmaxx. They performed very well. Both vehicles had plenty of punch and top speed. I'm debating if I should keep jumping my vehicles, since that's what kills my batteries in about a year 🤔. Comparing pics and levels after a 15 minute run with both vehicles. I'm happy for now :

20240210_165653.jpg

20240210_165700.jpg

20240210_185257.jpg

20240210_185510.jpg

Honestly, my preference for hardcase is because usually the leads come out the top of a hardcase. Which I have had less issues from. The softpacks usually come out the end and end up smashing against the end of a battery tray. Really depends on the battery tray design as to which works best. Of course while bashing off road, nearly anything could puncture a softpack at speed.. hardcase can be fragile though too, often a false sense of security. For me, it's more about where the leads exit the pack that I'm concerned about. Arrma 8s trays and softpacks don't play well together IMO.
Also, FWIW, I have noted in the past that @Armarookie43 seems pretty rough on his equipment, maybe hardcase would be a better choice for his use. The Gens and PH batteries he shared pics of in a previous post looked like they had done a tour in Afghanistan, LOL.
When I use batteries where the cables come out at the ends, I put a piece of foam in between the end of the battery tray and the cables so that they don't get damaged. Yeah, I'm starting to debate should I jump my rigs anymore. I'm definitely NEVER going to jump them into concrete landings for sure. That probably has killed my batteries no doubt. Heck, I'm even hesitant to jump on grass.

Back